Secret Santa 2018 Pictures here, please (page nine start).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think as someone else said it is good to get the draw done sooner to give people a chance to research the recipient better. Seems good to me. So -
LAST ENTRIES 31/10 - This gives a few weeks to enter and a month or so for people who wish to research and/or make their gift to do so. Anyone who joins in after that can PM me and NOT post they've done so and I'll see how it goes.

The price of 2 way shipping keeps me out of this ( :shock: ) but I thought it was a SECRET santa, both ways? Isnt the idea to not know who its going to as well as who it came from?

sunnybob":tkuubsnj said:
I thought it was a SECRET santa, both ways? Isnt the idea to not know who its going to as well as who it came from?
No. Only the Santa is secret.
By (potentially) knowing who you're sending a gift to, you can get them something more personal. Usually it's done in an office, where people generally know each other fairly well.

But in order to keep the recipients and senders both annonymous, you'd have to send all gifts to a central distribution point, which would be expensive for the organiser who then has to post them all over the shot. It works in a local office, as you just put them all in a pile together.
I suggested omitting usernames when the list goes out, but that still means more work on the organiser.

That would be rather difficult without a middle man. :D Does the fact that you know who you sent yours to make any significant difference? In fact not knowing could be a downside as you'd have no idea of talents and interests of the recipient.

Very few. :D
1/ Just give something you would be pleased to receive, something you've made or refurbished (in the case of tools) is good, but not essential - it you're unsure of your abilities or desperately short of time you can buy something you think will be of use to the recipient, whose interests HOPEFULLY will be in their profile (which you can see by clicking on the user name or avatar).
2/ Get it in the post by about 10/12.
3/ Post pictures of your gift on or soon after xmas day.
4/ That's all for now, folks.

Oh, and incidentally - the organiser is not personally responsible for non arrivals - you'll have to sort that out yourselves (I believe it has happened in the past). It might be worth keeping a receipt or proof of posting.

For just the same reason as sunnybob (Swiss postage charges are horrendous), I'm not in. But a great idea, watching with interest.

phil.p":3srpkg5y said:
I've not really paid much attention to the purchased stuff - can someone who's been in it longer than me give Mrs. C. an estimate, please?

I think, like hand made stuff, it comes down to what you think your recipient might like based on the type of posts they make (and trying to infer some insight!).

Over the years I’ve had all sorts - one year I was super blown away as I got a Henry Taylor decorating elf tool, spare burrs, coving tool, point tool and brush set. A pretty penny I assure you if you’re not a turner but that was probably 5 to 10 times my expectation. I guess most here are at least 7/10 on the enthusiast scale (else we wouldn’t be on here) so I’d suggest 1 really nice item rather than 2 or 3 budget type items.

So, you asked for a value. It is tough as everyone is different and we all have budgets and I would not like anyone to feel ‘priced out’ so any gift is a great one if it is thought though but I suspect most folks making times will put at least 2 or 3 hours into it, many more for some I’m sure and parts / materials are on top so I’d think something around the £15 - £20 might be in the ball park (but see earlier caveats, Xmas = giving, not receiving and we all should take part so a well chosen cheaper gift that shows thought is probably better than an ill chosen expensive one).

My 2c anyway - Does that help?

Simon

shows how desperate Ted is these days - can't even include the link lol

emarketing8785":2dxnis05 said:
it a great post , here is the a free e-book about Learning woodworking it's not that complex-woodworking projects-woodworking plans

are you the same person on flickr by any chance named 'cool woodworking'?

Back