Thicknesser vs Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on a sec.......

:)
Before you say it Mike...Oy Oy Oy...!!
Jack, one of the many things no longer taught is to clear up after you. The world moves on and life changes, except for grumpy old men, who never change. :)
Hey, you dont have to be ashamed of being australian,(I even went there once) no need for the "pacific region" address (y):cool:

LOL!! Sunnybob...I get grumpy sometimes...mostly from pain (apprenticeship injuries which have done so much damage...) however the reason I put "Pacific Region' is my significant mistrust of the Internet....too personal, too many questions, nothing sacred and everything recorded...'a tool of the devil' sweetened...I've been to pommierania too...I really liked it there other than the Indian Curry" I had in Soho...imagining it likely place for a good curry. Drove a lot...loved those country laneways, the hill forts, the magnificent coastal houses and hotels, sadly run down, enjoyed London theatre...'The Lady in Black'...wanted to compare with our Opera House version and a Sommerset Maugham play with Peter Bowles (Present Laughter?). Stayed a while in Canford Cliffs and visited about there, also Kent and Peterbrough I have no convict heritage but my family has been here since 1868 so we qualify... but a five of my ancestral family (Kirwan/Kurvan)were executed in Wicklow after the revolution. I also lived about 3 months in Provence and 3 years elsewhere in France, visited Spain and Portugal. So you were here once...hopefully you enjoyed 'horstroylya' maaaate.

Jack,
My sister, and one of my wifes cousins, were both ten pound poms. My sister came back after the five years were up, but the other stayed and raised a family, and 'er indoors now has a few cousins in and around Sydney.
My trip to OZ was eventful. We went to Uluru to see the sunset. It rained. The guide told us how lucky we were because thats so rare. I told him we were from England, and rain was neither lucky nor rare. We went back next day to see the sunrise. Nope. He didnt try to tell me that clouds were lucky that time.
We went to Cairns. I thought that the local council were very considerate putting posts every 100 yards along the beach for smokers to stub their cigarettes out. Then it was explained that every post was a first aid station containing bottles of vinegar for stinger and jelly fish bites.
I went in the sea, but it had to be in a tennis court sized steel netted enclosure to keep out more dangerous animals than I can remember, and even then had to stay at least two foot away from the net in case stingers trailed their tentacles through. I didnt stay long.
We went to the great barrier reef. By this time I was afraid to tell them that the barrier had failed and was flooded.
We went to Sydney, stayed at Manly. Got the ferry across the harbour and rounded the opera house straight into the blackest thunderstorm I have ever seen. All the locals were celebrating and going on about an 8 year drought being broken. I was just thinking that I'd flown all that way to get wet AGAIN.

You can understand my vow to never return. :cool:
The most interesting thing I saw was the Olgas, something I had never heard about and cant understand why more isnt made of it as a tourist attraction.

Jack,
My sister, and one of my wifes cousins, were both ten pound poms. My sister came back after the five years were up, but the other stayed and raised a family, and 'er indoors now has a few cousins in and around Sydney.
My trip to OZ was eventful. We went to Uluru to see the sunset. It rained. The guide told us how lucky we were because thats so rare. I told him we were from England, and rain was neither lucky nor rare. We went back next day to see the sunrise. Nope. He didnt try to tell me that clouds were lucky that time.
We went to Cairns. I thought that the local council were very considerate putting posts every 100 yards along the beach for smokers to stub their cigarettes out. Then it was explained that every post was a first aid station containing bottles of vinegar for stinger and jelly fish bites.
I went in the sea, but it had to be in a tennis court sized steel netted enclosure to keep out more dangerous animals than I can remember, and even then had to stay at least two foot away from the net in case stingers trailed their tentacles through. I didnt stay long.
We went to the great barrier reef. By this time I was afraid to tell them that the barrier had failed and was flooded.
We went to Sydney, stayed at Manly. Got the ferry across the harbour and rounded the opera house straight into the blackest thunderstorm I have ever seen. All the locals were celebrating and going on about an 8 year drought being broken. I was just thinking that I'd flown all that way to get wet AGAIN.

You can understand my vow to never return. :cool:
The most interesting thing I saw was the Olgas, something I had never heard about and cant understand why more isnt made of it as a tourist attraction.

