Solution for rats in my garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glossopguy

Established Member
Reaction score
So I had a bit of a surprise the other day. I was in the garage, just getting my tools, when I spotted a mouse darting behind a stack of boxes. I thought, "Okay, it's just one mouse, no biggie." But then I started moving things around, and yep, I found little droppings and some chewed-up insulation. Not what you want to see in your garage, right?

I considered traps, but honestly, I didn't want to deal with setting them up and checking them all the time. Plus, I've got a couple of cats that like to explore the garage, and traps could be risky for them. After some quick googling, I found this mouse repellent spray. It uses natural stuff like peppermint oil, which is supposed to keep mice away without hurting pets or the environment. I figured it was worth a shot, so I ordered a bottle.

I sprayed it around the baseboards, the garage door, and any other spots where mice might sneak in. The peppermint smell was pretty strong at first, but it wasn't too bad. It faded after a while, and I didn't really mind it.

The good news? It actually worked. Within a day or two, I didn't see any more mice or find any new droppings. It's been about a week now, and the garage has been completely quiet. My cats are back to lounging around without a care, so I guess they don't mind the peppermint.

If you're dealing with mice in your garage or house, I definitely recommend giving this spray a try. It’s way easier than setting traps, and you don’t have to worry about your pets getting into something dangerous. Has anyone else tried it or found another way to keep mice out of the garage? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Can’t see how he could be fake after all the comments he’s made?
Something I found out the other day which I didn’t know was that mice - and probably rats, can’t stand trying to bite wire wool, I don’t think I would either lol. So the idea is to block up any gaps and holes with it.
Ian
Ps any solution for rats, it needs to be the final solution!

They need some training, or you are overfeeding them !

Glossop is in Derbyshire, you are in Durham so have you had a move ?
The mice in Barnard Castle are as big as rats. ;)

Wire wool for stuffing up holes is well known to work and you can use coarse wool with expanding foam for bigger gaps. I've used exp foam with chicken wire to keep bird out.
Peppermint oil also works but isn't cheap and it stinks, I really don't like the smell much. I use it around the underside and in the engine bay of the motor home as a deterrent. A friend kindly gve me a sachet which has lived in the engine bay for several months

The mice in Barnard Castle are as big as rats? Depends upon your glasses.
Yebbut the rats are as big as cats. Must be something in the water or peppermint spray is actually a growth hormone. :LOL:

Barnard Castle is a nice little market town worth a visit if you ever venture oop norf Phil. My inlaws live on the outskirts so we're there occasionally

Bit confused as your thread title is about rats 🐀 in your garage but your post refers to mice .. there are several plants and shrubs that rats dislike so not surprising the peppermint worked on your rats..err mice 🐁 lol..
I'm not at all their fan, so for me they are the same mice or rats. :ROFLMAO:
Baseboards? Sounds a bit American. Call me suspicious, but the whole post sounds a bit fake.
Know a fence?
Nope, it's not fake
Can’t see how he could be fake after all the comments he’s made?
Something I found out the other day which I didn’t know was that mice - and probably rats, can’t stand trying to bite wire wool, I don’t think I would either lol. So the idea is to block up any gaps and holes with it.
Ian
Ps any solution for rats, it needs to be the final solution!
Totally agree here! Just don't want to meet them again...

May seem like a daft question, but why have you got mice/rats in your garage? Is there a source of food for them nearby? Maybe dealing with that will sort out you rodent infestation.

Baseboards are American and Canadian, you call them skirting boards, I'm not suspicious. Maybe the poster is an expat?
Glossopguy is a Canadian expat who writes infomercials for a living.
He has red hair, spent some time ski-guiding in the French Alps, and used to own a parrot called Hector.
You know my methods, Watson..

Latest posts

Back