More SD card woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two cameras, a Lumix G1 for stills and a Lumix G7 for video. I have a number of SD cards and they get used in both cameras.

Yesterday both cameras were complaining about one of the SD cards. The G7 says it is write protected (it isn't) and the G1 says it has a Parameter Error, whatever one of those is.

I re-formatted it on a PC but to no avail. The card is a microSd in an adaptor and I've tried two different adaptors. Nada. I can't get to the menu on the camera to format it there.

I can't re-format it on my Mac either, it says it is un-writable.

This is the second time in a few weeks that this has happened and I'm beginning to fear that something is going wrong in the camera :(

I did change the name of some of the files on the card, by mistake, rather than downloading them and then renaming them. But I would have thought that a Format would have sorted that out. I did a proper Format not just the quickie.

The card is 64G, I've had it a few years and it is branded Wellendorf.

Anyone have any bright ideas for rescuing it or do I have to go shopping again? (I do have a spare card, I've not tried it yet).
oddly I found the onboard pc disk management tool much better for addressing card issues. What pc os are you using? Also there are different cards for different applications, dash cam burnt our cards out and raising issue with manufacturer they pointed us to the correct card! what brand are you using?

Dealing with a corrupted SD card can be a pain, but there are a few steps you can try to fix a corrupted SD card:
Check the Card Reader: Sometimes, the issue isn't with the card itself but with the card reader. Try inserting the SD card into a different card reader or using an external USB card reader.
Run CHKDSK (Windows) or Disk Utility (Mac): Connect the SD card to your computer and run a disk checking tool. On Windows, it's CHKDSK, and on Mac, it's Disk Utility. These tools can sometimes repair minor file system errors.
Use Data Recovery Software: If the data on the card is important, you can try using data recovery software. These programs can often retrieve files from a corrupted SD card even if it's not working perfectly.
Format the Card (as a Last Resort): If all else fails, you might need to format the corrupted SD card to make it usable again. Keep in mind that this will erase all data on the card, so only use it as a last resort.
If it has failed once, it will more than likely fail again. Buy a new one and see the previous post by Selectortone.

It's already binned and a replacement ordered, Peter. As you imply, it's not worth the candle, and anyway, I can't get as far as the menu to Reformat, it just says there is an error and that's that.

I do have a spare card, it's a SanDisk. I've noticed that it is a LOT slower to react to instructions.

I mean that when I operate the camera via the App, it works fine, but when I press the Stop icon on the App, the Record light and the Writing To Disk icons don't go out for AGES. I've not timed it but I bet it's getting on for 30 seconds. Yes really. The old card took only a couple of seconds. It's very frustrating when all I want to do is to stop and take the scene again (which happens far too often...).

Unfortunately the replacement I've ordered is also a SanDisk. If I'd found this out before ordering I'd have tried another brand.

Actually Peter, I'd like to have a chat with you. May I give you a call sometime soon? Maybe over the weekend? If that's alright with you, can you PM me your phone number please and a convenient time. No problem if you'd rather not, of course.
I too found them painfully slow! Check with camera manufacturer for compatable cards.

I have two cameras, a Lumix G1 for stills and a Lumix G7 for video. I have a number of SD cards and they get used in both cameras.

Yesterday both cameras were complaining about one of the SD cards. The G7 says it is write protected (it isn't) and the G1 says it has a Parameter Error, whatever one of those is.

I re-formatted it on a PC but to no avail. The card is a microSd in an adaptor and I've tried two different adaptors. Nada. I can't get to the menu on the camera to format it there.

I can't re-format it on my Mac either, it says it is un-writable.

This is the second time in a few weeks that this has happened and I'm beginning to fear that something is going wrong in the camera :(

I did change the name of some of the files on the card, by mistake, rather than downloading them and then renaming them. But I would have thought that a Format would have sorted that out. I did a proper Format not just the quickie.

The card is 64G, I've had it a few years and it is branded Wellendorf.

Anyone have any bright ideas for rescuing it or do I have to go shopping again? (I do have a spare card, I've not tried it yet).
Connect card to PC. Right click on this PC and click manage . Click on storage and see if your card is showing as raw file system . If so it can be recovered by format software . Someone here will know more ghan I do

Back