Saving fuel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right ho!
I still think there's an important distinction in that most forms of pollution are a side product of a process and many can be cleaned and reduced.
But CO2 can't be cleaned or reduced from the processes which generate it, except by halting the processes.
CO2 can be captured and can be chemically combined so that it is not a gas.

CO2 can be captured and can be chemically combined so that it is not a gas.
In theory but not in practice, nor ever likely to be possible on the scale needed.
So far the only viable way is to grow trees, peat bogs etc. Too slow.

In theory but not in practice, nor ever likely to be possible on the scale needed.
So far the only viable way is to grow trees, peat bogs etc. Too slow.
True. Its not economic yet so can not be relied on to deal with CO2.

Very surprised that I think only Spectric has mentioned tyre pressures, and servicing. Both have a big impact on fuel economy. As for cost if you have a real gas guzzler then you could look at an LPG conversion. I have a 1994 Jeep 4 litre. Converted to LPG the mpg is unaltered at about 20, but much lower emmissions and it only costs 80p/litre. Conversion is not cheap, probably around 2k if you have it done for you, half that if you do it yourself. Quite straightforward if you know what you are doing, but you would then need someone to certify that it is safe and complies with the various regs. Not a legal requirement bizarrely, but your insurance company may insist on it. Soon get your money back on a vehicle like this from the savings on fuel cost. Availability may be an issue in some places, but you can download an app which tells you where all the stations are, and the latest price.

They don't work on a big enough scale to affect climate change, nor ever likely to.
Not least because in theory we have to recapture the CO2 released over the last 200 years - much of which is dissolved in the oceans and causing massive environmental damage there, separately from climate change.
The sea has been our best CO2 scrubber so far but even though it covers half the area of the globe it can't cope with current rates of production, which is a measure of the scale of the problem.

Last edited:
I am sure they could be developed to work on a much bigger scale, who would have thought thirty years ago how many wind turbines would be on our once pleasant land and sea, most not working.

Back