Rabbit shaped knife block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just sat here reading this with tears in my eyes.

Not because I love rabbits, (but I do) but because I was laughing so much.

Great thread.

The cleaver in the head and the steak basher up the rear end did it for me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick

Well yesterday I got the button to work every time the cleavers pulled out. - i turned a little bit of brass that sits in the cleaver hole when its in the docked position. The button is mounted on a circuit board ( roughly 50 x 30 mm) lts pretty important this doesn't move but I can't think of anyway to secure it. There's no mounting screw holes or anything :geek: The way I would like to do it is just fill the rectangular hole I chopped out for the circuit board with epoxy or hard filler. Then when its sandwiched against the other layers it should say secure.

Does anyone know if smearing epoxy or hard filler all over the soldered ends of a circuit board might cause it to short out ? I'll be glad when the sections are all glue up. At the moment there's always a million pieces to move around every time I want to use my bench for proper work :evil: :roll:

Thanks in advance,
Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

MickCheese":33j6kqr5 said:
I have just sat here reading this with tears in my eyes.

Not because I love rabbits, (but I do) but because I was laughing so much.

Great thread.

The cleaver in the head and the steak basher up the rear end did it for me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick
Cheers mick ;) originally the voice for the rabbit was gonna be activated by pulling out the tail (thats why there's a slight dip in the handle near the end, to push a switch when it was pulled out ) I thought it best to not have it start talking when someone started interfering with its bumhole :lol:
When I first started trawling the internet for ideas and inspiration I couldn't believe some of the knife blocks I saw. One of them was a human head that had knives stabbed every where on it. Another one was a tiny little bright red body that had knives stabbed everywhere up its chest. The last version is for sale in tons of places so there must be other people with a strange sense of humour.
I've noticed on ebay (us) theres several carrot shaped salt and pepper pots. I reckon it might cost 20-25 quid time I pay to get them here though :|
Just noticed......the clocks have gone back, not to late to go booty !!!!

Cheers
Coley

The best way I can think of to activate the voice circuit is to implant a small magnet in the handle of the hammer and fit a reed switch in the body to switch the circuit.

Gerry

Hi Coley

Hot melt glue will hold the circuit board with out any problems.

Pete

Racers":267xo9sc said:
Hi Coley

Hot melt glue will hold the circuit board with out any problems.

Pete
+1

Or if you don't have a glue gun, any diy caulk/sealant.

Gerry":2mror52z said:
The best way I can think of to activate the voice circuit is to implant a small magnet in the handle of the hammer and fit a reed switch in the body to switch the circuit.

Gerry
I like that idea and it seems a great way to switch stuff without being to fiddly or dependant on small switches lining up exactly. I routed the hole for a 9 volt battery in the base and really think ive pushed my luck trying to squeeze everything in
ezu2e9at.jpg

I went abit heavy handed with a chisel and managed to poke through where the steak basher slides in. Hopefully once everythings glued up it won't be noticeable :|
Thats handy to know about the hot glue and the painters caulk. Is it only if something stays wet ( possibly silicone) that therefore might be issues ?
I've made another kitchen appliance, , hopingto build up some confidence again on the lathe. Im fairly pleased and the lathe didn't seem desperate to bite or spit things at me this time :)
ubeqazy5.jpg

Not sure what Ashley isles might have to say though :eek:

Coley

The Acetic acid in silicone might be a problem, as is getting a plane out without losing blood by the looks of your last photo!

Pete

Racers":20aosnly said:
The Acetic acid in silicone might be a problem, as is getting a plane out without losing blood by the looks of your last photo!

Pete
Its alright, I didn't use a honing guide on them so they're fairly blunt ;)

I finally pulled my finger out and got the middle section sorted.
8adejege.jpg

9ydapy5e.jpg

e6ezetug.jpg

I did a quick test to see if the microphone would pick up sound once the next layer was on then stuck the 3 middle bits together
ysyhedyh.jpg

I was relieved the next day after taking the clamps off - everything still seems to fit o.k. I sanded the back down then had to ease the tail a bit to get it fitting better.
I should have stopped then :( I wanted to push the job on so rather hastily started routing the detail on the front. I should have lubed up the router bed, instead I've ended up with a few shaky lines. I reckon ive routed the v groove on the front legs too deep so this is also bugging me.
ehutetag.jpg

If I could get another exact pair of scissors id try making more ear shaped handles, but if I try on this pair and balls it up ..... I could push it through the drum sander and start afresh but if its got oak ears the legs might not annoy me as much.

I'll see if my workmate can hold the scissors stable enough for me to try prying the handles off. If I wreck them I'll just have to try finding a matching pair. A quick Google image search hints that it'll be like searching for a needle in a haystack :evil:
Coley

That is without doubt the most mental thing I've ever seen on a woodworking forum.
I doubt I'll sleep properly tonight.
Love it.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, might be just what I need ;) I did the silly thing of smashing off the plastic handles thinking I'd make some wooden ears instead. Same day the salt and pepper pots arrived from the U.S
ybetasaj.jpg

Waited 2 weeks for it to turn up smashed, so felt proper pee'd off with it. Managed to find some replacements ( ebay refunded original ) so that's partially boosted my interest again. Might put pencil to paper tomorrow night and see if I can sort the ears out :|

Coley

After a long and boring day painting I managed to sneak in a hour or so this afternoon. I stack cut a couple bits of 6mm ply just to make a mock up and see if it was even salvageable
e7e8u8e2.jpg

5ydyturu.jpg

It's a very crude rough n ready mock up but I think it might work......
radyda8y.jpg

Things need slightly altering to get it to fit better to the head ( hopefully should fit without gaps :| ) but atleast now it doesn't seem such a daunting task ;)
Cheers
Coley

Hi Coley,, The wabbit looks fantastic, so much so that it appears to have taken on a personna of it own.
I think a name for the wabbit might spark some creative juice flow amongst some of us, Stanley is
my offering , hope there"s more.
,,,joe,,

Very entertaining thread - is it only me that has Talking Heads 'psycho killer' pop into my brain when I see the Rabbit ?
Matt

monkeybiter":3tmimlt8 said:
Were you not hugged enough as a child?

LMAO!! - I was looking at the pics and thinking.."I hope he doesn't have any young children visiting, they'll be scarred for life", then I saw the meat cleaver in the head and burst out laughing, your comment Monkeybiter just set me roaring!!

Back