Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone referred to cheapo bits. Surely not the pressed metal bits that used to accompany most DIY store routers?

I use them for general grooving jobs, but I won't say they are my first bit out of the box!

I think this would be do-able with TCT cutters and a circle jig? Am I right?

Thanks
John :)

Hi Newbie to this site and from what Isee seems an excellant choice.

Been riveted to this thread and reading up on the insert plates for router tables.

In respect to Anodising an ally plate,many moons ago I dabbled in Electronics and making my own ally plates for the fronts of project cabinets.

If you where to submerge ally plate in Caustic soda for a few minutes it will anodise the plate and give it that shell like non scratch surface,the problem is I cannot for the life of me remember how long to submerge the ally in the CS? as ally will melt in caustic soda if left in there too long...however the anodising does work in caustic soda as thats what I used to do to protect the plate from being scratched.

My advice is to trial and error with small pieces off ally plate,mix 1 cup CS with 3 cups of water.

Ebay has a fine selection of router guide bushes at a cheap price,if its possible to post a link will a moderator please let me know if thats ok? thanks.

Hope to participate in the forum regular but for now need to browse the site and find my way round. :D

Best of health.
George

I'm still in ... if the project's still a goer. One steel plate with standard rings, can drill and tap myself.

Insert.jpg

There you go.

Thanks,Dave

That is one weird insert,is that a ridge around the router hole? and is your insert affixed to the top of the table instead of inlayed?

Sorry but I just don't like it at all.

Ok,I'm summizing that its the camera angle? eveything is flush...but...that opening on the guide fence looks awfully small in height and width for larger cutters that need to start off in a couple of passes.

Update:Finally out of slackpuss mode and updated the drawings.

- altered the length slightly so it is 306x229
- guide pin is now 6.3mm as opposed to something else,
- discs\rings are on there as well.

Router_plate3.jpg

Folks happy with the above? I'm 1/2 terming this week till Friday, when I'm back at work. Will be emailing several laser\water cutters on Friday based on nominal nbrs and should hopefully have something back for Mon\Tue next week.

There were folk that wanted a shoulder putting in a ring\disc - what dia hole should be in that ring? And the dia and depth of the shoulder? If this is a goer - then it would be 2 step thing - get this ring cut as per the rest (assuming it isn't just one or 2), then get the shoulder cut when the shoulder for the plate gets done.

Sorry for the slackness.

Dibs

studders":3ny85hic said:
Looks good to me though the 'shoulder in the ring' bit has confoosed me. What's it for? :duno:

Its also confussed me as well,looks like a ridge but it just might be the camera playing tricks?

RussianRouter":33qltfyy said:
studders":33qltfyy said:
Looks good to me though the 'shoulder in the ring' bit has confoosed me. What's it for? :duno:

Its also confussed me as well,looks like a ridge but it just might be the camera playing tricks?

Nah, I'm talking about the proposed Plates RR, not the one in the photos.

studders":mjhaqg4z said:
RussianRouter":mjhaqg4z said:
studders":mjhaqg4z said:

Nah, I'm talking about the proposed Plates RR, not the one in the photos.

The shoulder is in the plate so that a 3mm (or whatever the ring is) won't stand proud.

The only reason for mentioning whether some folk wanted a shoulder cutting in a ring is that they felt it would be good to use Porter Cable (or similar, perhaps Trend) bushes. So the question is really aimed at those folk - not the masses. Of course there's nothing stopping the masses having one if they want.

I'll remove the "dotted" ring from the drawing - as that refers to the shoulder - and send the drawings off tomorrow. I will ask what the extra cost might be for laser marking - can't see it being much, especially as we aren't asking them to cut anything.

Dibs

Dibs-h":3agwa31k said:
The shoulder is in the plate so that a 3mm (or whatever the ring is) won't stand proud.

Yup, got my head round that bit. (Ha ha ha, bit - Router Plate) Ahem.

Dibs-h":3agwa31k said:
The only reason for mentioning whether some folk wanted a shoulder cutting in a ring is that they felt it would be good to use Porter Cable (or similar, perhaps Trend) bushes.

Dibs

Ahhhhhh... the lightbulb has just gone live. :lol:

Dibs-h":22pjkcrx said:
... I will ask what the extra cost might be for laser marking - can't see it being much, especially as we aren't asking them to cut anything.

Dibs

Definitely like the idea of laser engraved markings. It would be a great addition if a super accurate centre line and maybe 20mm step markings (to help line up the fence) could be added.

The change in plate size is essential, I hadn't even noticed that it wasn't standard size. I don't want to have to cut another table top.

Thanks Dibs.

Dibs-h":j4w18cb7 said:
Update:Finally out of slackpuss mode and updated the drawings.

- altered the length slightly so it is 306x229
- guide pin is now 6.3mm as opposed to something else,
- discs\rings are on there as well.

Router_plate3.jpg

Folks happy with the above? I'm 1/2 terming this week till Friday, when I'm back at work. Will be emailing several laser\water cutters on Friday based on nominal nbrs and should hopefully have something back for Mon\Tue next week.

There were folk that wanted a shoulder putting in a ring\disc - what dia hole should be in that ring? And the dia and depth of the shoulder? If this is a goer - then it would be 2 step thing - get this ring cut as per the rest (assuming it isn't just one or 2), then get the shoulder cut when the shoulder for the plate gets done.

Sorry for the slackness.

Dibs

I would like the stepped ring in all three of my sets.
I dont have any bushes yet from the MLCS plate I have here are the details again
4695186562_30d16c2ce0_b.jpg

If any one has a standard bush they should chip in.

Back