Shop made clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbrains":17s6jb7u said:
MattRoberts":17s6jb7u said:
Check out woodgears.ca - Matthias created some deep throat C clamps

https://youtu.be/5U7ufIyBaos

Hello,

They look absolutely useless! Sorry to sound negative, but the pressure required for a glue up would exceed the destruction point of that clamp by a phenomenal amount. But then I don't think the guy understands how glue works, from some of the things he's witten.

Mike.
Interesting, what are you basing your views on? He's been using the clamps for years, and has built two large bandsaws, a home made surface planer, multiple clamps, a panto-router, two dust extractors and various other woodworking machinery using wooden components.

But you could be right - he might not have much of a clue.

woodbrains":1cy68ork said:
MattRoberts":1cy68ork said:

Hello,

They look absolutely useless! Sorry to sound negative, but the pressure required for a glue up would exceed the destruction point of that clamp by a phenomenal amount. But then I don't think the guy understands how glue works, from some of the things he's witten.

Mike.
Well, he's recently done a test (vs John Heisz) and they were bending a reasonably substantial hardwood board with those clamps.

I made some too (diy-long-reach-c-clamps-t94024.html), though a little bigger, and I've never had a problem with their strength. Frankly, if I needed to use a level of pressure for a glue up that would damage one of those clamps I'd be worried. I have occasionally needed plenty of force on a glue up (e.g. mortice suffering from glue freeze) but never in a deep clamp scenario. Plus a mallet usually gets things seated.

Building clamps is fun and has saved me lots of money, my time is free and doesn't cost anything. Just recently I was lucky I had my John Heisz style bar clamps, only ones long enough to clamp up the legs of the child size roubo bench I am making for my kids.

Shame there isn't an old Roman chippy on here, I bet he would solve any clamping problem with a couple of bits of rough sawn rubbish wedged against a ceiling joist or something.

That was rubbish not rubbish perhaps I should have type dung or dung, or :lol:

I suppose I could make deep or long clamps almost as easily as regular ones, but basically I was thinking to try making a few regular clamps and see how it goes. As I said above, I enjoy pottering in the shed and expect to enjoy making these, as well as saving money on the purchase price. If things go well then I shall probably make at least half a dozen regular ones and a selection of deep / extra long ones. However if it becomes a tedious exercise then it will be a case of go out and buy some when I need them.

K

woodbrains":371vh6dk said:
Sorry to sound negative, but the pressure required for a glue up would exceed the destruction point of that clamp by a phenomenal amount. But then I don't think the guy understands how glue works, from some of the things he's witten.
I actually think you're right that he doesn't properly understand glues Mike – his much-linked-to glue test shows this clearly enough – but I think your conclusion predicated on this is flawed. With that amount of glue surface area and with good tight joints as they appear to be you'd need to exceed the breaking strain of the wood itself for a major structural failure to occur.

And armchair theorising aside the French used wooden clamps very like this, only with simpler (i.e. weaker) joints, which worked well enough that the design continued in manufacture for many centuries.

MattRoberts":22tjzfe8 said:
woodbrains":22tjzfe8 said:
MattRoberts":22tjzfe8 said:

Hello,

Mike.
Interesting, what are you basing your views on? He's been using the clamps for years, and has built two large bandsaws, a home made surface planer, multiple clamps, a panto-router, two dust extractors and various other woodworking machinery using wooden components.

But you could be right - he might not have much of a clue.

Hello,

Look, for some light duty work, they may be OK, but consider this : I have destruction tested bridle joints, mortice and tenon etc, and what did i use to apply the pressure: G cramps! They did not even come close to the maximum pressure available to the g cramps, nor my hand strength. I generally apply more pressure with my clamps during my glue ups. Those wooden clamps are a lever where the load is the joint, and the mechanical advantage is the length of the arms. The force applied to the workpiece by the screw needs to be quite high and this is magnified by a great many times at the joint, and the deeper throat the clamp the greater the strain on the joint.

