Axminster AW2260s planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a very similar situation and had totalled nearly £3k in my basket on axminster, but as previously said here I made the realisation I'm a part time woodworker and clearly didn't need to spend that on PayPal credit obviously lol.

So I took some excellent advice on here and went on the hunt for some old machines, a couple months later I now have a solid dewalt PT and it works like a dream.

I needed a once over, clean up and oil. Everything tightened and the a bit of time getting the cast tables aligned and blades straight etc.

If you bought a brand new one you'd still have to spend time putting together and setting it up the same, but it's so much more enjoyable having an old machine and getting back to performing great.

I owe a lot of blokes a beer on here from all the excellent advice and knowledge so take it like gold lol...
Which dewalt did you get - I'm looking at a 2nd hand one for quite a volume of thicknessing?
Cheers
Steve

My 3Kw electric kettle runs off a 13amp plug just fine.

2000/230 = 8.7 amps rounded up, any start up surge can be accommodated with a MCB or even an RCBO change, one assumes an induction motor at this price point.
Ann MCB or motor rated fuse will cope with a surge current but generally a standard 13 amp fuse in a plug wont cope with the surge current from a 2kW motor

Ann MCB or motor rated fuse will cope with a surge current but generally a standard 13 amp fuse in a plug wont cope with the surge current from a 2kW motor
A 13amp fuse will take 20amp continuously and a momentary surge above even that, time is also a factor. Most fuses have an I^2*t rating curve. The energy dissipated by the fuse is proportional to the square of the current through it. If the fuse gets too hot, it melts.

But, the fuse also has thermal inertia in the sense of thermal heat capacity. An extremely short pulse of higher than rated current won’t get the fuse hot enough to melt. But, a long term current slightly above the rated capacity of the fuse will cause it to melt… but it might take a while… several minutes.

My 3Kw electric kettle runs off a 13amp plug just fine.

2000/230 = 8.7 amps rounded up, any start up surge can be accommodated with a MCB or even an RCBO change, one assumes an induction motor at this price point.

Interesting the Axi blurb says 1.5Kw but the instruction manual says 2200watt on page 24.

A 3Kw kettle is a resistive load where voltage and current will be in phase, with reactive loads such as a motor where you have inductance you get a phase shift between voltage and current which results in the current lagging the voltage which gives less power but the same current demand.

It is also not just the size of the motor that determines startup current but also the inertia within the machine, planer / thicknessers seem to have a lot of inertia and my PT107 will run on a 13 amp plug until you put the clutch in for thicknessing when the fuse just pop's so it is now on a 16 amp type B RCBO and runs ok.

Yes it will, but at an elevated temperature. Most protective devices like fuses and MCB's are designed to protect against short circuits that result in a very large fault current and you get a fast disconnection. The point here is that it is a 13 amp fused plug for a reason and if your load has a potential failure mode where it could pull 20 amps then this would be an overload condition and suitable protection should be part of the design, common loads that can result in overloads are motors.

Look at this graph, typical for protective devices and shows that anything of 20 amps or less will not melt the fuse, at 40 amps it will take no more than 100 seconds but could be as little as 0.3. This is why circuit impedance is so important because it has a direct effect on how much fault current will flow and hence the disconnection time which impacts safety

1665406503382.png

Back