Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doin' well there Paul, just wait till the relations see then and you be on a production run. :lol:

Or a visitor arrives and says I like that pattern, especially if it was in a wood like that, whereupon someone near and dear to you says "no problem he'll do one for you after we've had lunch" :roll: (hammer)

Tam/CHJ wrote
just wait till the relations see then and you be on a production run.

Or a visitor arrives and says I like that pattern, especially if it was in a wood like that, whereupon someone near and dear to you says "no problem he'll do one for you after we've had lunch"

Sounds good to me :D :D :D

Paul.J.

Not so much todays effort but this week.
Decided to carry on tinkering with the pens as they will make a good xmas presie so made all these in between other things.
Wood used was Yew,on the right,Zebrano,on the left,and Olive Ash on just the 3 at the top.Also made a mix between Yew and Zebrano on one.
Click on piccy.

Paul.J.

You've been busy this week then Paul, bout time you found a use for that Zebrano you keep buying, got rid of some of the Pent up :sick: frustration that has been building the last couple of weeks I guess :lol: The Yew ones certainly look attractive when you can get the colour blend across the blank.

Addictive aren't they, cut up a load more blanks in Yew and coloured Ash myself yesterday to fill an order over and above the home consumption ones that seem to be getting allocated as quick as I can produce them.

Been doing some in green cherry, cut them a little larger 18-20mm to allow for warping whilst drying, some long grain, hardly moved, some cross grain moved quite a lot but still well within usable tolerance, considerable difference in appearance between the two cuts when finished, the cross grain results in a sheen like reflection that changes with the light when you turn them adds interest into what could be a bland wood at this size.

Had a rogue tube length in a click kit I had from axminster, 2mm shorter than it should be, might know I did not cotton on until it was assembled and the refill would not retract far enough #-o guess who will check all kits from now on just in case.

Ya'all get writers cramp with that lot :lol:

Mind you I bet it keeps you out of mischief!

Great looking gifts!

Another one for the 'learn how to do list' :idea:

<Slap> Reminder to myself to learn how to walk before running ...... :?

Seriously very nice collection.

Thanks for the comments :D
I think that will be that for a bit with the pen making,unless i get a huge order from somewhere :lol: :lol:
CHJ wrote
Addictive aren't they
They most certainly are Chas.I have always wondered how these pens were made and here i am now making them meself.Great :D
And
Had a rogue tube length in a click kit I had from axminster, 2mm shorter than it should be
Yes Chas this is something to look out for.I took all mine out the bags to rough the edge up,and laid them all flat against a piece of timber to check for this.

Paul.J.

Clock No2.
One of another 3 to make for xmas pressy's. :roll:
Slightly different to my first with a smaller plinth for it to stand on,again from the middle off cut,still just as stable.
Made from Yew with lovely colouring again,i do like this timber :D
Finish is sealer and Melamine spray.
Might try a different plinth for the next one :shock:

Click on images.

Paul.J.

Nice ticker Paul, when you make the next one flare the foot out a bit. Same as you did with this one just wider at the base. Aesthetics :lol: IMO

Nice clock faces those, got a couple but not had time to make them up yet. Too many other things going on at the moment. :roll:

Beautiful piece,Paul - the clock movement is very nice on it's own,but the yew manages to highlight it very nicely,without overpowering it. :D

Andrew

Thanks for the comments Tam/Andrew :D

TEP wrote
when you make the next one flare the foot out a bit
Yes Tam your right.I'm not happy with the plinths so i might look at a different way for the others :roll:

Powertool wrote
the clock movement is very nice on it's own
Again Andrew you are right.It is difficult to show the wood off with such an attractive clock face which shows more than the wood.
Paul.J.

Another piece of Horse Chestnut today.
A platter come bowl.
I just love the figuring in this.Is this normal for Chestnut or as it got some spalting going on :?
Sizes are,330mm dia x 50mm deep.
Finished with sealer and wax :D

Click on images.

Paul.J.

Like the proportions Paul, If that is Sweet Chestnut it has far more colour than any I have handled but the Horse chestnut someone gave me has similar colouring in certain pieces.

Nice dish Paul, good shape and finish. And yes it does look as if some spalting has begun/taken place.

Thanks Chas/Tam.

CHJ wrote
but the Horse chestnut someone gave me has similar colouring in certain pieces
I wonder who that was then :-k

TEP wrote
And yes it does look as if some spalting has begun/taken place.
I wondered if it was ever since i've had it.Just all seems so solid still.
I thought when spalting had taken place some of the wood would be softer more rotten,but all that i have cut up so far seems sound,i'm glad to say,as theres plenty :D
Paul.J.

Paul the soft/rotted pulpy part of the wood is the later stages of spalting. You have obviously got a piece in the early stages, and it will still be quite sound.

HI paul

It looks like brown chestnut, AN EXAMPLE.

This, I have been told, is caused by the Beefsteak fungus which also attacks oak trees and turns them brown. A little bit more info HERE

john

Thanks for that John :D
So would this make the wood rare to come by,making the turnings more expensive to buy,if i could sell some :roll: compared to an ordinary piece of Horse Chestnut,and would this apply to other woods too,that have unfamiliar markings on it. :?:
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back