Also, when clamping, the pressure applied to the workpiece is only available in an area below a 'cone' spreading out 45 degrees beneath the clamping pad. So there is very little spread of the clamping pressure on the work piece. Since glue requires continuous pressure across the entire area to be stuck, we have to either use many, many clamps, usually too many to fit into the space without causing clashes, or use thick clamping blocks to increase the size of 'cone' to spread the pressure over a larger area. Since pressure decreases as the area increases, we have to add even more clamping force to the clamp screw to get enough pressure. The strain on the wooden clamp's joints is immense.

As another poster said, the French have used wooden clamps, historically. But I would suggest they were gluing their work with hot hide glue, which does not need the high clamping pressures of PVA, it's derivatives, polyurethane and UF etc. If wooden clamps were practical, there would be vast quantities of them in every wood shop everywhere as, after all they can be made as easily as any frame that is made commonly and cheaply by woodworkers. But wooden clamps are very rare and the often expensive cast iron variety are ubiquitous. For a good reason.

Incidentally, Mr. Wendell is indeed a talented Inventor. But the internet has given him notoriety over the many others who make their own tools without advertisement. Before I was 20 or so, long before YouTube video was even thought of, I had made a 3 wheeled bandsaw, wood turning lathe (2) tablesaw and fence system, sliding table, crosscut saw for a plunge cut circular saw that was more versatile than a tracksaw with parf dogs as I could trench on mine and dimension narrow stock etc, more like a RAS. Using materials like old bikes, wheelchairs and scrapped pillar drills. I had no welding gear nor any machinery better than an electric drill and the machines I previously built. All metal was joined with rivets and everything else was made with mostly reclaimed wood. Every sort of fixture and accessory you could think of.

Obviously, since then, I've made every sort of router jig, tenoning jigs, router tables by the shed load, several cabinet makers benches, a 5 by 6 metre workshop, hand planes and other hand tools, the list is endless.

I'm not short of a little experience with these sorts of thing!

Mike.

I am not sure about the strength and durability of wooden clamps either, and I don't think I would spend time making any. Since I have a welder and some 1", 1 1/2" and 2" box section steel lying around I think making steel clamps is worth trying. I am sure welded joints reinforced with webs will be really strong, especially in 2" steel. I don't think they will have the aesthetic appeal of hardwood clamps though. I suspect the end result will be more functional than attractive, but I don't mind that and I can spend my Axminster vouchers from Christmas (£80 so far, and a birthday comng up!!!) on things I can't make. I am thinking of a random orbit sander, the Makita one for about £80 has good reviews.

K

The heisz designed wood clamps I have are powerful enough to clamp as hard as my pipe clamps, more powerful I would say, and less 'bendy', the pipe clamps have got speed and convencience going for them, but the bar clamps are heavy duty, laminated worktop benches with them.

The wooden hand screws I make have about the same reach as the 4" Record "deep throat" clamps I have.
You could make them bigger if you needed a longer reach. I've used them for glue ups. No problem.
They're fun to make but not worth it financially unless you consider your time free.
img_0584.jpg

St.J

Here's my diy bar clamp when I glued up the stretcher between the front legs of a bench I am working on. Not counting time the 8 or so clamps I built cost me 15 euros in hardware of which I had plenty left over afterwards.
31000342203_7fb147944c_b.jpg

This was the first bench I built, Matthias wandel design, but I laminated a top since I did not have a solid core door, used the clamps to laminate the top. Since been replaced by a real scandinavian bench, serves as an all purpose bench / assembly table now.
26174670073_0eeefeb690_b.jpg

Gluing up an octagonal outdoor table
20973266725_25f1a83430_b.jpg

Gluing up the front panel for my solar collector
20897608933_aac0abb41c_b.jpg

As you can see I've had lots of mileage out of these clamps. Now since I bought 1/2" pipe clamps from dieter schmidt, those have been my main clamps, but they are not as long and also cannot clamp as hard as these can without bending, so they still see use.

Latest posts

Back