Ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be happy to sit corrected if an expert comes on and says otherwise. I do know that if I put in foam ear plugs rated at 20Db I get a 20Db reduction of noise. If I wear ear protectors rated at 31Db I get a reduction of 31DB. If I use both at the same time I will only get a reduction of 36Db not 51DB as some think. So even if you get a few decibels of reduction with the ear buds you are adding more noise than removing thus reducing the protection you have on.

Hear is a little more information I found.
https://www.thenoisechap.com/hearing-protection-advice/music-headphones-under-hearing-protectionhttps://www.thenoisechap.com/hearing-protection-advice/headphones-as-hearing-protection
Pete
yeah dunno... I'm not an expert either
I read that first article, it was misleading in places IMO, which they kinda admitted, because they almost / sorta fell into the trap of saying that adding 15db on top of 'background' noise was the same as taking 15db off 90db noise. As far as I understand it, because it's a log scale that 15db is not the same in both cases and hence that's not a valid way to add and subtract the various contributors. And I'm open to being corrected on that.

So I don't think we know enough to be able to make this statement: "So even if you get a few decibels of reduction with the ear buds you are adding more noise than removing thus reducing the protection you have on"
because I dont think we know how much earbuds isolate at the 85db+ range and I dont think we know how much music typically adds at that 85db+ range (I wouldnt expect it to be anywhere near 15db because that 15db is what is quoted as adding at the background noise range)

:)

Martin

As you prefer but when it comes to my health I'll err on the side of caution until I know otherwise. 😉 I have a few past work friends that are wearing hearing aids and having some loss now I don't want to subtract more from it. Muffs on no music, no big deal.

Pete

I've recently had to give in and get hearing aids (cost exactly 10 times what my first Morris Traveller cost me in 1962!) so am now hearing all the insults hurled at me. But also noticed while sawing up logs this afternoon that my Stihl mains chainsaw is actually a lot more noisy than I had realised. I had been wearing an old Oregon helmet which has lost its ear defenders when using the electric saws, so rather than going and getting my "proper" helmet, just took out the hearing aids.
Question. Given my present hearing loss, does further exposure to loud noises without ear protectors still do damage? Or is it safe just to take out the aids?

Apart from the isotunes, are there any other in-ear ear defenders with Bluetooth?
Not cheap, but I have a pair of these that are excellent. Bought for use on the motorbike, but I also use them in the workshop:
CF RIDE
They do other variations if being slim enough to fit under a motorbike helmet isn't a concern!
They come to your house, take an impression of your ears, then produce them to fit. Proper hearing protection, with audio, without the bulk.

Not cheap, but I have a pair of these that are excellent. Bought for use on the motorbike, but I also use them in the workshop:
CF RIDE
They do other variations if being slim enough to fit under a motorbike helmet isn't a concern!
They come to your house, take an impression of your ears, then produce them to fit. Proper hearing protection, with audio, without the bulk.
I wish I had some (any!) ear protection all those years on the motorbike!
However, this seems to be a really good solution, even if a bit expensive (double what isotunes cost) and without the option for a home appointment (I live in NI). Thank you for letting me know!

I wish I had some (any!) ear protection all those years on the motorbike!
However, this seems to be a really good solution, even if a bit expensive (double what isotunes cost) and without the option for a home appointment (I live in NI). Thank you for letting me know!
Yeah, the amount of bikers I know who've got dodgy hearing (or none at all!) after a few decades of riding without any protection is the reason I've always had proper ones from the start!

Yeah, the amount of bikers I know who've got dodgy hearing (or none at all!) after a few decades of riding without any protection is the reason I've always had proper ones from the start!
Which are the proper ones? Any specific models?

Which are the proper ones? Any specific models?
For bike riding or just for the workshop?
For bike riding you need something that is proper noise protection and is flush enough to go under a helmet without putting pressure on your ears and, for me at least, has audio built in - so that the audio is inside the protection, not on the outside (like a speaker in the helmet that some people use).

For me that's the CF Ride model from Custom Fit Guards: Collections

For the workshop it depends if you want audio, in ear or over ear.

In ear: There's ISOtunes ISOtunes® | Bluetooth Hearing Protection | Wireless Ear Defenders if your ears are normal (mine are not!) or the above Custom Fit Guards if you want audio that is moulded to your ear shape - they come and take a mould at your house (for UK people).
Over ear: ISOtunes do over ear that also has audio. If audio isn't important then there are tons of options from any hardware shop.

The most important thing, especially if you want audio, is that the earplugs are actually properly protective (have a SNR rating etc.) and are not just standard audio earphones. Normal audio earphones that you get with your phone etc. do not protect your hearing. In fact, they probably make it worse since you have to turn them up loud to drown out the noise of your machines.

i use "3M Peltor Optime III", not too pricey £25ish and are comfy to wear, only issue is head band on mine is not adjustable, could do with just a bit..... but might just be my big head...

I used to use some £10 screwfix ones - they worked fine but were a nuisance to wear with safety glasses.

I recently got some isotunes Xtra 2.0. Link. Really pleased with them, would buy again if they broke!
I have these - also really pleased with them. +1 from me.

Apart from the isotunes, are there any other in-ear ear defenders with Bluetooth? Or should I just use my airpods pro? 😁

By the way, as over ear protection I have the yellow peltor from 3M. I would never use them at the range, but they’re great for the workshop as they’re so light.
Stihl do some Bluetooth ones, I bought a pair recently and very happy so far, £75 delivered.
This video helped persuade me I think

For bike riding or just for the workshop?
For bike riding you need something that is proper noise protection and is flush enough to go under a helmet without putting pressure on your ears and, for me at least, has audio built in - so that the audio is inside the protection, not on the outside (like a speaker in the helmet that some people use).

For me that's the CF Ride model from Custom Fit Guards: Collections

For the workshop it depends if you want audio, in ear or over ear.

In ear: There's ISOtunes ISOtunes® | Bluetooth Hearing Protection | Wireless Ear Defenders if your ears are normal (mine are not!) or the above Custom Fit Guards if you want audio that is moulded to your ear shape - they come and take a mould at your house (for UK people).
Over ear: ISOtunes do over ear that also has audio. If audio isn't important then there are tons of options from any hardware shop.

The most important thing, especially if you want audio, is that the earplugs are actually properly protective (have a SNR rating etc.) and are not just standard audio earphones. Normal audio earphones that you get with your phone etc. do not protect your hearing. In fact, they probably make it worse since you have to turn them up loud to drown out the noise of your machines.
Thanks a lot! I need them mostly for the workshop as I really noticed that my hearing became worse over past two years. The results of my online hearing test are actually not too bad, still don't know how accurate are those are. Anyone can say something about it?

Last edited:
Ask for a referral to the local hospital audiology dept. They can give you a calibrated hearing test that you can rely on.

I have constant tinnitus.
For some people, it comes about because of hearing loss and hearing aids can fully or partially cure it.
My test at audiology surprised me because my hearing turns out to be slightly better than normal for my age, except at 8kHz where the tinnitus inside my head drowns out the test tone until it gets quite loud. There's no treatment for me but having reliable facts and good advice helps in living with it.

Back