Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaps

Some progress - below is the 1st quote,

costs_1.jpg

The last 2 entries - i.e. Rings 3 & 4, these don't represent anything for the majority, but are to allow for the use of Porter Cable bushes or similar and are due to the request from Jerome (SometimesWoodWorker)

AL - means Aluminium & M means Mild Steel.

Disc 1 - disc with no hole,
Ring 1 - 30mm hole
Ring 2 - 50 mm hole.

This makes an AL set come in at = 9.78 + 0.90 + 0.98 + 0.99 = 12.65 + VAT

And the Mild Steel set = 4.51 + 0.78 + 0.86 + 0.91 = 7.06 + VAT

Each set comprising of a plate, 1 disc & 2 rings. At some point I'll try to update the spreadsheet with what folk are likely to pay for their specifics.

On the subject of laser marking\etching - I know for a fact the MS plates will come marked\etched - but I believe the AL won't even tho the above blurb says so. In a conversation earlier the cutters stated that AL is very difficult to etch\mark due to the high reflectivity of its surface. I'll double check this.

The MS plates will have the corner holes centre marked (etched), as well as the 2 guide bush holes and will have 3 lines parallel to the long side so you have something to help when lining a fence up. (Someone suggested this). Sorry that the AL plates won't come etched, turns out the Aluminium just doesn't etch with a laser. With the Alu (or M\S) sets - I'm more than happy to print\email full size copies of the CAD work and post them out\email or whatever. Bit of spray adhesive and drill thru, ruler & Stanley knife and you'd get the fence lines.

Dibs

Sounds very cheap to me dibs i would like to be able to use porter cable or trend bushes so could i have the extra rings please
cheers

RussianRouter":asnn7tga said:
I must say,that the Ally plate works out cheap for an 8mm thickness. :wink:

Whats the disc for?

Can I have a set?

I think some folk wanted the ability to make a custom ring - that's what the disc is for. You drill out the hole to suit you. Yes you can have a set. What would you like - bearing in mind that you can mix & match, i.e. M\S plate with AL rings\disc if you want or other way round.

halken":asnn7tga said:
Sounds very cheap to me dibs i would like to be able to use porter cable or trend bushes so could i have the extra rings please
cheers

Now to clarify the position for the use of Porter Cable bushes - Jerome and I came up with the idea of using 2 rings. Ring 3 has a 35mm hole and a 110mm OD, but nothing stopping the bush from dropping out. Ring 4 with a hole of 32mm and OD of 88mm when placed underneath - solves this issue. As both are 3mm thick - the idea is to hold them together using countersunk machine screws. The bush isn't 3mm thick so it could be shimmed with paper or thereabouts. Jerome will probably take 3, 2 for me - leaving 5 as I only asked for 10 to be quoted. I'm happy to get more done if more folk wanted them.

I think having the shoulder cut in the plate is going to cost £2.50 taking the cost to

Al = £17.80 inc VAT
M\S = £11.23 in VAT

for the basic set. In both cases - even with postage we should be make to make our magic £20 or less per set.

Dibs

p.s. I should have my second quote next week and will look to get the ball rolling on this one reasonably quickly. Yeah I know in the past, quick has been snail's pace :oops: - but we are getting to the end of things.

Dibs-h":38irzeyi said:
RussianRouter":38irzeyi said:

Whats the disc for?

Can I have a set?

I think some folk wanted the ability to make a custom ring - that's what the disc is for. You drill out the hole to suit you. Yes you can have a set. What would you like - bearing in mind that you can mix & match, i.e. M\S plate with AL rings\disc if you want or other way round.

[

All Aluminium for me.

1xplate
2x rings 30and 50mm
1xdisc

I'd have prefered the plate 10mm thick.

RussianRouter":36g126oe said:
Dibs-h":36g126oe said:
RussianRouter":36g126oe said:

Whats the disc for?

Can I have a set?

[

All Aluminium for me.

1xplate
3x rings
1xdisc

I'd have prefered the plate 10mm thick.

We originally started with a blank slate so to speak and numerous posts later folk have settled on 6mm plate & 3mm Rings combo for Mild Steel and 8mm Plate & 3mm Rings for AL. 3mm rings in both cases so folk can interchange them.

I feel 8mm plate over what is essentially A4 size will be more than strong enough - especially when you think that the plastic ones out there aren't 8mm thick.

I'll alter the spreadsheet - adding you in.

