That's not a tenon saw ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Kierstead

Established Member
Reaction score
pk_0006a.jpg

is a Tenon Saw.

Just got it a couple of days from the esteemed Mike, it is yet another copy (bored of making em yet, Mike? :)) of the Seaton Saw, with a Walnut handle.

Beginning Notes:
- Ok, this thing is big. You wouldn't believe how big. I underestimated its bigness. It is qualifies for "that is one big ****** ******** tenon saw".
- It is heavy. That big hunk o'brass is heavy. If you have been beating up your wrists a lot in Akido, it likes to have another hand to help pick it up. Otherwise you mightn't mind.
- The medallion is right pretty. Now my other Wenzloff feels left out.

Workmanship:
- Absolutely top notch. Not much to say there. The handle is especially well selected and beautiful, being beautifully shaped in beautiful wood.

Usage:
- Like any very sharp rip saw, it is a little hard to get going, but not as hard as I expected; my finer toothed and lighter LN Dovetail saw is a little harder to start I think. But you quickly get over this. One nice thing is that when you do start it badly , it still tends to "hop straight" not to one side, if you know what I mean. Well, that sounds wierd.
- It cuts *extremely* agressively, yet quite cleanly. I couldn't believe how fast I could cut a tenon in cherry. A few strokes each way (I did the saw down from each side, saw the middle) and it was done.
- Tracking is perfect, and with that very very high saw it is much much easier then a lower one to keep straight-up. It is very obvious when you are tilted.
- The weight seems oppresssive at first, but quickly is shown to be wonderful. You just let it zoom down, no temptation to force the saw. The weight ands size definitely work for you, not against you.
- The handle hang is excellent for working at a normal bench height with the work in a vise. The saw "comes to hand" vey nicely for this.

I am even more impressed then I expected to be. This is a wonderful saw and I look forward to sawing many a tenon (and probably lots of other things) with it.

Mikes saws are a complete 'steal'; these are fantastic tools for the price.

PS: Mike, I expect the next one to have the medallion *and* the etch. I just need to discover what saw I need. The more you have, the more you seem to need....

Now, tell me honestly, do you really like the saw? :lol:

You'll have to bring it to our next association meeting for us paupers to try...

How well does it work with creosote treated lumber? :whistle: I'll try to remove all the nails in advance :mrgreen:

DC

Nice work, Mike =D>

Hi Paul,

Nice to meet your Tenon Saw Paul. I fully understand you drooling :mrgreen: but please do not leave us here in the picket fences and give us some information [-X We'd appreciate to know the length, tpi, width...

God... she is a beauty =D> =D> =D>

Marc =P~ too

gawd and i thought mike's saws were only looking ones, not using ones :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

now we all have to learn to make our wrist muscles work, is this the
new anti rsi cure????? :roll: :lol:

paul :wink:

Wow,
What a saw! That's a beauty all right. Congrats to both you and Mike.
I'll guess the length; it looks like a "real" tenon saw, so 18". 11 PPI.

Beautiful saw =D> That handle is definitely extraordinary. I bet the length would be useful for cutting wide dadoes if it were crosscut.

That looks like a lovely saw, Paul. Thanks for sharing your impressions of it - you sound quite pleased :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

NO I dont like it :^o :^o , no dont like it at all :roll: :mrgreen:
( just trying to think of a way to get one pass :-$ you know who :lol: )

MarcW":3r18ybrm said:
Hi Paul,
Nice to meet your Tenon Saw Paul. I fully understand you drooling :mrgreen: but please do not leave us here in the picket fences and give us some information [-X We'd appreciate to know the length, tpi, width...

The saw is 19" long (not including handle) and 6" high, with just under 5" cutting depth. It is 9 ppi. Mike says he puts in a little fleam to make it easier to start (which is probably why it seems easier to start then my dovetail saw).

if you buy the latest issue of Good Woodworking, there is the second of
articles about sharpening saws, it also has a diagram with various details
of the terms used.

Hi Everyone--glad you like it, even if it is at a distance. Though perhaps Denis will get the opportunity to use it. Chris Schwarz also had pretty much the same reaction to the size once in hand. Paul's is a touch heavier due to using an honest 1/4" thick brass back. But it's even better.

Adding a touch of fleam angle to the face of the teeth allows a little easier starting of the saw, but also allows less rake which increases speed of cut.

The Kenyon/Seaton sash saw has a little thinner saw plate [the large tenon we make from .028"] at .025". A few more teeth per inch. It too cuts extremely quick.

That piece of Walnut I have been reserving since Paul mentioned another saw. It's been tempting to use it, though :lol:

Still have one or two pieces, too :wink:

Take care. Mike

off to our Thanksgiving Day festivities...

well after making a saw like that, i hope that you feed the bears and chickens properly :lol: :lol: :lol:

best wishes to you and your family for giving us all so much pleasure.

Thanks Paul--no chickens and bears were harmed in the making of this saw.

I did bust my thumb the other day prepping to test cut another saw, though. And no. No chickens or bears were involved. No beer either. :lol:

Take care, Mike

Latest posts

Back