Biscuit Jointers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re the thin material - I'm just trying to establish the usefulness of the machine. If I can use 12mm ply/mdf as opposed to 18mm there is a big saving to be had. But I'd the tool isn't suitable for 12mm then might just forget it

I have successfully used biscuits to join 12mm ply. Gives 4mm each side of the slot which is less than the 6mm @Yojevol recommends but it worked OK for me. I wouldn’t like to go thinner though, especially as the face slot may breakthrough on the opposite side of the material even with #0 biscuits.
I have an old Axminster ‘White’ biscuit joiner which is OK although I find referencing off the bottom of the machine rather than the adjustable fence is most accurate.

It's very useful tool for sheet goods. 9 mm is about minimum thickness you will get away with as that only leaves 2.5 mm on each side of the biscuit. Conventional biscuits of compressed beech will ' telegraph ' through the surface so I use plywood biscuits to avoid this.
My best advice is to look for a secondhand Lamello top 10 /20. They are beautifully made, very precise and can have a 3 mm blade fitted for thin stock. You can dial in the blade height which is great for getting the slot spot on. Biscuit jointing can be fiddly and if you buy a cheap machine you will probably give up in frustration. :rolleyes:
Good advice. Aware of the brand but very expensive?

I have successfully used biscuits to join 12mm ply. Gives 4mm each side of the slot which is less than the 6mm @Yojevol recommends but it worked OK for me. I wouldn’t like to go thinner though, especially as the face slot may breakthrough on the opposite side of the material even with #0 biscuits.
I have an old Axminster ‘White’ biscuit joiner which is OK although I find referencing off the bottom of the machine rather than the adjustable fence is most accurate.
Thanks for the advice

You really need a minimum of 6mm of meat on both sides of the biscuit. When used with PVA the biscuit absorbs moisture and tends to expand thus locking itself into it's slot. I have on occasions used biscuits in thin materials but I've made my own out of hardwood to avoid the problem.
Can't advise on make or cordless types. Mine is a DeWalt in its original Elu livery which has always worked for me.
Brian
So, realistically, we’re talking 18mm sheet material, I guess.

For solid wood I have joined down to about 12mm, but would assume that for sheet materials as others have said, using non-expanding biscuit is best.

I have the Erbauer £80 wired model - and yes not as great as the more expensive brands, but with careful setup for my jobs works absolutely fine. Really depends on how much you are going to use it as to whether or not it is worth paying more or not.

That's what I thought initially but have since discovered that the the 00 and the 10 size are still 4mm thick it's the length and width that become smaller
I think you'd be OK with 4mm biscuits in 12mm stock. Just take care to centre the biscuit.
pm me if you're interested in a mains Makita, old, but little used.

Good advice. Aware of the brand but very expensive?
Yes, anything made by Lamello is expensive although they crop up on ebay now and again. I'm a believer in the ' buy once. buy right ' principle.
I would also make sure you have dust extraction - it saves wear and tear on the machine. Biscuits are great for small cabinets but don't forget you have to get a sash clamp across them . They are good for kitchen cabinets for instance but wardrobes are more problematic. If you can rise to a Lamello top 10 you will never need another machine for life. :giggle:

Back