Check your dashcam ...especially if it's a Nextbase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently about to get my fifth replacement Nextbase 522GW as the internal battery never holds a charge...in any of them. Operation of the camera is flakey at best.

Glibly thought that my Nextbase 522GW was recording everything. So thought I'd check. Gave up (again) trying to get my mobile phone to connect to the camera. Connected camera up to the computer to discover....nada. No videos. No files. Nowt. Am using the Nextbase SD card so that should not be the issue.

My advice is to check your dashcams to see if (a) they are actually recording and (b) you can actually get the video files off should you need them.

Dashcam batteries are woeful things, my nexttbase dashcam is dead and a new OEM battery is unobtainable, all the sellers are flogging 3rd party batteries and going on previous experience, they're not worth the bother.

Next dashcam will be one of them capicitator based ones, which are more expensive so in the long finger right now...

I agree with the Op....... I've had similar issues.

Nextbase seem to have cornered a market with their line-up..... I'd be interested to hear of reliable alternatives.

However, I did find that on my version of the same camera, the push-fit connection between the cameraand its bracket fixed to the windscreen had some sort of electrical compromise built up over time - plus the issues of wide variations in temperature, summer and winter..
I suspect that sometimes a minute amount of oxide forms on the metal that adds resistance to the power from the car.
Things seemed to work better - including the battery performance - when I tarted up both sides of the connections.

I find this also happens on button batteries that are installed for long periods.

I ran their battery test and charged up the camera overnight on my computer (iMac). Failed.

Nextbase have a very strange idea about warranty. Surely if I buy a camera and it fails and I get a replacement then the warranty starts again from the date that I get the replacement camera ? Nextbase say it does not. I have to send the camera into them. At my cost, naturally.

I'd also be interested to hear of reliable alternatives.

I ran their battery test and charged up the camera overnight on my computer (iMac). Failed.

Nextbase have a very strange idea about warranty. Surely if I buy a camera and it fails and I get a replacement then the warranty starts again from the date that I get the replacement camera ? Nextbase say it does not. I have to send the camera into them. At my cost, naturally.

Generally, if you buy almost anything and it is replaced under warranty, the warranty continues from the original item purchase date and not from the supply of the replacement. Were it to start again, some consumers would engineer a perpetual warranty and that would be unfair for the supplier.

I've had the same problem with Nextbase, the batteries are made of chocolate and the Ebay replacements are about as useless too. I think the alternative to having a dashcam that never had the correct date even if it does record when you need it to, is to use a non ignition feed to the camera so its on 24/7. As long as your main car battery is in good order and you use the car regular I cant see its going to be such a battery drainer that it causes you bigger problems like car not starting. Date & time will always be correct so video submissable if needed & you get coverage of the front of your car when parked & unattended.

I've had the same problem with Nextbase, the batteries are made of chocolate and the Ebay replacements are about as useless too. I think the alternative to having a dashcam that never had the correct date even if it does record when you need it to, is to use a non ignition feed to the camera so its on 24/7. As long as your main car battery is in good order and you use the car regular I cant see its going to be such a battery drainer that it causes you bigger problems like car not starting. Date & time will always be correct so video submissable if needed & you get coverage of the front of your car when parked & unattended.
How easy is it to replace the batery in a Nextbase ? I have the 522GW. Might be possible to get a better quality replacement battery/capacitor from elsewhere other than ChinaBay.

Mine is bottom end of the Nextbase range but I just did a check and it draws around 370mA at 12 volts through its 5v reducer so shouldn't be a problem to leave it connected 24/7 without flattening the car battery.

Unfortunately that is the same with any item you buy, the guarantee runs from the date of first purchase. I have had the same with car battery and a very expensive kettle, now consigned to the dustbin.

Many thanks. Do you not find the size a bit large and intrusive? By my calculation, it's slab 4" x 1.25" x 2" approx.
I don’t think it is quite as large as that. I have mine positioned immediately under the box of bits for the rear view mirror. When I am driving I cannot see it. It’s in a Toyota Corolla.

I have had the NextBase GW622 fitted in my car for 2 years now and no problems at all. Seems to work perfectly with very good image quality. Not so good at night but, I understand that this is the case with most makes of camera.

Latest posts

Back