Alarm and security cameras Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ring doorbell at least. I've heard that plebs go elsewhere in London because they know that footage "could/might" be replayed in court.
There is a channel on youtube entitled Doorbell News.
Examples:

Last edited:
I have the Yale IA 300 series sync smart alarm which, once the hub is connected to the wifi router, you can have up to 60 devices. This includes cameras (indoor and outdoor), PIR, door connectors etc. The range is 200m so you can cover outbuildings too. Not a subscription service and can be controlled through multiple mobile phones where you can control what notifications you receive. I installed mine with 3 x cameras, 2 x PIR & 2 x door connectors and have not had a problem in 18 months. Available in all good stores, traditional or online. It will also interact with Alexa and hue if you have existing smart technology.
Do you store camera footage if needed later?

I gave up on the ring system as it triggered on anything passing, no matter how close I set the detection to be. The slow response time too was another factor. Fitted a typical home security camera in the roof of my front porch and it allows excellent control of response area, proximity etc., and stores to an SD card ( thus no charges for cloud type storage). Viewable etc. anywhere by an associated app. and also Alexa and Google app friendly. And a lot cheaper…

I have been considering how to improve security and found this discussion useful. In summary, it seems that:
  • a "professional" will get into any property they choose. The solution - ensure there is nothing of real value apparently worth stealing. Avoid obvious clues - flash motor in the drive, visible wealth (TV, jewellery, conspicuous consumption).
  • deterring the opportunist from even trying seems the best defence - external lighting, perhaps a camera of two, decent locks on shed and garage
  • audible alarms - will often be ignored be neighbours and police as "false" but for the intruder adds to their risk
  • relying on security company or plod to respond effectively if the alarm is triggered is optimistic - by the time they turn up (if they do) the intruder will be long gone
  • it seems that, even with good camera evidence, the police can be tardy in following up. Even if prosecution follows it is unlikely to result in the return of that which was taken or compensation for damage done
  • make sure home insurance is up to date and that you comply with the terms - particularly with respect to door locks, security of IT and important documents.
  • keeping a shotgun, crossbow, knife or baseball bat easily accessible is likely to land you with a longer sentence that the scumbag who tried it on

Social media tends to do a better job than the police in locating intruders from camera footage, our local FB group started posting footage from peoples cameras- and in a small country town, it was easy to 'name and shame' the scumbags involved in a series of breakins- they then found they were under constant public scrutiny lol plus they found things like even buying things became difficult- in under a few months, the breakins stopped and they moved on...

One thing is don't actually publicly put their name up even if you know it (that can be an issue legally sadly)- but you are quite within your rights to post your own photos of 'an unknown intruder' on your property ...
;-)

Back