LOL!!...Sunnybob You have seen things I haven't including the 'stinger posts'....We do enjoy rain though we only call hot days 'good days'. The place is about 80% desert, is being 'culturally rebuilt by cultural fascists and we did welcome 10 pound pommies...although some found the penal colony too hard to bear and that the convicts were not subservient...so they went home where someone will listen to their whinging...vive Alf Garnett!!...

When Morse came here I'm blowed it I know how he got to Canowindra (Hereford the show called it) as you pass the old falling down 'Dunlop' signed shed on your left when going in the right direction. It was on his right. The sun was shining the whole time he was here...including at the opera house. You must have 'killed a chinaman' as the old expression goes as you were not able to enjoy your trip. Still...it helped you appreciate home. You were lucky to get to Ayers Rock (I don't observe pious-imposed cultural fashions and divisive indigenous politics) we have to beg our way into there now.

Yes there are some really astounding places off the beaten track...Come back in good weather? but it has to rain maaaaate....but it's so unpredictable. I built a new dam in 2015 . It may now be full but it wasn't at any time up until March this year...I think it had about 3 inches in it until then. I do wish however we had Boris as PM... he's well worth the job even for entertainment value.

I omitted the final straw.....
I had to fly back a week early because of work, leaving my family there. I got on a quaint ars at sydney bound for hong kong. Boarded and took off, not being too aware of my surroundings. As the planes seat belts light went out, the two blokes next to me stood up and went for the overhead lockers. I turned around and discovered the entire plane's passengers were male. ALL of them reached into overhead lockers and started drinking their pitiful excuse for beer. I managed to ask an attendant what was happening. I found I was the only passenger on the entire plane who was not a member of the Australian rugby supporters club. On an 11 hour flight , at four hours in they announced the plane had no more beer or water. At 5 hours in the captain announced they could no longer flush the toilets so please dont use them.

Oz, wonderful place, so long as it stays on the other side of the world to me. 🙄 :cool: :cool:

I omitted the final straw.....
I had to fly back a week early because of work, leaving my family there. I got on a quaint ars at sydney bound for hong kong. Boarded and took off, not being too aware of my surroundings. As the planes seat belts light went out, the two blokes next to me stood up and went for the overhead lockers. I turned around and discovered the entire plane's passengers were male. ALL of them reached into overhead lockers and started drinking their pitiful excuse for beer. I managed to ask an attendant what was happening. I found I was the only passenger on the entire plane who was not a member of the Australian rugby supporters club. On an 11 hour flight , at four hours in they announced the plane had no more beer or water. At 5 hours in the captain announced they could no longer flush the toilets so please dont use them.

Oz, wonderful place, so long as it stays on the other side of the world to me. 🙄 :cool: :cool:

But it gave you memories.....

My opinion of sporting heroes and icons is not high. I can recall some disgusting 'away' trips with footballers.

British soccer brings out the worst in Britain's bovver-boy louts and psycho's which excuse their ratbaggery on 'paasionate support' for the dull game of soccer, made much more tolrable, even interesting by the better players and less of drama queens and narcissists in womens' soccer.

Today those 'sportsmen promenaded as 'examples for children'in Australia are tattoo'd, commonly 'uh derr' with a 3 sentence repertoire "yeah (snort) we done good (snort grunt)" being one. Tough and gymnasium tuned, peaked and not uncommonly on steroids some, I am aware, have professions. They commonly use drugs , drink a lot, are violent, have sexual accusations....yep, just how the rest of the place is turning out. The worst movie ever to come out was 'Once were Warriors" which began this tribal mania and tattooing ugliness. We unfortunately treat and excuse low brow and low bred 'sportsmen' as errant children. So do all nations which hang their hats on 'sport is our culture'.

One thing Australians had was tolerance of others, That wasn't the way the New Order wanted it so now it is the accusative propaganda enforced on us demanding we be 'multicultural' as opposed to tolerant..a euphemism for 'local culture annihilation'....It created suburbs which this lot or that claim to be 'ours' in which 'others' are not welcome...Parramatta and Granville for example.

So having made some comment I guess you can have at least one happy memory in your life...landing back in "civilisation"... having fled the 'penal-colony-run-amok.' Don't say we never did anything for you...ok...?

