Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today Ray finished taping and filling the ceiling joints. We had to get the scaffolding to the front half of the room, which wasn't easy as some dork had left a pile of panels in the way.

P1030094.JPG

P1030097.JPG

Whilst Ray was doing that, I was sorting out the area above the door. We'd already made the panel, when Akram was here, but to fit it I wanted to fill the area with insulation. The lintel already has 50mm of insulation in it, and there was room for another 60mm. So it was jigsaw puzzle time again. I stole some from the void in the TL corner and then filled that with 100mm stuff that was left over from doing the rest of the walls.

P1030093.JPG

P1030095.JPG

P1030096.JPG

I've colour-coded all the cables so that I know which cable powers what.

One mildly amusing thing that happened today was Ray going to Travis Perkins to ask about Joint Finish. Joint Finish is a product that you can put on the PB to make it smooth and all white and a good base for painting. It has the advantage that it is non-cementitious, so it just dries rather than sets. You can wet it and rework it if you need to. It's made by British Gypsum Limited. It says so in in Ray's Blue Book of Plasterboard, published by British Gypsum Limited. But TP had no knowledge of this product and we couldn't find it on BGL's site either.

So I rang BGL's Tech Support. No, never heard of it. It turns out that Ray's Blue Book of Plasterboard was published in 1967.

The equivalent product today is Drywall Primer and appears to vary in price enormously depending on where you buy it. This project is bankrupting me. But there is no sense in stopping now, is there?

Attachments

• P1030094.JPG
    P1030094.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 730
  • P1030097.JPG
    P1030097.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 730
  • P1030093.JPG
    P1030093.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 730
  • P1030095.JPG
    P1030095.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 730
  • P1030096.JPG
    P1030096.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 729
Mansfield Folk Club, actually. I should be going tonight but I am too knackered. Last night we had Police helicopters overhead in the middle of the night and the night before there was a brawl in the street at 1.20am. Something to do with someone eyeing up somebody else's missus, IIUIC. Given that I've had a weekend of Doing Nice Things, for a change, and working on the build today, I just want a QNI.
BOF Steve.

Woodmonkey":120dq1lc said:
Steve where did you get your Ray from, I could use one of those

I believe Ray works for less than the minimum rate ..................... a few slices of cake per day :wink:

Steve Maskery":2qltax5y said:
Today Ray finished taping and filling the ceiling joints. We had to get the scaffolding to the front half of the room, which wasn't easy as some dork had left a pile of panels in the way.

Whilst Ray was doing that, I was sorting out the area above the door. We'd already made the panel, when Akram was here, but to fit it I wanted to fill the area with insulation. The lintel already has 50mm of insulation in it, and there was room for another 60mm. So it was jigsaw puzzle time again. I stole some from the void in the TL corner and then filled that with 100mm stuff that was left over from doing the rest of the walls.

I've colour-coded all the cables so that I know which cable powers what.

One mildly amusing thing that happened today was Ray going to Travis Perkins to ask about Joint Finish. Joint Finish is a product that you can put on the PB to make it smooth and all white and a good base for painting. It has the advantage that it is non-cementitious, so it just dries rather than sets. You can wet it and rework it if you need to. It's made by British Gypsum Limited. It says so in in Ray's Blue Book of Plasterboard, published by British Gypsum Limited. But TP had no knowledge of this product and we couldn't find it on BGL's site either.

So I rang BGL's Tech Support. No, never heard of it. It turns out that Ray's Blue Book of Plasterboard was published in 1967.

The equivalent product today is Drywall Primer and appears to vary in price enormously depending on where you buy it. This project is bankrupting me. But there is no sense in stopping now, is there?

Not enough info for me (and I'm tired) though maybe this is suitable?

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/products ... ning-paint

The TDS:

http://ukppgacprd.blob.core.windows.net ... 0Paint.pdf

Owl":36jru5eu said:
Woodmonkey":36jru5eu said:
Steve where did you get your Ray from, I could use one of those

I believe Ray works for less than the minimum rate ..................... a few slices of cake per day :wink:

From what we've seen of Steve's baking abilities I think he's very well paid if he gets that much cake a day :)

Have you thought of doing some Baking Essentials videos Steve? :lol:

You wouldn't suggest that if you'd tried the lemon muffins I made last week. They ended up in the bin. My tablesaw is lighter than they were.
S

Half the lights up.

Today we have put up three lights, two ceiling power outlets and a full length of Unistrut. It might not sound much but it has been a full day. Well, a full day by our standards, I wasn't actually dressed when Ray arrived this morning. I've not slept very well recently.

It might look as if Ray is doing absolutely everything, but the lights are a two-man job and I can't set the camera and get up the scaffolding in ten seconds.

P1030100.JPG

Some more of the Unistrut had to be slotted to accommodate our 8ft/2.4m faux pas,

P1030102.JPG

We also put PB in that space above the door, and I am assured that the electrician will call next week.

P1030101.JPG

P1030104.JPG

We have been talking about paint and floors. I am beginning to be enthused again. Of course, when you start on a project like this you are full of enthusiasm, but TBH, for a long time, this has been a long drag and I've been wondering what on earth I was thinking of. But now I am really beginning to see the end result in my mind's eye. That's not to say the job is nearly done, it most certainly isn't. But paint and floors seem like finishing touches. I mustn't get complacent, lots of work yet, especially outside.
S

Attachments

• P1030100.JPG
    P1030100.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 788
  • P1030102.JPG
    P1030102.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 788
  • P1030101.JPG
    P1030101.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 788
  • P1030104.JPG
    P1030104.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 787
Sorry I can't catch up on this thread, tooooo much, but are you going to have an open day?

I forgot to say, I think I have cocked up on the ceiling electrics. I do think it is a good idea to have some power up there, but I should have put the switches in the wall, not just use switched sockets on the ceiling. It means I'm going to have to poke about with a stick to switch stuff on and off!
silly person.
S

doctor Bob":3i5tta01 said:
Sorry I can't catch up on this thread, tooooo much, but are you going to have an open day?

Yes, I shall have at least two. One for all the elves who have helped along the way and then another for all the folk who have given me such great moral support along the way. Or just sat on their bums and looked on whilst the rest of us worked our socks off, whichever way you want to look at it! :)

That was a joke, I'm really grateful for the moral support. as I'm sure you know.

S

Steve Maskery":l00gt468 said:
I forgot to say, I think I have cocked up on the ceiling electrics. I do think it is a good idea to have some power up there, but I should have put the switches in the wall, not just use switched sockets on the ceiling. It means I'm going to have to poke about with a stick to switch stuff on and off!
silly person.
S

Is there a chance of adding a 13A Pull Switch next to the socket to isolate it, effectively switching it. If you don't like the idea of a toggle, just out of reach, then a rigid loop could be added to use with a shepherds crook :) , or similar.
xy

Zinnser gardz is a good product for plasterboard, it seals very well. You can then just apply normal contract emulsion which is cheap and cheerful, I like Johnstone's Jonmat. That's what I'd use and I'm a deccie :)

Back