Rabbit shaped knife block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted any wips for a while so thought I'd post something im messing around with at the moment.
I bought a set of knives, but there was a few extra ones I needed to buy so thought id make a knife block that would fit them all. I do quite a bit of air rifle shooting and a moment of madness decided that rabbits ears look very similar to scissor handles :?
he8ame7e.jpg

I started off with a 3 inch off cut of oak, glued together then cut into 3 pieces
ehuruje9.jpg

The original arrangement got altered slightly once the outline was cut out
vepyve8u.jpg

qynybyha.jpg

Its all very roughly cut out at the moment, just a few bits need sanding and tinkering with before I glue the sections together
uveberub.jpg

ymedegev.jpg

It does look very strange at the moment. Im hoping once ive routed in the eyes and rounded over the edges a bit it might look slightly less strange :)

Cheers

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Do you really use all those knives? :shock: I'm a fairly keen cook and I only use 4 or 5 at most

Alex H":3sjzg4cp said:
Do you really use all those knives? :shock: I'm a fairly keen cook and I only use 4 or 5 at most
Not sure to be honest. I used my tesco clubcard points for the set then added the cleaver, carving fork and carving knife. I move into my own place after Christmas so am trying to get as prepared as possible. I like eating steak & my pals like eating steak so thought it best to put a few steak knives around its back legs.
I was looking around john lewis and happened to notice a pig shaped chopping board. The idea developed after I saw that :|
vusyra4e.jpg

Im guessing monkeybiter wouldn't like that chopping board either :p

Nice, enough work Coley, but not keen on the design :? it looks a bit, "animal being killed by homicidal maniac" :shock:
Good idea ,having the scissors as ears though, surprising how un-rabbit like a rabbit looks without the ears

A few too many knives in that last pic, getting into porkypine territory there I think. Clever idea with the ears and tail. Should be ready just in time for halloween :)

Michael Angelis would probably enjoy that "I like rabbits" he says stroking the lapel of his floor length rabbit skin coat "dis wuz me ferst rabbit"

nev":55padw7g said:
A few too many knives in that last pic, getting into porkypine territory there I think. Clever idea with the ears and tail. Should be ready just in time for halloween :)
Nev I think you might be onto something with the too many knives comment. I stack cut the 3 layers so have a spare leg
u7yra5ej.jpg

Not sure why but ive always considered this the front and have to agree it looks alot less busy with the 3 steak knives on the front gone- cheers ;) I struggled trying to arrange the knives in some kind of order but also keeping them far enough from the ears to make the head look cluttered. Originally I hoped the end of the scissors would poke through and look a bit like teeth. They weren't anywhere near long enough. Just for fun im hoping I can add the top part of the bottle opener to its mouth-
de8y3a2e.jpg
hence the moving of knives from front to the back. I need to try and adapt it to fit in the middle section.

My original thought was that I wanted it to be a block type knife block. So not to life like but 3d ish
qa4a9aje.jpg

I cant decide whether to cut out the middle section of 3 so it looks like 2 front legs or leave as is. My worry is if I cut it away so there's two legs its borderline "why isn't it completely life like" instead of just being rabbit shaped.
Thanks for all the comments. Im replying on my phone which isn't the easiest of things to do, but appreciate all your thoughts :roll:

Coley

I notice in your original sketch it had a knife in the throat as well.....

I think it will turn out well, I also think that peacock [?] would look quite good too with a lot of knives, but less appropriate for the kitchen [for most!]

monkeybiter":2fmfp1wn said:
I think it will turn out well, I also think that peacock [?] would look quite good too with a lot of knives, but less appropriate for the kitchen [for most!]
Thanks monkeybiter ;) the two bird things at the bottom were supposed to be a turkey and an emu :D I did the bunny's tail earlier. It kind of looks like one of those cheap stubby hammers you find in pound land....
6arasune.jpg

Max Power":19tmr9sd said:
Nice, enough work Coley, but not keen on the design :? it looks a bit, "animal being killed by homicidal maniac" :shock:
Good idea ,having the scissors as ears though, surprising how un-rabbit like a rabbit looks without the ears

Well I love it for the fact that it does look like a bunny being killed by a homicidal maniac...

Cheers sammo ;) im hoping I can put all the speculation of whether its inappropriate or not by giving the little fella a voice
jy3y9asu.jpg

I used the same circuit on a johnny cash picture I made a while ago. If all goes to plan.........IF :? When the cleaver is pulled out or pushed in the rabbit will say a 20 sec message of how he's a willing participate. I managed to find a funny bugs bunny youtube clip....but its really not appropriate :roll:
The wires aren't long enough which is a pain so I might go try and find some after dinner.

sammo":1xiwj768 said:
Max Power":1xiwj768 said:

Well I love it for the fact that it does look like a bunny being killed by a homicidal maniac...
Me too,,,,rabbits and knives can have only one result,, pie,,here we come,,,solves the worry over the pizza cutter,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,

ColeyS1":h4q1hbyl said:
When the cleaver is pulled out or pushed in the rabbit will say a 20 sec message of how he's a willing participate.k

Getting more interesting all the time, you could also have LEDs for eyes which fade to off when you stab it in the head......I mean replace the knife in the top. :twisted:

sammo":2togzdu6 said:
Max Power":2togzdu6 said:

:shock: and they walk amongst us 8-[ 8-[

:? I may have taken offence to that, were it not for the the fact that it came from some-one who describes their occupation as a chimp :roll:
Most chimps would be highly offended at the intellectual comparison though :shock:

Latest posts

Back