Saving fuel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Been a fair talk about reducing electricity but what about fuel for the car. I have run our 2 litre diesel on supermarket fuel for a while and the stated MPG was around 34, now been using garages like Esso and Bp for a period of time and the stated MPG is 38 so just coincidence or what. I know supermarket diesel lacks certain additives but never would have thought it effects MPG because the engine management system cannot tell what fuel you are using, maybe if cylinder pressures were monitored then it could notice a difference but they are not. So to save fuel maybe running more non supermarket fuel could help, but really needs a more scientific approach so the drive cycles are more comparable and the savings may only occur on longer runs.

Our nearest petrol station is an Esso one, with a shell almost opposite Tesco another mile away. The Esso one is invariably cheaper than the Shell one, and for the last couple of years either equal to or less than Tesco.

But what are the usable miles per £. If you make a special journey to the ESSO etc station those miles do mot count towards the improved mpg.

On the open road though I drive reasonably briskly, I aim to use the brakes as seldom as possible. I see tons of drivers who seem to brake all the time, accelerator, brake, accelerator, brake, and it's not just the press ahead Charlies either. Gives the impression that they're wrapped up in their own brains and not overly conscious of the larger world ....

wife just messaged me whilst shopping ....
the cheapest fuel station in town is selling Diesel at 2,18euro's per liter......ouch....
when veggie oil is on offer I have no qualms about going 60/40....

I remember some muppet buying a pallet load of veg oil about 10 - 12 years ago from a supermarket. Photo was front page news, I think in the mirror. He said it was for his car. Price of veg oil increased rapidly, and quickly after that to discourage others, like the day after.
On the mpg point the branded fuel has a better cetane rating so the engine produces the same power but at less revs, and that's where the mpg saving comes from. Except for those who believe you should either be on the accelerator or brake.

I can remember the days of using veg oil, for me it was 50% and only in the summer months, car had a Bosch injection pump that was ok unlike the ones fitted with Lucas CAV that did not like it unless it was warmed first. There were even conversions and two tank systems around where you started on diesel and then switched to veg. I can remember some having the copper pipe loops around the exhaust to warm the fuel and others had a more elaborate system of a small alloy canister fitted with a glow plug and a module to control. All history now because there is no way a common rail diesel will accept the veg oil, the piezo injectors are far to delicate compared to the big old spring injectors used in them days.

I think that news article was in Wales.

This is up there with sharpening, research 'hypermiling'. Most of my miles are on the same route to and from the office. On a route you know well you can drastically improve your MPG.

Route tis mostly 30/40 zones around the periphery of the town, with T-lights and roundabouts. Route is 6.5miles, gaining 20m of elevation across the route and gaining 84m of elevation at the highest point. Roughly I go up the hill then down the hill.

If I drive to work without thinking (still pretty smoothly) I get 48-52 MPG depending on traffic, and 50-54 MPG on the way home, 1.0l three cylinder engine, with claimed 65MPG at time of sale. My current records are 66.1MPG to work and 74.7MPG home from work. The techniques that for me make the most difference are, low acceleration (need to be careful not to p'off drivers behind), anticipation (if I use the brakes I am disappointed), minimising slowing down (cruising into t'lights and roundabouts at 15-20mph, rather than coming to a stop), using downhills to accelerate (only use accelerator to 25mph, then into neutral and cruise up to 40mph, back into gear if required to engine brake), taking corners at speed (if it's safe to do so, you can give other drivers the willies as you dive past them on the inside of a tight dual lane corner).

Overall I've been amazed that I can get 30+% more MPG this way. It is much harder to do on unfamiliar routes, eg you don't know there is a roundabout or t'lights around the corner so there is no point accelerating beyond 25mph off the last junction.

Fitz

The techniques that for me make the most difference are, low acceleration (need to be careful not to p'off drivers behind), anticipation (if I use the brakes I am disappointed), minimising slowing down (cruising into t'lights and roundabouts at 15-20mph, rather than coming to a stop), using downhills to accelerate (only use accelerator to 25mph, then into neutral and cruise up to 40mph, back into gear if required to engine brake), taking corners at speed (if it's safe to do so, you can give other drivers the willies as you dive past them on the inside of a tight dual lane corner).

