Memory Card Full

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking pictures with my Panasonic G1. It says "Memory Card Full". Fair enough, I thought, so I have deleted a couple of directories, about 2/3 of the contents of the card. But it still says that the card is full. I do have another card, which appears to work fine, so I don't think it can be a camera fault. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do?
Thanks
Steve

Try re-formatting the card.
You will lose the contents if you re-format so make sure you happy to lose the images.

Brian

Open on your computer with a card reader delete all the contents and then empty trash before ejecting the card. No need to reformat.

Reformatting takes all of 20 seconds - so why not? Quicker, easier and surer than faffing around deleting stuff.

Copy off photos and reformat :)

Hi Steve

Never reformat your card in the computer always do it in the camera, it the camera that need to wright the files to the card so its own format is the best one to run.

Its best to format your cards every time you copy your pictures and reinsert the card in your camera.

Pete

Thanks Pete
I don't think I've ever formatted it since starting to use it. But I'm not really a photographer, I just take woody snaps of my projects.

How are your muscles? :)

Steve

My muscles are fine, I do go to the gym 3 time a week so it wasn't to bad, Sam hands are a bit sore that's what you get for only pushing a pen around all day! :wink: :D

Pete

RogerP":242ystq1 said:
Reformatting takes all of 20 seconds - so why not? Quicker, easier and surer than faffing around deleting stuff.

After you have downloaded whatever you want to keep you delete it all, which tales about 1 second and empty the trash which takes about 3.

Jacob":1b9n2eip said:
RogerP":1b9n2eip said:

After you have downloaded whatever you want to keep you delete it all, which tales about 1 second and empty the trash which takes about 3.
Deletion only marks the relevant filename entry(s) in the Directory Table as "killed" but does not necessarily flush the filename nor the File Allocation Table entries.
When you write new files onto the card the old entries will be over-written but there is no check for corruption of DT or FAT

But formatting re-creates the file system ensuring that there is no corruption of the FAT or the DT.
It is the safest method.

Apparently there's a large number of fake S.D. cards about (As well as other storage devices) which do not have the claimed amount of space on them. If Jacob's solution worked then obviously Steve's isn't a fake, but I just thought I'd mention it! No, I haven't been caught... Yet! 8)

Jacobs suggestion isn't the best advise, format in the camera is.

Steve seems to have been using the card with out any problems so its unlikely to be fake.

Pete

Back