Tell me how to build the easiest workbench possible

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to debate the merits of one bench over another, of aprons, tails vices or any other add on.

I put this together earlier in the year based on the "Chapman" bench.

DSCN7220.jpg

A M&T Frame at each end, chipboard back to stop racking, chipboard lower shelf also aids stability, frames also have panels screwed to them to add rigidity.
Top 1" chipboard, and 3 18mm MDF lipped with beech.
NB No fixed vices

Dog holes in the top for surface planing. Edge planing curtesy of a couple of wotsits (sorry Bugbear I've forgotten what you called them)

DSCN7488.jpg

DSCN7484.jpg

surface planing
DSCN7385.jpg

I can clamp a "lathe" to it

DSCN7470.jpg

A Gripmaster also comes in handy

DSCN7223.jpg

Metal work vice

DSCN7640.jpg

Simple and cheap to make, versatile in use.

Cheers

Andy

Interesting "lathe". It would probably do most of the jobs that a non turner might want to do, eg making tool handles etc.

marcros":8ica0wxb said:
Jacob":8ica0wxb said:
Agree.
But Landis does omit the apron style bench which we all know so well and, to get back to the OP, is the probably the best answer to his question.
There is a big fashion element with benches, as with so much other woodwork kit, which can be misleading.

Its not about the bench? :D
Absolutely!
Landis has a big omission IMHO. The chapter 6 "A Basic Bench" is a peculiar thing and not basic at all. The British bench as per Seller's example above (somewhere) would have been perfect for this slot. It just doesn't look very sexy, unlike the Shaker bench on the cover!

Here's my bench - built by me 37 years ago from a book called "The Complete Home Carpenter" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Home...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327053952&sr=1-1). It's moved house with me several times, living everywhere from a damp cellar to a purpose-built hobby-shop. About the only changes I've made to the original design are the addition of bench-stops and holes for a Wonder-Pup, sockets for a holdfast in the top and on the right front leg, and a hollow base to contain 50 Kgs of sand and ballast for stability. The top layer of chipboard has been replaced twice so far, and is about due to be replaced again. I'm certainly no master-craftsman, but it's served my needs well for nearly 4 decades, being used for everything from building large A-frames for obscure horsey contraptions to tiny dolls-house type things to keep my mother-in-law sweet. It has an apron on the front, but the ends are clear and overhanging, so workpieces can be held down with g-cramps if required.

Attachments

• woodbench.jpg
    woodbench.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,126
dedee":18nlra4u said:
I'm not going to debate the merits of one bench over another, of aprons, tails vices or any other add on.

I put this together earlier in the year based on the "Chapman" bench.

DSCN7220.jpg

Here's a couple more workholding ideas for a simple bench:

http://web.archive.org/web/200901140249 ... rtice_hold

As shown, it's being use for mortising, but it works really well for edge jointing, holding the end of a workpiece that is fully support vertically by the bench top.

A Stanley #702 can serve in a similar fashion, and is readily available s/h.

s702.jpg

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php? ... =1#message

Here's an old Stanley advert (excerpt)

s700usage.jpg

BugBear

Back