Alarm and security cameras Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I just about know enough on the subject to write the title! I need to install 7 possibly 8 security cameras at my house and a new alarm system. I’ve no idea what I need, the better systems to select to make any form of sensible decisions. Any pointers would be most welcome. Equally any recommended installers in the Holmes Chapel area.

Alarm wise, I have a "professionally fitted and maintained" system from a local supplier - reduces my home insurance cost. Been in 20 years and company maintain it once a year for £7 / month
I have a few Ring cameras for security, along with the Ring doorbell. Works great for me, i get real time access to them via the £8/month cloud service. All the footage is stored on the cloud, so nothing to nick should the burglars pay a visit. Doorbell works well when we are not in, talk to delivery persons and tell them where to leave stuff (and watch them on the cameras) via app on smartphone or ipad. I'm sure these wont be to everyone's liking, but they work for me. I also have one high up and solar powered - worked flawlessly since I installed it.

They are on offer on amazon prime right now if your interested.

I have the Yale IA 300 series sync smart alarm which, once the hub is connected to the wifi router, you can have up to 60 devices. This includes cameras (indoor and outdoor), PIR, door connectors etc. The range is 200m so you can cover outbuildings too. Not a subscription service and can be controlled through multiple mobile phones where you can control what notifications you receive. I installed mine with 3 x cameras, 2 x PIR & 2 x door connectors and have not had a problem in 18 months. Available in all good stores, traditional or online. It will also interact with Alexa and hue if you have existing smart technology.

Been looking myself and come across the Swan system: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DD7ZTL2/ref=redir_mobile_desktop? Especially like the flashing red/blue lights as a deterrent to opportunists, the reality is that you will not stop career criminal from getting into the house, they know it takes at least half an hour for anyone to respond to alarms, have I just talked myself out of getting a camera system. 🤔

My neighbour has just installed a couple of these and says they're brilliant. He pays a couple of quid a month for cloud storage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BZBHL...6781b006f5c72&language=en_GB&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
I read one review and that was enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Reading the terms of usage is a must!
Reviewed in the United States on 12 August 2023
Colour Name: Wifi CamVerified Purchase
Received the camera and started with the app. Read the terms of usage closely! It states repeatedly that an un named third party has all access to your video, images, likeness, and personal information and specifically states that you as the user/consumer are responsible for all misusage and edited usage of your video/images/personal information by this third party. And that this company may come after you for monetary and other damages that the misusage without your consent may create. It also includes verbiage about the state of China and how they interpret your video footage, etc. Despite the fact that the AppStore states no personal data is collected, the privacy policy and terms of usage state quite the opposite. Will be returning this camera pronto. Only gave it one star because zero isn’t an option. And it was delivered three days late.

My daughter's Ring doorbell caught a porch pirate - and the Police took the footage and identified the perp.

Little seems to have happened as he is still regularly seen in the streets in the area. But Police failings are a different topic.

My advice is ensure all the camera are wired using cat 5e or 6. This single cable would deliver power to the cameras from the dedicated NVR
What brand you choose is another question. The likes of Hikvision and Dahua are popular but read into it what you may as the UK & US governments are against the firms as well as others.
You will need able to view footage from phones, PCs, tablets etc
You can also have the NVR hooked up to a TV close by via an HDMI cable
Pay close attention to what cameras you choose and where you locate them. Spiders do like some cameras which means regular cleaning
Some cameras have microphones that allow for 2 way communication.
A 2Tb drive would be more than enough

In the UK ther5e is government concern on Hickvision gear. That's why they are still on MOD sites.

There was a concern about wireless kit and DVR not having the default access codes changed. A very common issue.
I know I find this all the time.

CT 5 is more than good enough for home and small business use.
Plus Hickvision UK gear does have a good warranty support.
https://www.adiglobaldistribution.co.uk/
If brought direct from an approved outlet. We get all out gear from them ^^^^^^

2Tb or plus is great, but please set the camera up correctly.

Yes seeing the live action is great, but not if you are 5 mikes+ plus away. Yes you can call the police, but I suspect nothing will happen.

The Hick gear will allow you to burn to CD or Flash drive.

The Hick DVR ha a dedicated port for the monitor, plus one O/P can be used for signaling in or out.

Having them linked to monitoring service normally gets a quicker response, as they can advise police if there is someone on the premises, as for the police its a slam dunk coller and positive statistical clear up rate fir them.

It will cost for live monitoring, but that's offset by piece of mind I guess...

My experience with monitored alarms, work and home, 5 occasions was that I got to the scene on 3 occasions quicker, a lot quicker than the police and on the other 2 occasions the police didn’t arrive at all!

I now have a Pyronix system that dials me in case of alarm.

On a related topic, what do people think of Smart Water to help identify perps after the event - or are the Police just too useless to make it worthwhile?

And as we keep having these security discussions, forum admins how about a dedicated section of all our security discussions?

On a related topic, what do people think of Smart Water to help identify perps after the event - or are the Police just too useless to make it worthwhile?

And as we keep having these security discussions, forum admins how about a dedicated section of all our security discussions?
The police will not bother.
unless you are famous, rich or locally connected.

They may bother if it is going to be an easy arrest.

Yes - looking at sentencing that seems to be borne out there also.

Pleb on pleb crimes like burglaries get scant attention from the Police and judiciary.

Crimes that impact on the funds for politicians to pineapple up the wall, on the other hand, get the book thrown at them.

what do people think of Smart Water
It will prove that the item is yours and the stuff cannot be removed unless you damage the item which makes it worthless, an equally important part of this system is to clearly advertise the fact you are using Smartwater as it is a known deterrent to scum bags. The company has a good track record and has protected many things from lead on church roofs to vehicle convertors .

I need to install 7 possibly 8 security cameras at my house and a new alarm system.
Nothing like making it stand out, that will just scream out that there is stuff worth taking and scumbags might just go the extra mile to burgle the place.

The first line of defence is lighting and noise, gravel paths so you cannot creep around and PIR activated lights so they have nowhere to hide. Also check the boundary as you do not want a back way in from a footpath or a neighbours property, secure fencing is a good start.

The police will not bother.
unless you are famous, rich or locally connected.

They may bother if it is going to be an easy arrest.
I doubt it. A guy my neighbour (a builder) worked with went to the plod with a cctv image of a known scrote breaking into his van (and smiling and sticking a finger up to the camera) ........... along with his name and address. They still couldn't do anything as "the image wasn't clear enough".

I doubt it. A guy my neighbour (a builder) worked with went to the plod with a cctv image of a known scrote breaking into his van (and smiling and sticking a finger up to the camera) ........... along with his name and address. They still couldn't do anything as "the image wasn't clear enough".
Then he should make a formal complaint, go public and contact the local mp.

They will soon act.

My stuff is SmartWatered. Whether it works, I don't know, I've not been burgled. I use the theory that my b.i.l. used years ago - he had an alarm and camera system that he said was lousy, but his five neighbours didn't have one at all, so it wasn't his house that would get broken into.

Back