Tenon Saw Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of tenon saws that I need to take the handles off--to clean up and de-rust the blade and clean the handle. Each handle is held onto the blade with 3 male and female screws The problem is the screw will turn (with great difficulty after applying WD40). See attachment. The 3rd screw will turn but not separate the two halves of the screw so unable to separate the handle from the blade. How would you manage to get the screws apart? If all else fails perhaps drill the screw out? Not shown in the attachment is the second saw that is very rusty--the 3 screws turn but do not come apart. Your knowledge welcome.

Attachments

• Tenon Saw.JPG
    Tenon Saw.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Sounds like the threads might be stripped? I'd try to get an old chisel with the chisel back to the wood and wedge it up if that makes sense? then you might get a pliers on it to pull it off. The 2 you have one half off in the pic will need to be tapped out with a punch or nail or something, apologies if I'm stating the obvious there.

I'd try to get an old chisel with the chisel back to the wood and wedge it up if that makes sense?

What he says. Applying outwards/upwards pressure to the screw as you turn it will help it separate.

You can grind a groove in the end of one of these:

https://www.toolstation.com/prep-euro-filling-knife-set/p98277

and push it under the screw head first. That would protect the wood.

If the gap is too narrow for a chisel, start with a Stanley knife blade.

Some saw bolts aren't separable.
They were sometimes just a press together even though they had screwdriver slots.
Cheers, Andy

I have a couple of tenon saws that I need to take the handles off--to clean up and de-rust the blade and clean the handle. Each handle is held onto the blade with 3 male and female screws The problem is the screw will turn (with great difficulty after applying WD40). See attachment. The 3rd screw will turn but not separate the two halves of the screw so unable to separate the handle from the blade. How would you manage to get the screws apart? If all else fails perhaps drill the screw out? Not shown in the attachment is the second saw that is very rusty--the 3 screws turn but do not come apart. Your knowledge welcome.
If you can't free it and decide to drill out, Thomas Flinn sell the various types of replacement screws, but expensive with postage costs. I wonder if you could very carefully drill a 1.5mm bore to get penetrating oil into the right spot.

One technique is to take a wood screw clamp and drill a hole on one side, clamp it on the saw handle so that the screw is visible through the hole, an d the other side is held firmly (may need a small shim or two if it's recessed,

Then proceed gently to attempt to loosen with a well fitting screwdriver .

Sometime the brass is seemingly brittle, and just breaks off, hence the admonition to be gentle

Eric in the collonies

I filed sharp the prong on a old pincer and was able to wedge the thin end under and pry it off. The shaft had broken. A packet of new ones from Thomas flynn as mentioned, bought two dozen cos why not, and have plenty left!
DItto for the second saw.

Latest posts

Back