The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NeilO":9n2c4ral said:
nice one Chas....

is the lid made out of wood??, and if so what species

Lid is Sycamore, stained and finished.

NeilO":9n2c4ral said:
should I be using the tool, centre line , below , or above of the work because I have noticed you DO get a different effect using the 3 positions :?:

Depends which tool you are referring to.

If it is a spindle or bowl gouge gouge then you should be working above or at the very least on the centre line, with the bevel rubbing and no cutting despite how hard you push. Then without ANY 'pushing pressure' lift the rear of the handle until the tip of the gouge starts to cut, the gouge should be facing the way of travel along the piece and the wings orientated somewhere in the 'twenty to' & 'ten past' the hour for right to left cuts.

If you are using a scraper then on the outside of a cylinder you should be below the centre line to avoid catches ( inside a bowl, above the centre line)

Have a read of this book, chapters 6 & 7 in particular

_________Still damp this afternoon, so in the in the shed again.

___________ ___ click on image for larger view
__________Silver Birch & Ovangkol (125mm)

Note Colour of Silver Birch and compare the difference with the two above.

This one was dried using Meths' and has a definite orange tint to it with pale blotches in places which I think are where the water content was higher.

The previous ones were boiled and air dried, much paler and an overall consistent colour, same shade as the pale blotches in the meths dried version.

_________Sometimes you wonder if "Yes Please" was the wrong answer.

_________ ___ ___click on images for larger view

_________A bit of Aylesbury Cherry that has retired to the Cotswolds.

Nice haul,Chas - must be well worth the effort.
"Yes please" can never be the wrong answer if someone is offering you timber,can it?
After all,that's how I acquired some holly,cherry and plum,and have some apple to pick up :D

Andrew

next time you get an offer of Aylesbury Cherry, the correct answer should be "No Thankyou , but I know this Chap....." :D :D
who happens to live in said location...
actually missed out on quite a few logs the other day, was driving passed and these chaps where "pruning" several trees, on a local road... but by the time i finished work they had packed up and gone, taking the logs with them :cry:

You need to advertise your wants amongst friends a bit harder Neil and leave a little more time for your journeys, you never know when an essential stop for "Stock Replenishment" is going to come up :lol: .

_________These three are from locally cured wood that has been dried since 4th Oct.

_________ ___ ___ ___click on images for larger view

_____________Sycamore (200mm)_____________Sycamore (227mm)_____________Sycamore (175mm)

Very nice as always - particularly like the shape of the last one :D

These three are from locally cured wood that has been dried since 4th Oct.

What method did you use to dry them in such a short time ? (microwave,meths,or have you found another good short-cut ?)

Andrew

PowerTool":34vmuj0e said:
What method did you use to dry them in such a short time ? (microwave,meths,or have you found another good short-cut ?)
Andrew

They were dried using Meths soak Andrew, and they are for someone who likes the colour figuring of the wood that is retained or even added to by this method of drying. (nut brown figuring does not show up well in washed out pics)
Boiling evens out the colour differences in these light woods reducing the "Water Marks" that I think result from the differing concentrations of water in the wood when soaked in Meths, I do not know if soaking for longer would have similar effect.

Chas, got my feelers out so to speak.... :D
enlighten me please:
Meths soak?????? do I take it you just drop the wood in a bath (largeish container, not THE bath, SWMBO would have a fit) ???
how long do you soak it for???

NeilO":3olbdm3f said:
Chas, got my feelers out so to speak.... :D
enlighten me please:
Meths soak?????? do I take it you just drop the wood in a bath (largeish container, not THE bath, SWMBO would have a fit) ???
how long do you soak it for???

This is the original article by Dave Smith on Wood Central.

For rough turned 'green' wood articles up to 20mm thick I leave soaking for a couple of hours.

Then wrap exterior in stiff brown paper or several layers of newspaper.
DSC01734.JPG

Then find somewhere to stow them for two to three weeks, I start checking moisture and weight after about 18 days when they are usually below 12% and if they show no loss during the next 3-4 days I take wrapping off.
DSC01732.JPG

DSC01733.JPG

thanks for the quick reply Chas...
also, i bought a chuck for that merlin lathe i had given.....a Supernova2.
it did come down to a choice of two, SN2 or Versachuck but the versachuck didnt have the thread configuration available, and was in Isaac Lords during the week , and the SN2 caught my eye, explained to the chap serving about thread, and he said if it was wrong i could take the insert back and change it.

_________A couple more for a bit of relaxation:
_________ ___ ___click on images for larger view :lol:
__________________Walnut______________________Walnut

Chas,

Have you been near Oldsoke? :roll:

Nice work, I would need stonger glasses. :shock:

Shouldn't that say click on the images for a smaller view? :whistle:

DaveL":1khz3sgc said:
Have you been near Oldsoke? :roll:

_________Not recently, but you know what they say... Once seen...... :lol:

_________Well you might know someone had to ask "Where do I put these"

_________ _____ click on image for larger view

___________"On the Table of Course" :roll:

________I think Graham will have to do the fruit :lol:

Philly":3vmtv7jo said:
Bravo, Chas!
Pretty tiny-what tools did you use?
Philly :D

Apart from a 6mm bowl gouge, just the normal sized ones for the basic shaping, and a couple of small home-ground HSS Metal Lathe bits for the undercutting and parting off. The bits have been lying in my tool collection since I was 17, new they would come in useful again some day. :wink:

I think Graham will have to do the fruit

no chance ... you can do it yourself :wink:

As you know I'm at an age where little amazes me... but you do .... consistently, such small pieces, such great satisfaction...

Small world init? :lol:

(just going back to see if I can learn something...)

oldsoke":lbeion6v said:
no chance ... you can do it yourself :wink:
I doubt they would be in wood, the only stuff I have with fine enough grain is Damson, and it's so hard I can't work that properly at full size :shock:
oldsoke":lbeion6v said:
Small world init? :lol:
Just doing it to save Xmas postage costs :lol:

Thanks for the comments Graham, you told me it was just practice, so I decided to practice a bit more. It's the 4mm diameter sanding discs that are giving me most trouble, can't get fine enough velcro. :lol:

...the only stuff I have with fine enough grain is Damson...

A pack of lace bobbin/pen blanks from e.g. Craft supplies will give you a few to go at at reasonable cost...

Put the word out amongst woodturning friends... don't throw away any small fine grain bits...

The crushed velvet etc pen blanks are very good for making semi translucent bowls and vases.

oldsoke":s1f6psjd said:
A pack of lace bobbin/pen blanks from e.g. Craft supplies will give you a few to go at at reasonable cost...
Put the word out amongst woodturning friends... don't throw away any small fine grain bits...
The crushed velvet etc pen blanks are very good for making semi translucent bowls and vases.

You are just evil Graham, get thee behind me S***n, there's 10 years worth of offcuts and a couple of years worth of timber already cluttering up the place, :oops: I dare not stray any further into the world of miniatures.

[whisper mode]Thanks for the tip on material source, you never know when some might fall into the must have basket.[/whisper mode off]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back