Check your dashcam ...especially if it's a Nextbase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the NextBase GW622 fitted in my car for 2 years now and no problems at all. Seems to work perfectly with very good image quality. Not so good at night but, I understand that this is the case with most makes of camera.
Out of curioisity, how often have you :

- checked the battery is good for 10-15 minutes
- checked you can view and extract any video files
- how easy is it to connect your mobile phone to the dashcam with the minimum of fuss and bother and is that consistent ?
- can you view video files on your mobile directly from the camera mounted in the car
- if you have the SOS subscription, does your dashcam log into your mobile each tme you use the car and not show Phone SOS failed to connect

I wonder if they improved things with the 622 ?

Can't remember which version mine is but I haven't had any problems with it. Haven't checked it's actually recording recently but it certainly has been when I have checked it in the past.

Never really understood how it is meant to work on battery so never worried about it. It just turns on when I turn the car on from the aux socket. I think the battery is for park mode isn't it? and it only comes on if a bump is detected.

Never connected to my mobile as never needed to.

Just bought the other half a Kenwood one, haven't set it up yet. Looks very similar in size/style to the Nextbase one I have. It seemed to be one of the few that still do a suction cup mount. The newer nextbase ones seem to have stick on mounts and I don't want to mess about sticking things to my window as they are a pain to position correctly in the begining and move if I need to.

Can't remember which version mine is but I haven't had any problems with it. Haven't checked it's actually recording recently but it certainly has been when I have checked it in the past.

Never really understood how it is meant to work on battery so never worried about it. It just turns on when I turn the car on from the aux socket. I think the battery is for park mode isn't it? and it only comes on if a bump is detected.

Never connected to my mobile as never needed to.

Just bought the other half a Kenwood one, haven't set it up yet. Looks very similar in size/style to the Nextbase one I have. It seemed to be one of the few that still do a suction cup mount. The newer nextbase ones seem to have stick on mounts and I don't want to mess about sticking things to my window as they are a pain to position correctly in the begining and move if I need to.
The idea of the battery is that the camera can still carry on recording stuff for a short while if you have an accident and the engine has stopped/switched off etc.

The idea of the battery is that the camera can still carry on recording stuff for a short while if you have an accident and the engine has stopped/switched off etc.
makes sense. I'll have a check and see what mine does later.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 14.23.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 14.23.59.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 0
I had two Nextbase cameras, the ones with the double camera for rear view, the reason I bought the second one for the wife withing 6 months of the first one as it seemed good until about 8 months and they started playing up, customer service was worse than terrible until I gave them a shocking review but by then they had both completely failed and as Nextbase didn't want to know they went in the bin. Would never deal with them again.

I had two Nextbase cameras, the ones with the double camera for rear view, the reason I bought the second one for the wife withing 6 months of the first one as it seemed good until about 8 months and they started playing up, customer service was worse than terrible until I gave them a shocking review but by then they had both completely failed and as Nextbase didn't want to know they went in the bin. Would never deal with them again.
Now why am I not surprised !

Out of curioisity, how often have you :

- checked the battery is good for 10-15 minutes
- checked you can view and extract any video files
- how easy is it to connect your mobile phone to the dashcam with the minimum of fuss and bother and is that consistent ?
- can you view video files on your mobile directly from the camera mounted in the car
- if you have the SOS subscription, does your dashcam log into your mobile each tme you use the car and not show Phone SOS failed to connect

I wonder if they improved things with the 622 ?
Hello RogerS. To partly answer your questions. My DashCam was hard-wired by agents for NextBase and so I have never been concerned about the battery and I wouldn't know how to check it. It just kicks-in as soon as I get in the car, I'm pretty sure it does that even before I start the engine. I have extracted videos for submission and, on each occasion I have been informed 'that further action will be taken' and so from this, I assume that the quality is up to scratch for their purposes.
I have never felt the need to connect my phone to the camera but yesterday I did try it. I wasn't successful despite the fact that I had the app on my phone. The camera was showing as being connected via Bluetooth on my phone but the screen on the camera kept showing the message that the app was needed to enable the connection. I don't know why that would be but, when the rain gives over I will try again and will report back.

I'm not too concerned about the SOS feature on the dashcam as my car has it already built in.

Many thanks for checking. The reason for the battery (and wire it's a god diea it actually works) I've explained above together with links oin how to check it if you're so minded. I could be wrong but don't think it will switch on before you put the ignition on.

Good that your extracted videos went OK.

Your result using the mobile is par for the course. There is a technical term ....Fairly Loose Action Keeps Everyone Yelling or FLAKEY for short:)

Back