Dibs

Dibs - brilliant; go for it.

I can't really see that we're going to save more than pennies if there is a better off - even if it's a quid, then my feeling is let's get on with it and let you get back to having a life !!

By the way I don't know if there's another version of the spreadsheet, but could you update your working one to include the 4 spare Al discs I asked for a couple of weeks ago.

Did you get a delivery time out of them too?

Cheers and very many thanks

Rob

RussianRouter":38u6a3wy said:
Yeah but,the plastic ones are not plastic,they're Phenebloc or whatever its proper nameis.

This material is very strong.

I understand your point George.

If you feel a 10mm plate would be better - make the suggestion and if folk are happy with that, I'm fine with that. Based on material costs alone the 10mm plate would be at least 25% more. Perhaps more by the time the additional laser cost has been factored in.

I think folk settled on the 8mm plate as it represented a relatively good point from a cost vs rigid perspective.

Dibs

ps. Can folk who are on the Spreadsheet send me a PM - confirming they are happy with the nbrs\details on the spreadsheet.

I'm going to use the following week to tidy stuff up - i.e. get the 2nd quote, but I don't think they'll beat these lot. Make sure everything is super confirmed and then look to proceed in the 1st\2nd week of July. Turnaround from the cutters is about 4 days. So all being well - I can put this to bed by July end.

Spreadsheet updated - George, I've put you down for the following,

Plate,
30mm Ring,
50mm Ring,
Disc.

in AL. A set is plate, 2 rings and 1 disc. The other Rings (i.e. 3 & 4) are to allowing the use of Router Guide bushes.

Oldwood - 4 spare discs? I'm reading that as 2 M\S plates, with 2 rings\Discs set (twice) plus 4 AL discs.

Would you like Fries with that? :lol: sorry couldn't resist.

Here's the link again,

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... McFE&hl=en

For those who have just confirmed - the details, I've put that in Column 1 in red.

Once costs have been finalised as well as numbers - I'm intending to ask folk for a deposit - say £5 for the M\S set and £10 for the AL set? Almost half so to speak. I'll be paying the rest to get the order processed and then once they are ready to dispatch we can sort out the rest.

Paypal - I don't have & won't link my bank account with Paypal, so any payments via Paypal would just sit in my Paypal account & then there's their fees. I'm happy to PM folk my sort code & account nbr as & when the time comes and BACS is dead easy.

Dibs

Dibs, you're a freakin legend for persisting with this.
Based on those prices, could I PLEASE update my order to 2 MS
plates with Al rings/discs? (2 MS plates, 2 Al discs, 2 30mm rings + 2 50mm rings)
Hope that's o.k.
I'd like to pay in full upfront mate. I don't want you putting yourself out financially on my behalf. Would that be O.K?
Do you want a payment for your time? (I'm guessing not cause you seem very generous).
If not, can I you give me the name of a charity I can make a donation to on your behalf?
Many many thanks.

Adam.

Dibs-h":el90syj4 said:
I understand your point George.

If you feel a 10mm plate would be better -

What I feel is 8mm is not strong enough to take the strain in Ally but that is debateable but I do know I'll be strengthening it with a piece of perspex undeneath.

RussianRouter":7b95gu89 said:
What I feel is 8mm is not strong enough to take the strain in Ally but that is debateable but I do know I'll be strengthening it with a piece of perspex undeneath.

The elastic modulus of perspex is ±2500 MPa, that of 1050 Al is ±70000 MPa.

Good luck "strengthening" your plate with perspex, might have to be a "little bit" thicker than the aluminium.... ! :lol:

Loz_S":hfxk7sp1 said:
The elastic modulus of perspex is ±2500 MPa, that of 1050 Al is ±70000 MPa.

Good luck "strengthening" your plate with perspex, might have to be a "little bit" thicker than the aluminium.... ! :lol:

What type of perspex are you calculating that on? :roll:

RussianRouter":3iyzi2l3 said:
What type of perspex are you calculating that on? :roll:
Standard cast Lucite Perspex - from the manufacturer's data sheet.

Dibs-h":143joep1 said:
You're obviously not looking hard enough! :wink:

I'm not keeping the summary sheet up to date anymore. All the info is on the Detail Worksheet.

Well unless you have me down as somebody else? I honestly can't seemy sig or name?

Yeah lets get the show on the road,been dragging on for some time now and members are dropping out like flies. ;)

Latest posts

Back