Variable speed Motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was attempting to indicate that I knew little about current engine technology - I've had my Honda Civic from new in 2007 and have only opened the bonnet to add oil & screen-wash :)

The concept of belt tensioning by adding an idler wheel is very simple, I used it when I built the mechanism for a 'Flying Boat' Propeller for a play centre in Kensington.

Here's another speed controller option that would be compatible with the job. This has a display and push buttons instead of a knob. The display would presumably show voltage or percent, there is no way to know the rpm of a universal motor without it having a sensor on the motor or some sophisticated electronics and calibration.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224315396389

Here's another speed controller option that would be compatible with the job. This has a display and push buttons instead of a knob. The display would presumably show voltage or percent, there is no way to know the rpm of a universal motor without it having a sensor on the motor or some sophisticated electronics and calibration.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224315396389
Thanks for the continued interest & suggestions - - - I've been thinking along the same lines (of course) and about 5 minutes ago I ordered a Digital Tachometer with Hall Effect sensor - it's an item I've been meaning to fit to my Myford S7 for some time so whether it gets used on the Faceting Machine or the Lathe is irrelevant; it'll give me some experience/knowledge anyway.

My intention would be to fit the magnet to the pully driving the platen and position the sensor accordingly.

Last edited:
As anticipted, life is seldom straight forward :confused:

I've just tried to buy the AC-DC converter Power Supply - - the quoted price is £11.40 + VAT . . . . reasonable I thought, and I anticipated a carriage charge - - -

- - - but not £12+VAT :unsure:

That takes the cost to £28+

I could buy 3 and get free delivery though. What are the chances that I could quickly sell 2 on eBay . . . . .?

Last edited:
I've now placed the order for 3 with free delivery by UPS - I hadn't realized that this item would be shiupped from Minisotta ! - I ordered from DigiKey UK so assumed that there would be UK stock. Mind you, I did have to jump through a number of hoops, confirming that I was an OEM who would not be on-shipping to any other destination - - - and I think that having a VAT Nº helped :) - I might even be able to reclaim the VAT !

I've also ordered the Motor and DC Controller.

Now searching for good quality 8mm x 1.5 Trapizoidal Lead-screw & Nut - - - Found a 500mm lead-screw for ~£15 but they want £25+ for a nut ???? - I must be looking in the wrong place.

Back