The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul, more pictures of how I keep my green wood until I can get round to using it.
DSC01970S.JPG

DSC01971S.JPG

DSC01972S.JPG

DSC01973S.JPG

DSC01974S.JPG

Thanks again Chas.
Those pictures help. :D
I did manage to coat the ends with pva,and will split the logs asap,but not today. :oops: Which is the best and easiest way to split them.I do have a chainsaw :D
The first picture i've put on shows some of the logs cut,i have about the same amount round the other side.
Is it worth keeping the offcuts as in the second picture where the branch is breaking off.Seems a shame to waste as i have a few of these.
Any idea what the wood is.I thought it might be Ash :!:
Paul.J.

Forgot to say.Just took those piccys and noticed that the Holly i have as now gone a milkier colour.Just thought :oops: - this could be the pva :roll:
Paul.J.

Paul Johnston":1kelus1q said:
Which is the best and easiest way to split them.I do have a chainsaw :D

No easy way to decide really, chainsaws don't usually like cutting with the grain, Splitting with an Axe/Wedges works but can lead to wasted wood if split does not run true.

Bandsaw is best, but if not available obviously not an option, law is if bandsaw is available its depth of cut is 10mm less than the log diameter :evil:
Is it worth keeping the offcuts as in the second picture where the branch is breaking off.

Keep all pieces, the bits near branch joins etc can yield some nice figuring. Good for lids coasters etc. if nothing else.

Any idea what the wood is.I thought it might be Ash :!:
Paul.J.

Looks as though it might well be judging by the bark.

See if a log splits straight with an axe and clean up the face, may be more obvious then.

Be aware that with some woods the central core and the wood either side of centre is the most prone to splitting, with large diameter logs it is sometimes more economical in salvaged wood to take a central slab out of the middle, say 50-75mm thick, leaving two cords each side for bowls, then cut the central slab down the middle through the core leaving you with 4 pieces, these will be less likely to split whilst drying.

_________The other two bits of Holly

_________ _________ ___click on images for larger view
_________________(95mm)_____________________________(121mm)

Thanks Chas.
You have another 3 nice bowls there,with nice finish.That grain looks a bit wild to turn.Is this typical of Holly. :?:
I still have the root ball off my log,again is it worth keeping. :?:
I can't wait to try my Holly now :)
Also Chas,been looking back at some of the old posts,and can't believe that you have only recently started turning yourself,asking similar questions.I thought you had been doing it for years.
Just shows what can be achieved.Are you all self taught or have you had some professional tuition.
Paul.J.

Paul, I don't know if this is typical of Holly, it is the only piece I have ever turned. It was easy to turn with no problems whatsoever from the random grain. Very smooth, dense but not hard.

I am self taught, just read a book and watched what others were doing at shows.

I would certainly investigate the root ball if you have significant fist size or above pieces.

Dickymint had some to work with last spring

Chas.
That's one nice piece by Dickymint.I wouldn't know where to start.
The rootball looks a decent size but haven't really looked at it properly,still got roots and soil attached.Just afraid of spoiling a piece that could turn out nice. :?

You've had some very nice pieces of holly - were they just air-dried,or have you treated them to some meths or water to speed the process up ?
I find that holly cuts and finishes very nicely,just awkward to dry.

Andrew

PowerTool":1ba367km said:
You've had some very nice pieces of holly - were they just air-dried,or have you treated them to some meths or water to speed the process up ?
I find that holly cuts and finishes very nicely,just awkward to dry.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, it was just one scrappy piece of roughly squared log with bark on one of the six sides, covered in wax. Don't know how old it was but it gave a reading of about 20% when I was given it twelve months ago. Been stored indoors since and was down to 14-16% when sawn into three pieces yesterday. Had intended to rough turn and dry out but during turning the moisture content dropped to below 12% at the rough stage, so have pressed ahead and finished them off, a check just before applying sealer indicated below 10% and not just on surface, strange, but time will tell as to whether they move.

On all three items I polished finished the outside and generated warmth throughout the piece from friction whilst waxing, then after cooling sealed and finished the inside.

_________From this in in May 2006

_________

_________Comes todays effort.

_________ ___click on images for larger view
_____________Cherry (275mm)

Nice piece of Cherry Chas. :)Looks a sturdy item.
Did the knots cause any problems.
What finish did you apply.How long did it take.
I found some Ash today that i had about four years ago.Might try and do something like this with that. :roll:
Paul.J

Paul.J":2y2aw4il said:
...snip...
Did the knots cause any problems.
What finish did you apply.How long did it take.

The knots were not a problem other than having to be careful that they did not cause a catch on the inside. Something this sort of diameter needs good close rest support for the internal tools if a snatch is to be avoided.

Finish is cellulose sealer and WoodWax22.

It took about 1 1/2 days to do in two stages.

About 6 months ago I rough turned it Like this NOTE: This is not the Cherry but it looked about the same.
The outer face was wrapped in thin cling film, the inner filled with moist shavings and placed in a large open topped bag to try and slow down the moisture loss to reduce cracking.

It was down to 12% when checked today, during its time drying, a crack appeared in the base (endgrain) about the centre 1/3. this opened up quite wide but has since closed up, I treated it with CA glue before finish turning.

Time will tell if indoor life causes any more movement.

Chas.
More questions :roll:
What sort of moisture levels are you looking at for turning,as all the timber is kept outside,left for a priod of time to dry-turned and then brought into a drier enviroment.
So far the few pieces i have turned have all had some movement on them since bringing them into the house. :(

How did the Perform,perform with a big heavy lump of wood like the one in your photo :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":3nf37o5a said:
What sort of moisture levels are you looking at for turning,as all the timber is kept outside,left for a priod of time to dry-turned and then brought into a drier enviroment.
So far the few pieces i have turned have all had some movement on them since bringing them into the house.

All other of my green pieces are rough turned and dried indoors (boiled or meths), they are at 10% or less in about a month. (some with less than 8% on my cheap meter) This low is getting a bit hard to turn on some woods so prefer to turn at about 10%, post turning movement is minimal.

Paul.J":3nf37o5a said:
How did the Perform,perform with a big heavy lump of wood like the one in your photo :?:
Paul.J.
I had to balance it fairly well by removing surplus protrusions with a power plane, the smaller motor on the perform does not have a surplus of torque (it's a cheap condenser run as opposed to condenser start motor) turning was slow so as not to stall it. Not a bad thing as newbie though.

The Cherry was roughed on the perform.

__________Yet another Cake Stand

_________ ___click on image for larger view
___________Sweet Chestnut (226mm)

And for the benefit of newbies here I put This Threadtogether whilst doing it in the hope that it will help

Very nice again Chas.
I like the difference in grain pattern :)

I'm glad your retired so you have the time to do and show us these excellent pieces :D
Keep em coming.
Paul.J.

_______Some more Churnings:

_______ ____ ____
___________Sycamore (160mm)_______________Sycamore (140mm)_______________Laburnum (90mm)
_______ ____ ___click on images for larger view
______________Cherry (82mm)_________________Yew (100mm)

All nice again Chas.
Nice variation of shapes and timbers.I like the Yew piece. :)
Did you turn all these today or during the week. :?:
Are most of the pieces you put on Chas using the meths and boiling drying process,or have you now got a good supply of air dried stock. :?:
Paul.J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back