Inefficient appliance repair.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all new W/M's now, only come with Cold Fill only.....I cant remember the last time I even came across a W/M with both hot & cold inlet pipes. They heat the water to the required temperature dictated by the program chosen.

As to the logic of whether to supply the machine with hot water rather than cold,......Domestic hot water in the UK should be supplied at 60/65 degrees optimally, so if you are only putting water in at this temperature, when you set your machine to run on a cooler temperature program, say 30 degrees for example for delicates,.......How is the machine going to reduce the incoming water temperature to suit the program you've chosen....??🤔🤔🤔

I think all new W/M's now, only come with Cold Fill only.....I cant remember the last time I even came across a W/M with both hot & cold inlet pipes. They heat the water to the required temperature dictated by the program chosen.

As to the logic of whether to supply the machine with hot water rather than cold,......Domestic hot water in the UK should be supplied at 60/65 degrees optimally, so if you are only putting water in at this temperature, when you set your machine to run on a cooler temperature program, say 30 degrees for example for delicates,.......How is the machine going to reduce the incoming water temperature to suit the program you've chosen....??🤔🤔🤔
The appliances of yore had both hot and cold inlets.

Rees Smug thinks so...washerwomen..kids up chimneys..oiks who know their place..
my first washing machine in the UK was a tin bath, then later a machine with a mangle ( which granny was always very careful leaning over ) , then a twin tub.They all had hot and cold fill.

Cold fill only, a nonsense, if you have already heated the water in your tank why fill with cold water and heat it, makes no sense to me just a waste of energy, it can only be the manufactures do not want to put that extra mixing valve and controls on the machine to save then the cost.
The modern machines use a lot less water and it heats very quickly, but yes it was a saving for the OEM's as they saved on the extra pipe and valve and maybe it is cheaper to heat a few pints of water in the washing machine rather than take a small amount from the hot water cylinder. If it is a Combi then I would think it is better to use the water heated by gas than electricity.

That's a valid point, Brian, except for the differential in gas and electricity prices, but I realise you said efficient, rather than economical. We have both solar water and PV, both inherited from the previous house owners. If I was starting from scratch, I think I'd have all PV, as the solar water doesn't do much in winter, but immersion heaters and the necessary diverter equipment are relatively cheap.
You can of course use a hot fill machine as cold fill only by joining both hot and cold hoses to the cold supply utilising a y-piece.

You can of course use a hot fill machine as cold fill only by joining both hot and cold hoses to the cold supply utilising a y-piece.
you could also use a TMV valve to supply a cold only fill with hot water at the required temp.

you could also use a TMV valve to supply a cold only fill with hot water at the required temp.
I'm told that's a bad idea, as some wash stages work better with cool water. Something to do with conditioner I think... but don't quote me on that.

Westinghouse WM's years ago had thermostatically controlled fill valves they worked fine even for cool washes.

Back