Ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Recommend me some, not too dear, ear defenders to combat my very noisy dust extractor please.

I've built a sound box today out of 18mm OSB board and lined the inside with 25mm insulation board and cut a circle for the suction pipe. It's reduced a lot of the noise but not the ear splitting whine. . Where I am, I'm not in a situation where I can put it outside so I guess the only option is to wear ear defenders.

Appreciate any help or advice thanks.

Recommend me some, not too dear, ear defenders to combat my very noisy dust extractor please.

I've built a sound box today out of 18mm OSB board and lined the inside with 25mm insulation board and cut a circle for the suction pipe. It's reduced a lot of the noise but not the ear splitting whine. . Where I am, I'm not in a situation where I can put it outside so I guess the only option is to wear ear defenders.

Appreciate any help or advice thanks.
I used to use some £10 screwfix ones - they worked fine but were a nuisance to wear with safety glasses.

I recently got some isotunes Xtra 2.0. Link. Really pleased with them, would buy again if they broke!

I use Ex Army ones.
They are better than the screwfix ones I have owned.
Most Army Surplus stores sell them for under £10.

I use the isotunes ones and happy to wear them for long periods. However, these with a respirator, spectacles, a bandana and a pencil shoved behind the ear, I'm a bit top heavy. I wonder if foam earplugs might be easier.

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated, I tried some fairly good quality foam buds but found they didn't help much.

I wear and have been wearing Peltor Optime 105 or the predecessors for a couple dozen years. They have always been over the head type but I'd like to get a behind the head version for use with face shields and respirators. Good protection isn't cheap but cost a lot less than hearing aids. Next time you are sitting in a jet waiting to be pushed back from the terminal look at what the ramp workers are wearing. You'll see a lot wearing the Peltors.
https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Peltor-Opt...wicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-9https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Peltor-Beh...wicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-8
Pete

The foam ear plugs are usually very effective if they are put in using the right technique. Apologies if this comes across patronising. You would be amazed the difference it makes.

Attachments

• E6E5A1C4-9CDF-4353-A386-BCC56F4205E6.jpeg
    E6E5A1C4-9CDF-4353-A386-BCC56F4205E6.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 0
I use 3M defenders, around £15 to £20.
Comfort, even with glasses, takes out loudness, but allows lower pitch voice to be heard reasonably.

Peletor are the ones most people use because they work and are comfy, price shouldn't come in to it. Hearing aids are very expensive.

I have some generic yellow ones, and a pair of prohear 037 Bluetooth ones. Ive got the prohear ones linked to my phone for music, which is perfect.
My brother has sets of stihl defenders with microphones and built in walkie talkie features as well as Bluetooth, but his were over 300 quid a pair 😳

peltor optime III are the ones I use, been using them years now, they are great.
Most good quality ear defenders are rated for specific noise levels and the packaging is marked accordingly. Establish the noise level in your work space and get the appropriate defenders. Stay away from el cheapo's, false economy when you may need to buy hearing aides later in life.

I have been looking at this lately. But I like to listen to audiobooks when in the workshop, however I don't like wearing anything over my ears except when I need to, so I ended up having to pause the audiobook every time I used anything noisy as I put the ear defenders on. So I have ended up using a bluetooth streaming device to listen on but I also bluetooth pair some Bose noise cancelling headphones I already had as well, Android allows you to stream to mutiple devices. Then I can just slip the headphones on when doing something noisy and carry on listening. They are not EN certified or anything but do a very good job at stopping the damaging/annoying noise and let me continue listening to my book uninterrupted.

Not sure this helps an awful lot with the original question, but may help with a purchasing strategy.

I use the same ones I use for shooting - Amazon had some kind of system glitch a few years back and they were selling them at around 90% off; they fixed it a few hours later but honoured my order for half a dozen at the bargain price.... :cool:

I have the peltor also, no issues with them at all, use them everyday, very comfy.
£36 from Screwfix but I've just seen they are £22 on Amazon.

Martin

Back