Quick postbox knockup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
The words I most dread are "I've been thinking" so when my future daughter in law said that I might knock up a postbox for their wedding as they are so expensive to buy - what could I say.
Apparently everybody has one these days :?

In reality, I'm so busy that I really can't spare the time but wedding 1st May, wifie saying "tick tock" etc. I finally bit the bullet yesterday and literally knocked this up out of MDF, just glued and pinned. Got a lockable flap at the back so contents are secure.

My intention was for this to be a rough one first but not going to bother now as with a bit more filling and a final paint job, this is going to be it as I recon once the day has passed it's gonna end up on ebay :lol: :lol:

cheers

Bob

P1010010.jpg

Sorry but why do people want a PO post box - one for receiving post I can understand?

Rod

Harbo":asy8fnef said:
Sorry but why do people want a PO post box - one for receiving post I can understand?

Rod

I'm told that it stands on a table so wedding guests can "post" cards, vouchers etc. hence the need to be secure (depending on location) as some people give cash and cheques as well.

I looked into it and you can buy or hire them so it's pretty big business. real ones are expensive and even MDF go for what seems silly money.

Bob

I've been to plenty of weddings - that's a new one on me, what happened to the Wedding Gift list from John Lewis or Harrods?
When my younger daughter was married it was cameras on each table - we never did get them all back? Strange as they were film cameras and the purchase price included processing and loading onto CD.

Nice job!

I'm almost finished making one for some friends of mine. A quick look on line turned up a cardboard one for around £30!! Madness. The one I've made is a basic post box shape with personalised, scroll sawed decorations fixed to it. The idea being, they can be removed and kept by the happy couple without having to store a big box.

Hudson Carpentry":1jr2cho1 said:
What day does it get emptied

!st May.

Just got home from sons stag do in Nottingham yesterday so a bit "fuzzy"

I've been to plenty of weddings - that's a new one on me, what happened to the Wedding Gift list from John Lewis or Harrods?
When my younger daughter was married it was cameras on each table - we never did get them all back? Strange as they were film cameras and the purchase price included processing and loading onto CD.

John Lewis list in place but lots of people still give cash / vouchers / cheques and most bring cards it seems :?

they are also putting a "dressing up box" on a table. This will be filled with silly hats, noses, etc etc. and there will be a picture frame (I can guess who'll be asked to make that) which guests can hold in front to have stupid photos taken on a digital camera :?

Whatever happened to simple registry office weddings?

Bob

pren":rcpfgfrz said:
Nice job!

I'm almost finished making one for some friends of mine. A quick look on line turned up a cardboard one for around £30!! Madness. The one I've made is a basic post box shape with personalised, scroll sawed decorations fixed to it. The idea being, they can be removed and kept by the happy couple without having to store a big box.

That's rediculous for cardboard. I saw an mdf version on ebay for £200 which made up my mind for me but recently saw a cast alloy replica front for £60 plus del which I was tempted to buy.
Your idea of personalised scrolling is excellent. I suggested that on hers but she wanted a bog standard gpo box
Most time consuming bit was scolling the letters and crown from 3mm hardboard.

As an aside, I intend to wind up the bride by mocking up a very rough carboard post box and telling her that's all I had time to do. . - she'll blow a gasket :lol: :lol:

Bob

Back