The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PowerTool":xybt8pzz said:
Treating yourself to a day off tomorrow..?
Andrew

Grandparent duties off site, part payment for being taken out for Silver Service Christmas dinner.

Seems fair enough - I spent most of boxing day with my grand-daughter (age 3) - loved every minute of it.Enjoy the day :D

Andrew

Spent the afternoon taking some visitors through the wonders of turning a Bowl.
As the organizer of the visit was one of my woodland sources I started from freshly felled timber though the stages of wood maturing in general and then moved onto the specifics of how I produce a finished item from Green Wood.
This was followed with the small demonstration piece below out of Beech, from marking out, bandsawing the blank, mounting on lathe, turning, finishing etc.
For me a most enjoyable afternoon, before the event non of the visitors knew what a bandsaw or a lathe looked like so it was rapturous attention throughout. Mainly a big ego trip for me, but the warm glow of seeing people caress a selection of finished items with a new understanding of the making made my day.

_________ ___click on image for larger view
_______________Beech (162mm)

Been rather busy churning out 'green' stock and preparing blanks and off cuts for future use, but have made a start on a series of pots of varying diameters just to use up some of the surplus lying around.

_________ ___click on images for larger view
_______Coloured Beech, Mahogany & Ash (75mm dia)

Brought about by certain individual seeing an item being posted and passed some disparaging remarks about not doing something similar with all the other bits.
_________ ___

Very nice work - and a good idea for using the growing accumulation of offcuts :D

Andrew

Still got the bits from the middle to use up, do these offcuts never end :roll:

_________Sycamore-Walnut-Ash (115mm)

_________Meths Cured Green Yew:

_________________(170mm)

CHJ":1kim39kq said:
Brought about by certain individual seeing an item being posted and passed some disparaging remarks about not doing something similar with all the other bits.

Haven't increased your worklist too much have I Chas??? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Scott":232adar3 said:
Haven't increased your worklist too much have I Chas??? :lol: :lol: :wink:

It's not the pots Scott, (although there are enough pieces prepared for about a dozen at the moment) It's the tasks that turn up whilst I'm waiting for the glue to dry, someone is getting good at finding 2hr projects. :twisted: or pointing out that there is enough time for a 2-3 mile wander around our valley. :roll:

_________ Results of a Cosy morning in the Shed..

_________ _________ ___click on images for larger view
_______Spalted Beech, Walnut & Ash (83mm.)__________Exeter Elm (182mm)

Very nice,Chas - I've just been using some Scottish elm,colour and grain is quite different from yours.(Think I prefer the contrast of colours on yours)

Andrew

Hi Andrew, Yes Exeter Elm, Ulmus glabra (Exoniensis) is a much lighter wood and carries far more distinctive colour variations, especially near burs or branchlets.
I have done several large bowls in it and was fortunate enough to get a large slab, that small one was turned from a 'green' piece that was thrown in the boot (freebee) at the wood yard to see if I could make anything of it. I turned it green and dried with meths.

The picture lighting does not do it justice, the walls are much thinner (4mm) than the lip, which is undercut.

_________ Catching up with the chores, hence some output.

_________ _________ ___click on images for larger view
___________Sweet Chestnut (300mm.)_________Beech-Sycamore-Padauk-Cherry (75mm)

__________A few more home cured items finished.

_________ _____ _______click on images for larger view
________________Cherry((95mm)________________Cherry (105mm)
_________ _____
______________Sycamore (177mm)______________Yew (160mm)
_________
______________Yew (160mm)

Hope you didn't make all them today :shock:
What finish is on the footed yew one ? Lovely piece of work (as are they all :D )

Andrew

PowerTool":2a0wly4z said:
Hope you didn't make all them today :shock:
What finish is on the footed yew one ? Lovely piece of work (as are they all :D )

Andrew

The two posted this morning done yesterday.

All others finished turned today Andrew, :lol: from Green turned Blanks done about a month ago. :wink:

They are all finished in cellulose sanding sealer and WoodWax 22.

Chas,

Very nice work indeed. I particularly like the direction that your recent work seems to be taking.

You seem to be incorporating subtle curves into your bowls which gives them an extra added something. A certain "Je ne sais quoi" if you know what I mean?

My favourite is the footed Yew bowl - I may borrow that design if you don't mind, although it may not be for a while, as my scrollsaw is currently taking up all my workshop time! That pesky Gill has a lot to answer for!!!!! :D :D :D

I wonder if 42 is too young to apply for early retirement???

Regards

Gary :D :D :D

Taffy Turner":2y5ayspe said:
Chas,

Very nice work indeed. I particularly like the direction that your recent work seems to be taking.

You seem to be incorporating subtle curves into your bowls which gives them an extra added something. A certain "Je ne sais quoi" if you know what I mean?

My favourite is the footed Yew bowl - I may borrow that design if you don't mind, although it may not be for a while, as my scrollsaw is currently taking up all my workshop time! That pesky Gill has a lot to answer for!!!!! :D :D :D

I wonder if 42 is too young to apply for early retirement???

Regards

Gary :D :D :D

Thanks for the comments Gary, I must admit that the 'shapes' are in the main not consciously planned before hand, although when a piece of wood is selected I do have a visualization as to what shape can be made out of it, I hate wasting wood in shavings so tend to make them as big as possible from any sample.

Do please feel free to copy any shape or idea you like, I make no exclusive claims on any form that has probably been done many times over in past millennia.

The Yew footed bowl is about 5mm wall thickness, the photo' does not really show how much the lip is undercut.

As a matter of interest none of the pieces above have holding witness marks, all reverse turned on Cole Jaws to remove holding spigots or recess.

CHJ":10k8vj1w said:
The Yew footed bowl is about 5mm wall thickness, the photo' does not really show how much the lip is undercut.

Ahhhh - the joys of undercutting a bowl lip in a bit of rock-hard Yew!!!!

This has been the source of several bowls departing the chuck at high speed for destinations elsewhere in my workshop!

My Mrs came in one day about 30 seconds after one such disaster, and wanted to know what the constant stream of profanity was in aid of - my reply of "just help me find the s*****g thing" was not well received!

I cheat now, and use my Munro hollowing tool to undercut the rim - not half as exciting, but much safer!!! :oops:

All the best.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back