Security Cameras?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
After a recent rash of problems in the area, I'd like to fit a security camera/recorder system on my workshop. Mainly for peace of mind.

Anyone any reccomendations or advice to offer.

Mike

I would suggest lighting and extra security before cameras.

Cameras are all well and good, but the possibility of getting a good ID from them from a police point of view is very difficult.

It would be much better to contact your local police forces crime reduction advisor, asking for a home visit to advise, and seeing what they reccommend.

Trust me. :wink:

If you're looking for some motion detection software to go with your security cameras (so you can record to disk) I strongly recommend ZoneMinder - It's a linux thing and costs £0 - It's also absolutely superb.

Lukey":39rr1d5q said:
It would be much better to contact your local police forces crime reduction advisor, asking for a home visit to advise, and seeing what they reccommend.

Trust me. :wink:

Good advice also the CPA visit is free of charge....get something back for your council tax :lol:

Hi Mike,

I specced and installed a CCTV system for my bros workshop and stables recently. To get clear footage that can resolve enough detail, you should choose ideally,

At least a 480 line or better still, a 520 line colour camera with IR for 24hr surveillance. This is the one we installed primarily because of the situation, we needed a long IR range. Police could easily identify an intruder from the video footage.

A DVR. We got one of these with a CD-R to download footage. Forget a camera with built in PIR. The motion detection feature on these DVR's is very impressive, and you can programme the area of the image and various sensitivity settings where you want motion detection.

I found Henrys very good to deal with. Professional gear along with knowledgeable technical advice. When the motherboard was found to be faulty on the DVR, they got it mended and back to me in 3 days!.

Whatever you get though, don't skimp on the camera, as the cheapy ones are as useful as a chocolate teapot if the worst happens, and you want incriminating evidence that the police can make use of.

cheers,

Ike

Hi Mike,

As stated above, security is the first thing to sort out before cameras and you seem to have this sorted. Cameras are only any use after the event and good security should stop the event happening in the first place.

For what it's worth, we had problems with kids at work entering the yard by climbing over the gate and getting up to all sorts of mischief.

The local Crime Prevention Officer advised using something called 'Vandalene' which is an anti-vandal paint. It's black and you paint it on in places where the people enter and because it never dries, they will get covered in the stuff. Apparently, it's impossible to wash off completely so the police can see it on their clothing after the event.

Since applying it about nine months ago, we've not had any more incidents.

Hope this is of some use,

regards

brian

One more thing, Camera SIGNS are just as effective as cameras for stopping crime.
Especially nowadays when cameras can be as little as a 5 pence piece or smaller!

I would echo the advice re general security.

Having a 'good' CCTV system will cost and it's only any use 'after' the event (Well OK it is a form of deterent if visible)

Physical security needs to be No. 1 priority.

brianhabby":1kg37zja said:
Hi Mike,

As stated above, security is the first thing to sort out before cameras and you seem to have this sorted. Cameras are only any use after the event and good security should stop the event happening in the first place.

For what it's worth, we had problems with kids at work entering the yard by climbing over the gate and getting up to all sorts of mischief.

The local Crime Prevention Officer advised using something called 'Vandalene' which is an anti-vandal paint. It's black and you paint it on in places where the people enter and because it never dries, they will get covered in the stuff. Apparently, it's impossible to wash off completely so the police can see it on their clothing after the event.

Since applying it about nine months ago, we've not had any more incidents.

Hope this is of some use,

regards

brian

Cheap alternative to this is get some old dark coloured gloss paint and mix it with used engine oil , i did this at our old house on the tops of the outside walls and six years later it was still tacky and i know it did not wash out as the wife tried everything to get it off the clothes i was wearing when i applied it :shock: :wink:

My son worked in the security 'business' for a while and he said they sold a lot of 'CCTV In Operation' signs. Just the signs, not system to go with them. Is a burglar going to take the risk?

In the US our house had a 'Brinks' security shield sticker in the front window. No system, just the sticker. Never had any problems, although the neighbours did.....

Latest posts

Back