Why do we get such a limited choice of planers/machines in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lski

Reaction score
Have been looking for a planer and thicknesser recently and find the choice really poor, especially in non 3 phase (which I can't get in my rural workshop anyways)

And I come across stuff like this what Jet offer

https://jettools.com/woodworking/jointers/jwj-8hh-8-helical-head-jointer-2hp-1ph-230v

And Carbartec

https://www.carbatec.com.au/jointer-8-inch

Am I insane for thinking that surely Axminster could offer something like this? I know they used to do a little cast iron 6" model for years.. why not offer an 8" model of it like one of these?

Never really go there, but it reminds me of other such poor options the UK gets, for instance in McDonalds, I know the options abroad are way way more elaborate..

They have sold 8 inch joiners even that jet model. They must not have sold enough. I've been tempted by used ones a few times tbh.

8” is a silly American size, British planing machines have always been 9” or 10” due to that being the size timber deals came in.

Surface Planers are much more difficult to find now as it’s not really a machine used much outside of the industry anymore and hobbyists are more likely to buy a combined unit, so there’s no manufacturers of the smaller and inexpensive surface planers. You’ll be able to find a decent secondhand one like a Multico L, S, or NS on eBay for peanuts and it will be a much nicer machine than most new ones, the only thing is you don’t get one of those fancy helical cutter heads with older machines, but they are largely a gimmick anyway.

Are you dead set on 8", I have a 12" planer thicknesses and would struggle with that size with the boards I buy these days.

Have you looked at 1 phase to 3 phase converters? I know its an additional cost but miles cheaper than getting 3 phase installed, if you are able to in the first place. It would open up your options if your electrical system can handle it.

Back in the 80's you had 10 " planer/ thicknessers like Scheppach, DeWalt and Kity - all aimed at the DIY market. They did the job and were well priced. I can't understand their demise - especially Scheppach as they must have sold shedloads of them in Europe. Unless you can afford professional machines the only option is now the gear coming out of Taiwan. It's the same in the US - I don't think there is a native manufacturer left there now.

Back in the 80's you had 10 " planer/ thicknessers like Scheppach, DeWalt and Kity - all aimed at the DIY market. They did the job and were well priced. I can't understand their demise - especially Scheppach as they must have sold shedloads of them in Europe. Unless you can afford professional machines the only option is now the gear coming out of Taiwan. It's the same in the US - I don't think there is a native manufacturer left there now.
Northfield Woodworking Machinery https://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/jointers.htm is still functioning, servicing old machinery and, I believe, selling new. I dreamed of getting one, but haven't the lifetime or the space.
Addendum- Maybe not, as their website is not well maintained.

Last edited:
Agree its an odd size. There are many more 10inch 260mm planers around, Record, Metabo/Elektra beckum, Sheppach,Kity, Startrite etc etc.
Just make sure it has a cast iron bed construction.

One of the reasons is that there is only a small DIY market in the UK and limited retailers who all want a profit so we get a lot of rebranded asian goods.

If you want quality and more choice then maybe look at getting a digital phase convertor which can provide you with a 400 volt 50Hz fixed three phase supply and then look for refurbed 3 phase machinery that people like @Sideways and @deema may be able to direct you towards.

Or this.
s-l1600.jpg

^^^
735 still not available on the European market, only the old 733.

Which isn't available in the UK.
Yup, that was my point in response to " Why do we get such a limited choice of planers/machines in the UK? "
^^^
735 still not available on the European market, only the old 733.
I like the format of it though. Smaller but wider footprint
The actually thicknesser i think its probably based on is the Axminster/Jet/etc 15"
This really is the dingo's danglies. If you can find one of these you'll never buy another.
78937254_2437651146494782_1948802098724339712_n.jpg

I’m a little confused as you have asked for a planer and thicknesser but the examples you have shown us are only planers (or jointers if you’re infected by Americanisms), if you do want both I’m surprised nobody has mentioned SCM minimax or Hammer combined planer thicknessers, the SCM one I have is single phase, and absolutely brilliant, 12” top and bottom with Tersa cutters.
Just to say that Americans call a thicknesser a planer, confused? most of us are!
Ian

Just to say that Americans call a thicknesser a planer, confused? most of us are!
Ian
Well its not really when you think about it in the form of how you plane timber. The timber sits on the bench and you push the hand plane across it.

A jointer, while its function can be to flatten, in many jobs I've worked on the majority of the time we just pushed the rough off saw board through the thicknesser(UK) a couple of times to take some of the cup out of it, then(Basically so it doesnt wobble when turned),turned it over and removed the cup from that side, turning again until the finished dimension was achieved.
The time the planer(surfacer) was used was for edging, which as you know is the step you need to join boards together or finished right angled edges.

The two big flat sides are parallel, so having either of those against the fence is all thats needed, the actual edge isnt dependent on anything else. I mean you dont have to surface one side first, just make sure both sides are parallel.

I think the only time I used the surface planer for long stock, was when making doors to have the stiles/rails perfectly flat. Everywhere else the long wide/flat boards are going on to the cross cutter or saw bench to be dimensioned length/width that way.

Last edited:
Well its not really when you think about it in the form of how you plane timber. The timber sits on the bench and you push the hand plane across it.

A jointer, while its function can be to flatten, in many jobs I've worked on the majority of the time we just pushed the rough off saw board through the thicknesser(UK) a couple of times to take some of the cup out of it, then(Basically so it doesnt wobble when turned),turned it over and removed the cup from that side, turning again until the finished dimension was achieved.
The time the planer(surfacer) was used was for edging, which as you know is the step you need to join boards together or finished right angled edges.

The two big flat sides are parallel, so having either of those against the fence is all thats needed, the actual edge isnt dependent on anything else. I mean you dont have to surface one side first, just make sure both sides are parallel.

I think the only time I used the surface planer for long stock, was when making doors to have the stiles/rails perfectly flat. Everywhere else the long wide/flat boards are going on to the cross cutter or saw bench to be dimensioned length/width that way.
Sorry I feel I must disagree, whilst you may get away with doing it that way most of the time, any bow along the length of a board will still be there if you only use a thicknesser due to its short bed, if it starts out bowed it will finish bowed. Yes it will be the same thickness all the way along, but bent. I certainly didn’t just use my Planer(uk) just for putting an edge on boards, after all that’s why they’re wide enough to put full boards across.
Ian

A dreadful practice indicative of workshops with unskilled labour and low quality work, the only occasion in which it is acceptable is in planing mills producing thin plank products such as tongue and groove planks in long lengths where it would be impossible to straighten without substantial loss of material.

Thicknessing without prior surface planing does not remove bows or twists, and often will introduce twist if the board is cupped in its width.

I do hope you were not working in these places for long.

If one wishes to plane one side of a board flat, using just a thicknesser, it can be done by supporting it on a known flat board, using wedges in the dips, and forming a cradle. This whole assembly can be passed through the thicknesser, Best not use any metal fastenings, but rely on glue and dowels, just in case you get a catch. :giggle:

Back