Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray's been today, but I've been a bit of a spare part. OK, we finished the front wall

P1030081.JPG

well, nearly. We can't do the bit round the door until the power supply is done.

And I've finished screwing the PB and had a trip to the tip (all the waste PB from the whole job went easily into the back of my car in one trip), but I've not done much more. Actually I've been well below par. I was ill in the middle of the night and haven't felt right all day. I hope I'm not going down with the lurgy.

Anyway, whilst I was being useless, Ray went on to tape and fill the back wall.

P1030077.JPG

P1030079.JPG

P1030084.JPG

Same again tomorrow, I think.

Attachments

• P1030081.JPG
    P1030081.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • P1030077.JPG
    P1030077.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • P1030079.JPG
    P1030079.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,025
  • P1030084.JPG
    P1030084.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 1,025
Hi Steve,
Good work on the workshop so far. Good to see you're only plastering the gaps and screw holes. A lot of people seem to think the whole surface needs skimming. I'm sure you know but for painting PB I normally give a little sand if/ or where required then I wipe down the whole area with a damp cloth , regularly rinsing in a bucket of water then use a primer or watered down emulsion as the first coat.
Its going well
Danny

Bigdanny":2hrjwbpa said:
Hi Steve,
Good work on the workshop so far. Good to see you're only plastering the gaps and screw holes. A lot of people seem to think the whole surface needs skimming. I'm sure you know but for painting PB I normally give a little sand if/ or where required then I wipe down the whole area with a damp cloth , regularly rinsing in a bucket of water then use a primer or watered down emulsion as the first coat.
Its going well
Danny

Depends - if you have square edged PB then plastering the whole lot is necessary. With tapered edge PB you can skim the joins after taping as there is enough depth. I prefer to plaster the lot (or more accurately get someone who can plaster to do it!) so I get an even paint finish that doesn't show the joins.

Steve

I think Ray is planning to do some sort of wash skim. I'm not certain, but he has a hayloft that he has converted into a sort of function room and that looks perfect, so however he wants to do it, I'm not going to argue.
S

That's 1 great looking workspace Steve should stay warm in the winter, You and your helpers have done a great job on it, Have you started looking for the powerd verity of toys to fill it yet or have any thoughts on what you will go for ?

Today has been slow but profitable.

It started with a visit from the BCO. He took one look and smiled. "Excellent", he said, "this is the best Shed I've ever seen." He went on to tell me that one of the neighbours had complained. "Have you seen that $%^&*() great big thing that someone has put up over there?"
"Yes, and it's all above board". Obviously I don't know which neighbour, but from his gaze it was someone on the parallel street. There is always someone who wants to rain on your parade, isn't there?

Plus, I've made a mistake and have been looking for a solution that doesn't involve me having to sell my body on the streets to fund it, and we have finally found one that meets his approval. I'll talk about it more when we do the work, but not now.

He's coming again when we have dug the soakaway. I've only got to dig a hole 1.5m cubed, that's all.

Anyway, Ray has now done about half of the ceiling with his taping,
P1030092.JPG

and I went shopping for cable and consumer unit We are going to jury-rig the electrics from the log cabin as a temporary fix, so we can have lights and possibly my table saw (which will be helpful when I fit all the trim) from the existing outside circuitry until the trench is dug.

Here are some pics:

One of the jobs is to fix, temporarily, the lag screws for the unistrut stuff, so we can still find the trusses when the ceiling is finished.

P1030088.JPG

The Unistrut itself is designed for, surprise, surprise, 600mm centres and I, you will recall, decided to be the all-American workshop on 2ft centres. So I had to slot a couple of places for the fixings.

P1030086.JPG

We had the foresight, when we cast the concrete slab, to make access holes by putting a couple of pieces of foam around the perimeter, and labelling where they are! So I could drill a hole from the inside, through the sole-plate and pull the armoured cable through.

P1030089.JPG

P1030091.JPG

So although it doesn't look a lot different, it has been a very satisfactory day.

Attachments

• P1030086.JPG
    P1030086.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 908
  • P1030088.JPG
    P1030088.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 909
  • P1030089.JPG
    P1030089.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 909
  • P1030091.JPG
    P1030091.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 909
  • P1030092.JPG
    P1030092.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 909
Steve Maskery":21rpqv3j said:
I've definitely been out-shedded here. Spend 3m30s of your life watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... sTB0HnM6WM
S
Steve I've seen it before, I think someone posted a link to it on this site, I watched it again though, I find the Amish a fascinating culture, if only we adopted there ideas, your 'shed' would have been up and running in a couple of days!

Baldhead

Baldhead":39kjftia said:
Steve Maskery":39kjftia said:
I've definitely been out-shedded here. Spend 3m30s of your life watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... sTB0HnM6WM
S
Steve I've seen it before, I think someone posted a link to it on this site, I watched it again though, I find the Amish a fascinating culture, if only we adopted there ideas, your 'shed' would have been up and running in a couple of days!

Baldhead
Come on, even Steve couldn't cook enough cake to keep that lot going!

Looking great Steve. I know this is in the not to distant future and might not yet be in your thoughts but are you going to be running any ductwork for dust extraction?
BTW I saw Workshop Essentials being advertised in Pop Woodworking :D . The Americans may make some orders.

terrymck":32l0gqxm said:
Looking great Steve. I know this is in the not to distant future and might not yet be in your thoughts but are you going to be running any ductwork for dust extraction?

Good q. I'd like to, but this is already costing me a fortune, so I'll probably just make do with my standalone unit (which I do still have) for the time being.

terrymck":32l0gqxm said:
BTW I saw Workshop Essentials being advertised in Pop Woodworking :D . The Americans may make some orders.

Yes, they took box-load of DVDs and, furthermore, it was a very professional transaction, so that was a very welcome deal. I don't know how many they have sold, but one or two people have come to me to buy the other half of the collection, so it does bode well.

Great stuff. I'm heavily active on Marc Spagnuolo's WoodTalkOnline Forum and have been extolling the virtues of your DVD set to the members. Planting the seed shall we say.

Terry

Latest posts

Back