Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knackered.

Oh, you want more than that, do you? :)

Well we started on the gables today. Because the gable trusses are thinner than the wall on which they sit, we have to make up some supporting timbers to carry the plasterboard up to the ceiling. So we cobbled together some bits of 4x2 and 2x1 to do that:

P1030065.JPG

Then we cut bits of insulation to fit and used PU foam to fill the remaining nooks and crannies. It's a real jigsaw, but it means that the whole area is well-insulated.

P1030066.JPG

Fitting the plasterboard was not as harrowing as we had anticipated. We thought we would struggle with just the two of us but the grey board is less dense than the pink stuff we had been using on the ceiling, and we had to trim about 17cm off the width as well as the corner. I'm not saying it was light, but we did manage. So we tacked a batten to the wall again, loaded up the board onto our frame and lifter and hoisted it up. Once we had it on the batten and locked in position we tilted it up and screwed it in place.

P1030067.JPG

P1030068.JPG

Aren't you impressed that I managed to set the camera and get up the ladder before it clicked? You should be, I could not have done that 6 months ago. My knee is a lot better, although the autumnal weather hasn't done it any favours. But I'm a lot more mobile than I was. :)

Then we did the same at the other end and filled in the piece in between. It suddenly looks higher.

P1030069.JPG

Sorry about the wonky angle, I obviously wasn't paying attention.

The only duff event of the day was that one of my site lights has burnt out. I heard it fizzing - which is never a good thing, is it? - and within a few minutes it was dimming and smoking and finally it went out. TBH, I'm surprised it worked at all, as it was one of the few things that survived the storage at the farm. I think I'm going to have to spend some more money at Screwfix tomorrow.

I'm not sure when we do some more.

Attachments

• P1030065.JPG
    P1030065.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,060
  • P1030066.JPG
    P1030066.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,060
  • P1030067.JPG
    P1030067.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,060
  • P1030068.JPG
    P1030068.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,060
  • P1030069.JPG
    P1030069.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,060
I've done a bit more today. I've fitted insulation to the top of the remaining gable wall (the right one, as viewed from the front) so when Ray comes again we can crack on with this last bit of plasterboarding.

P1030070.JPG

I've also installed a load more screws. Some of the PBs were installed with just a few screws to get them in place, but we have to secure them at 150mm centres around the edges and 200mm centres across the board.

And the I found something slightly worrying.

I have to do a drainage test. Dig a hole 300mm cube in the garden, fill it full of water and time how long it takes to drain away. The idea is to calculate how big a soakaway I need dig out. So I put in my spade and... at one spade depth I hit something hard. I don't yet know what it is. It looks flat, so I don't think it is a pipe. It might be concrete, but I've no idea yet how far it extends. It's in the middle of the area in front of the workshop, towards the log cabin. If it is some huge slab that has simply been covered over with soil then I think I have a problem.

Attachments

• P1030070.JPG
    P1030070.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 956
If it is a mine shaft, it'll probably take all the run off you get and then some. I hope it's just a small paving stone, though.

Good day, not so good day.

The day started by me waking at 4am and not getting back to sleep, so I already felt lousy when Ray turned up. Then later, on a trip to Screwfix for some more screws I went through a speed camera. I don't think I was speeding, but it is a 30 area and downhill. It's very easy to do it without realising it. Fingers crossed. I'm usually very careful and I like to think I always know how fast I am driving. It would be just my luck to get caught the one time I don't pay so much attention. We'll see.

Indeed, not having much luck at all with cars at the mo, I had a visit from my neighbour yesterday asking had I seen my car. Someone had smashed eggs all over the windscreen and front wing. Why do they do that?

Anyway, the rest of the day has been good. The gable finished boarded and the back wall too.
P1030071.JPG

We've even made a start on the front. This is a bit more fiddly as we have to work around the openings. TBH I've not quite worked out the details of how I am going to finish trim all the openings, so in the absence of a better idea I'm fitting all the PB flush with the apertures. Some bits have to be notched to fit and so, to prove I do have some hand skills:

P1030072.JPG

P1030074.JPG

We have one sheet of PB left and a few offcuts that are useable and it should be just enough to finish the job, with very little waste. Very satisfying.

More on Thursday, ABW.

Attachments

• P1030071.JPG
    P1030071.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 839
  • P1030072.JPG
    P1030072.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 839
  • P1030074.JPG
    P1030074.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 839
Just looking at the piccy of you sawing the sheet, that's a solid looking bench!

It's going to be a lovely space to work in.

Yes, I do hope so. I have bought a few too many sheets of OSB...

OTOH, IIUIC, we have, between us, made history. I believe that this thread is now the most visited in the history of UKW. Thank you all for making it so.

Steve Maskery":2ynqacy5 said:
IIUIC, we have, between us, made history. I believe that this thread is now the most visited in the history of UKW. Thank you all for making it so.

I think there's still a lot of life in it too. Gonna set a high bar.

Steve Maskery":1sezk6ej said:
OTOH, IIUIC, we have, between us, made history. I believe that this thread is now the most visited in the history of UKW. Thank you all for making it so.

An expensive way of achieving that distinction, building a huge shed :)

I'm looking forward to reading of the remaining build, hopefully the fitting out too. All power to your elbow Steve.

xy

Hi Steve,

Steve Maskery":19hd8gi0 said:

I didn't tell you about my Tool Store thread, did I? That is sitting at 58,727 at the moment. But, at the speed you're amassing hits, you'll surpass that one too. :lol:

See you on Saturday,
Neil

You've done a grand job Steve. A big enterprise like that has a wearing effect on you and sometimes you've just had enough. You have kept plugging away and there is very clear light at the end of the tunnel now. I don't know what you have in mind, but Rob Cosman does a very good job of making weekly subscribeable videos. I don't know how much money he makes from it, but you have the know how, and now the studio to compete from this side pf the pond.

Steve Maskery":220tj7av said:
I had noticed that the road was closed off, I didn't realise that was why.
I live in a dump :(
S

It seems to be everywhere these days Steve, though I did wonder if you felt more relaxed last night & got a better nights sleep than usual :wink:

How many plants will Steve get in to his "workshop" :wink:

Pete

Latest posts

Back