The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
_________"Can you do one to put (friends) Birthday Cake on please" _________ No problem dear. :roll:

_________ ___click on image for larger view
___________Sweet Chestnut (265mm

Chas,I give up - been on holiday all week,spent a fair bit of time in the workshop,and still can't keep up with you... :lol:

Very nice,how many pieces is it in ?

Andrew

You guys are unbelievable. Producing these works of art at a great rate of knots.

Makes me want a lathe. (Hmmmm better get a workshop sorted first) :?

In fact could anyone post me a dried blank? I'm in the middle of the north sea at present (working) but we've got a lathe and my mate is a **** hot machinist that could probably fashion me some tools on the milling machine. :lol: :lol:

PowerTool":espf4751 said:
Chas,I give up - been on holiday all week,spent a fair bit of time in the workshop,and still can't keep up with you... :lol:

Yeh, looks like I need to get a life doesn't it, :lol: but honest we do get around and do other things, most of this afternoon was taken up with the rugby though so did not get much else done.

What is not obvious when I post a picture is that most pieces are staged.

For instance I spent a whole day this week cutting up beech logs that had been brought down from Dumfries for me (storm victim) and bandsawing them into round blanks, waxing etc.

Most of another day was spent turning green blanks of sycamore and Yew and boiling/meths drying for use in a months time.

Todays cake stand was bandsaw from a slab today though, whilst turning the top, the pressure cooker was completing the boiling of leftover green blanks.
The base bottom and holding recess was turned and finished before the rugby started, it was reversed, spigot turned and finished between matches, glued up during second match half time. :lol:

When I work on Dried Rough Blanks I stage turn them as a batch i.e. turn all the spigots or recesses before starting to hollow them, that way any change of jaws accommodates several pieces.

If nothing else is needed on the lathe I remount a part turned pot and fit another ring to dry whilst I'm not in the shop or overnight, a few minutes cleanup of the new ring sees it finished or put to one side until a spare time slot is available next time I'm in the shed.

PowerTool":espf4751 said:
Very nice,how many pieces is it in ?
Andrew

It is in two pieces, the join is immediately above the Bead.

Planning - it's all down to planning :-k
And having (or creating) time to fit it all in; sounds like you've got quite a production line going.

CHJ":1asqeysh said:
Todays cake stand was bandsaw from a slab today though, whilst turning the top, the pressure cooker was completing the boiling of leftover green blanks.
The base bottom and holding recess was turned and finished before the rugby started, it was reversed, spigot turned and finished between matches, glued up during second match half time.

And women reckon that men can't multi-task... :lol:

Andrew

P.S. - long may your workrate continue,I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it a source of inspiration.

_________ Finished these either side of a 3 mile walk in the valley with LOML and her lunch preparations.

_________ Anything else other than a tidy up will have to wait until after the Rugby.

_________ _________ ___click on images for larger view
_______________Yew (140mm)________________________Yew (145mm)

:lol: :lol:

Spring is Sprung, hot enough in the shed to have the windows wide open, large flock of linnets having choir practice in the nearest Silver Birch tree, a local cat snoozing in the sun in front of the greenhouse and can't be bothered to shift from the noise of the dust extractor, can't help it. (hammer)

_________One of thoses days in the shed, lots of shavings, lots of frustration at rogue bits of wood and nothing much to show for all the effort.
_________Serves me right I suppose for trying to use every bit of wood that looks promising.

_________ _________ ___click on images for larger view
_______________Hazel (100mm)_____________________Laburnum (88mm)

Both look nice,Chas - easy to tell the sapwood from the heartwood as well :wink:
At least you're in the workshop; by the time I get in from work,the frost has already set in,and although the heating is keeping it above 5c,I still don't feel like going out :(
Still,got another week off due in about a month - should be a bit warmer by then :D

Andrew

I'm fortunate Andrew, the shed is 60% glass on three sides and faces south so even this time of year it is warm enough to work in during the day.
DSC_0113.jpg

Chas.
Yet again some lovely turnings,and finish.I can't keep track of you. :?
Like the Laburnum,and Yew.
I have't really looked at finishes yet,still trying to master the tools.No doubt i will be looking here for advice.
Managed to cut up the Holly i had give me.Have you got any pics of Holly turnings.
I bet the workshop gets hot in the summer :?:
Paul.J.

Paul Johnston":rjtmaqgc said:
...snip...Have you got any pics of Holly turnings..
Actually I haven't, got a green piece somewhere must look it out and have a go.

Paul Johnston":rjtmaqgc said:
...I bet the workshop gets hot in the summer :?:
Paul.J.

Strange thing is if windows are opened, as in the pic it's not to bad. As you can see inside is in shadow because of sun height mid summer. Just have to remember not to leave metal tools on windowsill.

Scott":p6d87a0b said:
Nice garden Chas! :wink: :D

Yes, looks pristine at the moment, has that whiter than white look about it.

Must remember to take time out soon to start this years seeds off so that LOML can keep harvesting whilst I'm playing. :wink: :lol:

Paul Johnston":2wrbw2sa said:
Have you got any pics of Holly turnings.
Paul.J.

__________First of three pieces of Holly salvaged from a Green but waxed log I was presented with about 12 months ago.

_________ ___click on image for larger view
_________________(143mm)

Nice piece,Chas - must have been a decent sized bit of holly to start with.I have some thats been drying for about 18 months,but it's much whiter than yours,and lacking the interesting grain you seem to have.

Andrew

Yes Andrew, the colour caught me out also, it was a log given to me by John Bradford (Devon), not a very inspiring piece but he said see what you can do with it, it looked very pale on the waxed faces and was splitting on one face.
I had put it to the back of the pile (indoors) and forgotten about it, when I dug it out and put the bandsaw through it to make the most of the bark inclusions etc. I was surprised to see the colours.

Turns like a dream, very dense structure, little or no end grain problems.

Biggest section I could get out of it was approx. 150mm dia.

Hello Chas.
Thanks for doing this piece.Looks interesting.Look forward to the other pieces.
I too am surprised at the colour as i was also expecting it to be the ivory colour that Graham explained.
On saying that the Holly pieces i cut up last week were a pale brown colour and was fairly dry.Is this because of ageing.
I phoned my brother back up,who i had the trunk off to check how long it had been cut down and tells this time that it's been about 4 years. :roll: So i think i will try a piece this week some time :)

Also Chas friend of mine pulled up this morning with a load of logs from a freshly felled tree, :D not sure what it was,which i have been cutting up all day (well and truely cream crackered) :( I have had to cut them up quickly to get the car back in garage/workshop,is it best to keep them in log form or splt them.
Sorry about all the questions :?
Paul.J.

Hi Paul, have a look at the first picture in this thread to give you an idea as to how I store the wood initially.

Whatever you do it is most important that you seal the end grain ASAP after cutting.
I use old candle wax melted in a tin tray but any old gloss paint or even PVA adhesive will do.

If you can't seal immediately put the wood in a dustbin bag to maintain them in a moist atmosphere until you can.

This is to slow down any moisture loss from the end grain to reduce and hopefully prevent splitting.

If the logs are not big enough to cut into slabs at least split them down the middle.

Do not seal the split face.

I will try and get some more detailed pictures tomorrow, also follow the thread through (page 2) to see how they are rough turned and dried for finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back