TMS, Radio 4 LW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Dreadful engine interference when trying to listen to the Old Trafford Test Match in the car - Increases with engine speed.
Can't find it at all on medium wave, so that's out.
Any gadget to rectify?

I haven't heard of that problem for 40 years.

We used to fit a capacitor to the dynamo.

Alternators and FM radio cured it for me.

A car accessory shop probably get you fixed up.

Much harder these days because you can't get to anything in a modern car, but back in the day a common cause was poor earth connection for the aerial lead, either at the aerial base or the radio body. Aside from that, it was capacitors in various places.

Is TMS on Radio 5X live/sport? Only helpful if you have a DAB radio but most things do these days. Or, if you can plug your phone in and play from that install the BBC sounds app and listen live to 5x which does carry it. Uses a bit iof data but not much.

I haven't heard of that problem for 40 years.

We used to fit a capacitor to the dynamo.

Alternators and FM radio cured it for me.

A car accessory shop probably get you fixed up.

It is knocking on a bit, but not 40!
Factory-fitted Honda job.
Maybe is the earth connection, then....

Cheers, boys.

It is knocking on a bit, but not 40!

I remember when cars came without radios, you could just fit your own underneath the fascia board. Manual tuning, then along came ones with pre set push buttons, 4 for MW one for LW. You pulled the button out, turned it to the station you wanted, then released it and it would always spring to that position if you pressed it, all 'mechanical' . Then FM came along and we got electronic tuning, still press button. Now I 'stab' at a touchscreen and hope.

In a box in the garage I still have an Echo, manual tune, Motorola 5 push button and a Panasonic FM one, and I suspect a capacitor or two in my bag of bits. Wholly useless now, need a clear out.

If your Honda is 2015 ish it might have DAB and you might get 5x.

Without changing anything, you should be able to either:

Add DAB capability
or Use bluetooth functionality/cabled functionality from a smart phone and a free app

Neither of which should cost a lot - that said for example last August I replaced the factory fit stereo in my daughters 2006 Ford Ka - the new stereo with DAB, FM/MW, bluetooth, Handsfree & steering wheel remote was less than £25 but she loves it (the speakers were ok in the KA).
I also replaced the cradle and facia but that again was probably less than £15

She doesn't much care about the car as long as she can have her music! LOL

Time was when an interference suppressor was available to be inserted into the distributor coil lead; or one could buy leads for each spark plug to reduce if not remove interference fully.

Not a car fixing reply...

If you have a smart phone and you are going to shops - might be worth asking about feeding radio from a phone app into the stereo and buying a little lead / adaptor.

Listening through BBC website / app is better than LW (no shipping forecast interruptions etc) and when BBC don't have the contract, you can listen through the talksport app to the test matches or ODIs.

Just my opinion but its so annoying when you have a bit of driving to do and you tune in and its not on the BBC.

All the best - enjoy the rest of the Old Trafford test.

Actually, chaps, I've just heard that '23 is the final year for 198LW to cover test cricket, so with only one (not doubt, very exciting!) final test after Old Trafford, and the fact that I don't listen to anything else on LW, I won't be splashing out on any solution!

Latest posts

Back