Criticizing Your Own Hand Work - a Knife in this case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I got nitro lacquer (brushing type, which I would assume is similar to at least some offerings -the array of solvents is pretty large and some not so healthy).

I liked the result of CA application and sanding and polishing - especially because there's no wait. You can apply to accelerator or use accelerator to wet sand, whatever the case, and within a few minutes, you have a built up finish that can be wet sanded and slow buffed to finish.

But I don't like the cold look of CA and the eye burning, not so good.

I tried padding on lacquer because I didn't have a natural bristle artists brush - no good. Garage is attached to the house with bedrooms overhead, so spraying is a no go.

Turns out that a dip into the lacquer can and then just leave the knife in a metal vise above the can and it builds pretty nicely, leaving only a sprue at the bottom end of the handle to file off and sand and buff way later. Much warmer look and no CA stuck to my fingertips and no burning eyes. The offgassing is minimal, so I can hang around for 30 seconds or so until most of the dripping goes back into the can and then leave the shop. good water resistance and repairable.
20221002_134954.jpg20221001_174251.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back