Spearpoint Marking Knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berncarpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
Started making a marking knife to go with my dovetail template today. Picked up an old Robert Sorby chisel last year at the car boot for 50p so thought i would repurpose it.
I want to make it similar to the DB knife i have
DSC_0217_zpsdd6d6c53.jpg

Set about grinding a point on the end first.

DSC_0220_zps1f616e74.jpg

DSC_0221_zpsbf8a9371.jpg

DSC_0224_zps41695002.jpg

DSC_0225_zpsdfd63681.jpg

DSC_0227_zps6a31ee93.jpg

DSC_0228_zps66733260.jpg

DSC_0234_zps3e919e39.jpg

DSC_0235_zps5be7fa35.jpg

DSC_0239_zps7481e777.jpg

Thats as far as i got tonight ,just have to grind a point and stick it in the handle .

Cheers Bern

Just my opinion, but I don't agree with destroying a nice old chisel like that, looks like boxwood handle and the older type of bevel with thin sides, assuming it was not already damaged beyond repair, it looks in good condition from the photo. Boot sales have plenty of abused plastic handled chisels (eg used to open tins of paint etc) that could have provided a blade good enough for making a marking knife.

Hi John
I have a bucket full of old chisels and most of them have boxwood handles all bought from car boot sales for next to nothing. This chisel has a beautiful thin blade and good steel and the boxwood is very nice no splits, perfect .Making a knife from this may seem bad to you but i wouldnt want to spend a week grinding down the lands on a thick plastic handled piece of junk thats only fit for a tin opener.I have turned a unused unloved very cheap old tool into a very nice tool that will get used and be treasured and loved again.

Cheers Bern :D

Ooooh very nice Bern, this is on my list of things to make. :)

I wonder if we will see a spate of Bern inspired marking knife threads to go with the toolbox. :mrgreen:

While I respect your workmanship in making the knife, Bern, I have to say I do tend to agree with JohnPW on this one. It does seem rather a shame to destroy a fine chisel that's in good order when all that's wanted is a small piece of toolsteel.

Just as a suggestion, if you have a bucketful of unused premium chisels, how about making up a couple of sets and offering them through the 'For Sale' section on the forum? I'm sure some of the newcomers to the hobby would welcome the opportunity to aquire some really good chisels at a sensible price, especially if you sent them prepared and sharpened up. After all, if you've been in the game for half a lifetime, a few chisels may not amount to much, but if you're a newcomer, maybe on a tight budget, a set of really fine chisels at a reasonable price may be precious indeed. That would give you some cash in hand for a luxury or two. A youngster gets some fine tools they'll treasure for a lifetime, the tools carry on doing what they were designed for, and you get some pocket money - everyone's a winner!

Hi

Surely this is going to result in a marking knife with a very, (too), thick blade unless a lot of metal is removed from the stock.

Regards Mick - (Very much on the 'it's a shame to ruin a good chisel for the sake of a bit of tool steel :( ' side of the fence).

Cheshirechappie":1g28ifvz said:
While I respect your workmanship in making the knife, Bern, I have to say I do tend to agree with JohnPW on this one. It does seem rather a shame to destroy a fine chisel that's in good order when all that's wanted is a small piece of toolsteel.

Just as a suggestion, if you have a bucketful of unused premium chisels, how about making up a couple of sets and offering them through the 'For Sale' section on the forum? I'm sure some of the newcomers to the hobby would welcome the opportunity to aquire some really good chisels at a sensible price, especially if you sent them prepared and sharpened up. After all, if you've been in the game for half a lifetime, a few chisels may not amount to much, but if you're a newcomer, maybe on a tight budget, a set of really fine chisels at a reasonable price may be precious indeed. That would give you some cash in hand for a luxury or two. A youngster gets some fine tools they'll treasure for a lifetime, the tools carry on doing what they were designed for, and you get some pocket money - everyone's a winner!

Despite not being a youngster, I'd definitely buy a set of good preloved chisels, for a reasonable price - even if you did buy them for 50p! (as I don't get to car boots myself).

RIP a decent chisel.

:(

This is what broken power hacksaw blades are for. They're not making 40 year old chisels any more.

BugBear

bugbear":2b9trce5 said:
RIP a decent chisel.

:(

This is what broken power hacksaw blades are for. They're not making 40 year old chisels any more.

BugBear
But in 40 years time there will be a lot more available. :mrgreen: I personally think this is a good way to recycle, after all it isn't like Bern used the last ever chisel. :roll:

judging by the bootfairs we wont run out of 40 yr old chisels

u could fill a carrier bag at every trip out

Steve

I seem to have upset you old tool lovers and am sorry if i have offended you by repurposing a perfectly good chisel. I dont plan on pushing this idea of repurposing old tools and would not want anyone to copy me .

Cheers Bern

not upset me

u could have got an old woodie
cut into many blades and turned the handles from the rest

i just take the irons out ,throw them in a drawer never to be seen and keep warm from the rest :oops:

Steve

I think fair play, it's not like these old chisels are rare, and it's been recycled into a good looking and useful tool which should be around in another 40 years.

It's always nice to have a sharp chisel in the rack, ready to be used, for when you don't want to stop and sharpen the one in your hand. Plus, a sharp chisel makes as good a shoulder-line as any marking knife.. RIP that chisel. :D

I would agree with you Woodmonkey, if that chisel had been worn right down to the last inch; as a good many are when we find them on eBay etc, But the part of a chisel near the handle isn't necessarily hardened to the right degree, for edge-keeping. :wink:

Benchwayze":2uokfyzu said:
But the part of a chisel near the handle isn't necessarily hardened to the right degree, for edge-keeping. :wink:

No problem, just re-harden it. Get it to red heat over a pile of burning books or something ...

Sheffield Tony":2h0yhipl said:
Benchwayze":2h0yhipl said:
But the part of a chisel near the handle isn't necessarily hardened to the right degree, for edge-keeping. :wink:

No problem, just re-harden it. Get it to red heat over a pile of burning books or something ...

Sure Tony. Sheffield isn't the only part of the world you can go to for 'sharpening-up'. 8)

I merely chipped in with my thoughts on the thread; having the strange idea that was the purpose of a forum.

Still if you like 'long knives' be my guest; but you're on your own. :wink:

Back