Agree totally with all of that, but that now leads this thread into politics, which means there will now be at least three people arguing pointlessly and forever until the thread gets locked. 🙄
Note I never once said a bad word about australians, I got on well with those I met, we have a common "no bullshit" attitude. Unlike Mexicans, everyone of whom I met in Mexico had their hands out for dollars without the slightest smile on their faces.
Oh no, I've gone political again.:cool:

Hi Peter and welcome,
Just to point out a "jointer" and a "thicknesser are different machines. Here in the UK a jointer is called a planer. And funnily enough Americans call a thicknesser a planer
:confused:

You mention that most of your work is scollsaw based such as, I presume, intarsia or marquetry type stuff. If you have no intention of working on furniture sized projects (tables & chairs) then perhaps the range of power tools made by Proxxon would probably be best suited to what you do. There is also the option of using hand tools to prepare your stack and this in general does not require as large a cash input as machinery in general. Also it is most often, once you know what you are doing, far quicker to use hand tools for small one off jobs than it is with machinery. if you are making a large amount of the same parts then machinery wins hands done.

Below is a link to Proxxon's UK agent and the range they carry:

https://www.brimarc.com/search/results?query=Proxxon&index[]=all&submit=Search
If you are planning to also do larger stuff then the Axminster hobby range is pretty good. Not the cheapest but their follow up customer support is generally second to none. their site below:

https://www.axminstertools.com/machinery/planers-thicknessers
For smaller things from axminster
https://www.axminstertools.com/prox...E8Jk9U3M9wwMRty3iWbU9Tz_ktzmQzCUaAnEzEALw_wcB
https://www.axminstertools.com/prox...D-ZMug9gAiD91DhmdfrDUxc25Ig8T078aAhowEALw_wcB

Remember as well that the 2 machines can be bought as separate machines but are available as combination machines as well to save a litttle space but that saving brings a slight reduction in capacity.

Look forward to seeing what you produce. You''ll find the people here welcoming and eager to proffer help and advice should you need it
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at Proxxon but I think that they are a bit pricey.

Please send details of unit and price you are looking for.

I have one of these on wheels (I made a stand from an ikea bedside table with casters). It works really well, albeit I use sacrificial timber at start and end of feeding to avoid snipe. I do face and edge flattening by hand and use the triton thicknesser to get pieces uniform. Works well in a room about the size of yours.

Thanks for the advice. I have looked at Proxxon but I think that they are a bit pricey.
Hi Peter.

What are the typical dimensions of the stock that you work with and when you say very small workshop does that mean you are looking for something that you sit on the bench rather than the floor?

Cheers
Mainly pallet wood and white goods packing strips so 50 to 100 wide and 12 to 25 thick. My workshop is about 3m x 1.8m and am looking for bench mounted as floor space is at a premium.

I have one of these on wheels (I made a stand from an ikea bedside table with casters). It works really well, albeit I use sacrificial timber at start and end of feeding to avoid snipe. I do face and edge flattening by hand and use the triton thicknesser to get pieces uniform. Works well in a room about the size of yours.
Can you tell me the Model No. and your price please.

Agree totally with all of that, but that now leads this thread into politics, which means there will now be at least three people arguing pointlessly and forever until the thread gets locked. 🙄
Note I never once said a bad word about australians, I got on well with those I met, we have a common "no bullshit" attitude. Unlike Mexicans, everyone of whom I met in Mexico had their hands out for dollars without the slightest smile on their faces.
Oh no, I've gone political again.:cool:

All ok and I'm not extending it I hope but just for a smile and a different angle...By curious coincidence I just (an hour ago) watched an old Australian (filmed) advert from 50's with "Chipp's" Rafferty... asking Australians to take in English migrants to their homes and to help them find jobs. In my family, when only 4 children of an eventual 16 my mother several fostered babies from St Anthony's at Croydon. When only six children we took in New Guinea police during the Queen's visit, then two chinese blokes down on their luck, for a couple of years, then a family of 7 Australians who'd lost their home to their father's gambling for over a year, then for over 16 years a deformed man who'd had a very hard life. He stayed until he died.

Dad took on several people in his small business over the years at request of the St V de P organisation. One, an extremely competent accountant who'd already done-over Myers nearly ruined his business through 'competently creative accounting' which took auditors 3 months to crack' another stealing Dad's customers and racking up large 'entertainment expenses while he was away, interstate after his mother died pretty well finished it off. Then developers burnt him out. I'll leave it there rather than comment other than . aussie aussie aussie oy oy oy. LOL!!

Back