Fitz
I'm a bit similar with the addition of getting it into 6th at 30mph (on flat roads).

Yes, just don't accelerate too hard and keep an even speed. I find Cruise Control very useful on Motorways and the like.

I've just bought a 3-year-old diesel Skoda Octavia automatic (not my 1st choice!). However much to my surprise, to work, 25 miles on a mixture of lanes, main road and dual carriage way, I'm getting nearer 60mpg than 55 and on a long trip in Eire (admittedly mostly at their ridiculous 100kph on excellent dual carriageway, it was 62mpg!

Phil

Ride a push bike, it's free.
Getting beaned by the snowplow doing 100K clearing the shoulder doesn't appeal to me a lot. I do know a guy that does ride his bike in the city down to -25C 🥶 but he grew up here and might have frozen a few brain cells along the way.🤪

My milage is better in the summer because in the winter the studded snows on steel rims are heavier than the aluminium rims the summer tires are on. I also have at least a 100kg of cement blocks in the back of the truck for traction. I use the cruise control as much as I can. I can buy at least 3 tanks of gas for the cost of a speeding ticket. 😉

Pete

Inspector, just weigh the wheels to compare weight.....
I've done it on a few differnt makes of car....Without tyres....u may be suprised at the difference....
the steels being lighter....

I'm going to make the switch in the next week or two and will put them on a scale but the fact remains the milage is better in the winter. 11 or 12 litres per hundred kilometres in the summer verses 13 or 14 litres per hundred kilometres in the winter. I won't be peeling the tires off the rims to weigh them separately. Costs too much for the tire shop to do that.

Pete

I used to run a series 3 landy on vegetable oil, it made no difference 😆

In terms of mpg, ive never once bothered, just accepted that i have to pay for it. Probably the worst i had was a 3ltr manual pajero swb soft top, an awesome truck, could wheelspin up through the gears. It cost 75 quid to get from kingsbridge ( south devon ) up to hereford.... on the way back i had fun and it cost about 85 quid 🤣😆

Ride a push bike, it's free.
Only if you are given one or steal one. :)

In terms of mpg, ive never once bothered, just accepted that i have to pay for it.
But if you monitor your mpg it can alert you to any problems. Don't need to in modern cars because they do it for you but for years I carried a pen, notebook & calculator in the glovebox to work out the mpg.

My annual mileage is relatively modest and most of the journeys get the engine nice and warm. I seldom drive short distances in the car, better to walk or cycle. Generally, I waft around without planting the accelerator or slamming on the brakes - there's seldom a need to do either.

I could change the car and get something more frugal, but it would cost a packet to change and take ages to recoup the expenditure. Unless I bought something largely depreciated, I'd probably be saddled with a larger depreciation rate than I currently endure.

What I have has plenty of load carrying space, all the toys that I want and enjoy, and is more than powerful and quick enough. I average about 43 MPG and try not to worry about the cost too much. Not too bad for a three-litre diesel automatic.

Been a fair talk about reducing electricity but what about fuel for the car. I have run our 2 litre diesel on supermarket fuel for a while and the stated MPG was around 34, now been using garages like Esso and Bp for a period of time and the stated MPG is 38 so just coincidence or what. I know supermarket diesel lacks certain additives but never would have thought it effects MPG because the engine management system cannot tell what fuel you are using, maybe if cylinder pressures were monitored then it could notice a difference but they are not. So to save fuel maybe running more non supermarket fuel could help, but really needs a more scientific approach so the drive cycles are more comparable and the savings may only occur on longer runs.
I started using Shell and my MPG now is an extra 3-4 mpg, definitely makes a difference and the car is smoother as well.

This is probably an unnecessary comment for people on here but remember to change your air filter, pumping losses add up

Back