Safety - What goggles, ear defenders and face mask?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am having a look at buying the above ready for when I can start working in my workshop, which will mostly be working with wood.

I have heard the Peltor Optime III is pretty good as ear defenders so is it worth me buying them or do you recommend any other instead?

Also I need a combined facemask / goggles or seperate if thats what you think, so what do you recommend?

I would be using the workshop a few times a week and for a few hours each time so am not looking to spend hundreds but would rather have something suitable but not disposables as I may aswell buy something more permenant as it will be cheaper in the long term.

any help id appreciate.

thanks

Colin

I got what seems to be a decent mask from screwfix. It's very comfortable indeed. My wife now has one too. I didnt think the replacement filters were all that bad price wise either. It's a GVS Elipse Half Mask Respirator P3. It does NOT steam up my safety specs!

Peltor are very good ear defenders. Worth the money. I use them for shooting and for machinery.

Do you need goggles, or would safety glasses do? Bolle are decent and comfortable. It's nice to have replaceable nose pieces and lenses etc. Not too expensive really.

I had a combination specs/facemask set from screwfix originally, JSP maybe it was called. It was awful. Specs steaming up constantly and poorly fitted mask. Wasn't even that cheap.

thanks mate, I mean safety glasses I thought goggles and safety glasses were the same thing LOL

How often should you or do you have to change the filters?

Will look into your suggestions thanks

I run hot so I prefer lightweight super clear glasses. They're so lightweight that I don't need to take them off at all, so it means they're permanently on when I'm in the workshop.

As for mask, I use a trend air ace. It's a bit bulky, but it's a good fit and has great filtration.

I have been considering an RZ mask though, for the same reason as the glasses - if its really comfortable to wear, I'd keep it on more often

Filters are usually marked for hours of use. I tend to change mine every month or two, as I'm not in the workshop very often lately

technium":1tgx7aid said:
thanks mate, I mean safety glasses I thought goggles and safety glasses were the same thing LOL

How often should you or do you have to change the filters?

Will look into your suggestions thanks

I really think that depends on the filters, the task in hand, the period of use and lord knows what else. I haven't looked into it yet but I dont wear a mask constantly, even if i should.

There will be an industry standard procedure for it, you can be sure of that. I'd guess the biggest enemy for infrequent users would be mould spores.

I really should get an air fed mask, but I just have too much going on to even look into it.

thanks guys.

Ive just had a look at the Trend with looks abit bulky, does it feel heavy when wearing it?

matt you mention the super light weight glasses, are they the Uvex Super G ones that look like normal glasses?

Ive checked out the Elipse ones Martin mentioned which doesnt look too bad although still bulky but maybe all are like that. Ideally I dont want to feel all sweaty when wearing the mask, how do you both find them in that respect?

thanks

Colin

Thanks Matt, Ive had another look and the Trend has the option of a visor aswell but I suppose its cheaper to just have the mask and the glasses you mention (thanks for the link)

LOL good thinking, I suppose with the lathe going I could end up like a hamster in a sawdust bed hehe

I have purchased the glasses you mentioned and the Peltor ear defenders and looking at the reviews I think I will go with the trend as the reviews seem slightly better on that one although it is abit more in price.

thanks Matt and Martin for your suggestions and advice.

Colin

Using the Bolle Silium+ safety glasses, except when using power tools and then I use a full goggle (Uvex 9302-285s) because the dust flies everywhere in the back yard, and a 3M 6000 mask if using a router (with the formaldehyde filters for working with MDF). And I've been using Peltor Optime IIIs for a bit over 20 years for shooting now - and if they'll work for pistols, rifles and shotguns, they'll work for power tools as well (though I wouldn't trust the active noise cancellation ones unless you're paying a lot for brand new ones - the attack time on the negative feedback has to be astonishingly short or you get the awful result of a very short spike of noise that's actually too short to register for your sense of hearing (you literally never hear it) but which is utterly long enough to damage your hearing permanently - not so much a problem with power tools, but for shooting it was an embuggerment). I tend to stick with good passive ear defenders just in case.

Having a beard ( or an excuse for one) most respirators will not seal around my face, so I use the Trend Airshield Pro: https://www.trenddirectuk.com/air-pro-a ... hr-battery with the addition of the ear defenders I find it very good, the flow of air down the front of the face is very refreshing and prevents the feeling of claustrophobia that you can get with other respirators, the eight hour battery life is a minimum, I don't tend to work for eight hours straight and it will last all day without a problem.

Mike

I use the Bolle over spectacle type goggles. Revelation for me being able to see properly helps lol. My eyesight's not terrible but it's a definite bonus.
Another vote for trend air ace. Your breath is directed down away from goggles/specs. I borrowed my ear defenders from work when the gave me some. Not much use in my game.No idea what they are. Keep meaning to look into the earplug type.

thanks guys.

Ive ordered all three now, so will see how they feel especially the trend when they arrive. Wife says im not allowed in the workshop until I get the PPE side of things sorted.

Colin

Well, the Uvex goggles paid for themselves today, I was making an awkward (and probably stupid) cut on a piece of OSB sheeting that was attached to a stud and managed to get enough kickback off a trimming that it flew back and bounced off the goggles. Which was not something I thought could happen with a jigsaw, but it's always the things you don't expect that get you I suppose. Damn sight cheaper to have bought the goggles than to be buying a new eyeball...

Latest posts

Back