hi from Somerset

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty187

Reaction score
Hi, I'm rusty. stumbled across this forum by accident while researching about "best workshop layouts" all i can say is mind blown 🤷‍♂️ don't actually know where to start now 😂

my journey that's lead me here, basically since I was 5 I've always liked the packaging that toys and gifts came in and always went off to make something 🙈

when i was 25 i finally started a home workshop, in my spare room, yeah really bad idea lol, then moving it into a shed when i was 30 and then a couple of years ago i moved it into a garage,
and now I'm 36 and going from garage (single car) into a rented workshop approx. 4m x 10m.

Along the way to this point i have picked up a number of different tools that the garage is now well too small. i mean literally, there's about enough room to stand with a coffee 🤣
i have a cnc, lathe, mitre saw, bench saw, sanders, welder, 3d printers etc, the list is endless.

Anyway, a few months back i came close to death so I've decided that its time i started to do things that i want, and what id like to do is have a nice bigger well set out
workshop, continue to make the stuff i love making and possibly start to sell some of the things i make, after all life is too short.

so that's me, thanks for having me, I'm going to spend my time here researching so i can have a well set out workshop and will contribute to this community when i can, but
I'm completely self tough, so cant really give any expert advice but can share what's worked for me as a noob.

The water is lovely come on in. Photos of things being made are well received. Advice is proffered from many on here who have no formal training, me included, so don't let it stop you, that's the beauty of the internet, 'caveat emptor' as they way.

Thanks for the welcome Fitzroy, i will most certainly post some of my makes up soon. Most of my makes have been for self enjoyment but am hoping to breach out next year, given myself 3 months to get my new workshop set up so builds will slow up as i slowly pack and transfer to the new shop (y)

Thanks for the welcome Fitzroy, i will most certainly post some of my makes up soon. Most of my makes have been for self enjoyment but am hoping to breach out next year, given myself 3 months to get my new workshop set up so builds will slow up as i slowly pack and transfer to the new shop (y)
A workshop build is always a well appreciated threads. Hi from another Somerset denizen

A workshop build is always a well appreciated threads. Hi from another Somerset denizen

Hi Paul, i was thinking of doing a build thread as i set up my new shop, that way if anyone happens to come up with any ideas about layout as i go along i can most certainly take them on board.

Nice to meet another Somerset denizen (y)

Welcome to the Forum Rusty. Sorry for the terrible joke! Sounds like you have had an interesting journey, but it has taught you something it can taker a lifetime to learn, life is very short. You have to make the most of every day and get enjoyment from what you do.
I'm all self taught, apart from what I was taught in school, long time ago. I never stop learning on here. Lots of really useful threads.

Hello and welcome, I'm new here as well. Sorry to hear about you coming close to dying but it sounds like you've channelled that experience into something very positive instead. I'd love to hear more about your new workshop, sounds very exciting! (y)

Hello from EX16.

Somerset is big, so you may be miles away or you may almost be next door!

Hi Paul, i was thinking of doing a build thread as i set up my new shop, that way if anyone happens to come up with any ideas about layout as i go along i can most certainly take them on board.

Nice to meet another Somerset denizen (y)
Bristol sends greetings to Zummerset. :love:

Thanks for all the welcome messages.

Paulrbarnard: wsm is indeed Weston - super - mare

Wildman: a warm hello back from soggy Somerset 👋

Sasndyn: all jokes welcome, life is indeed too short. And yes have totally directed all my energy into something I love, I've always wanted a functioning, tidy (not sure that's really a thing for makers lol) modern looking workspace and i will be looking to document my workshop set up here as a thread. exciting times. nice to know that I'm not alone being self tough, the power of you tube 😅

Workshopted: a hello from Weston super mud 😆

Allen Quay: from one newbie to another, Hi 👋, yes my close shave with death most certainly puts life in a different perspective, the fact I'm still alive really dose amaze me, but not wasting another minute of life. I'm really excited to start setting up my dream workshop and will start a build thread for it at the weekend :eek:

Julianf: hello neighbour, I'm in Weston super mare which isn't too far from Exeter

I came somewhat close to death about 20 years back. I'm told I spent some time in hospital with machines keeping me alive, brains scans, surgery and the like, but I don't even remember being in hospital.

Anyway, I likened it to playing an old arcade game. You're out of lives and the timer is counting down "insert coin to continue". You have no more cash, and it gets to zero, but there's a glitch and, suddenly, youre back in play.

It's all bonus time then.

My experience was 20 years back, and, of course, you forget and just get sucked back into normal life. It took years for the feeling to ware off, but it's not somthing I think of much now.

I'm glad that you are capitalising on the experience. Life will, in time, go back to not feeling as much of a gift, simply due to familiarity I guess, which is a shame really, but the more you can build from your current outlook, the better!

Hi, I'm rusty. stumbled across this forum by accident while researching about "best workshop layouts" all i can say is mind blown 🤷‍♂️ don't actually know where to start now 😂

my journey that's lead me here, basically since I was 5 I've always liked the packaging that toys and gifts came in and always went off to make something 🙈

when i was 25 i finally started a home workshop, in my spare room, yeah really bad idea lol, then moving it into a shed when i was 30 and then a couple of years ago i moved it into a garage,
and now I'm 36 and going from garage (single car) into a rented workshop approx. 4m x 10m.

Along the way to this point i have picked up a number of different tools that the garage is now well too small. i mean literally, there's about enough room to stand with a coffee 🤣
i have a cnc, lathe, mitre saw, bench saw, sanders, welder, 3d printers etc, the list is endless.

Anyway, a few months back i came close to death so I've decided that its time i started to do things that i want, and what id like to do is have a nice bigger well set out
workshop, continue to make the stuff i love making and possibly start to sell some of the things i make, after all life is too short.

so that's me, thanks for having me, I'm going to spend my time here researching so i can have a well set out workshop and will contribute to this community when i can, but
I'm completely self tough, so cant really give any expert advice but can share what's worked for me as a noob.
Hi there, I am in Sunny Cheddar! We all come to this by different routes. I am a mining engineer and have worked around the world promising myself that I would get a workshop when I retired. Eventually I did retire but the house my wife chose didn’t have a workshop or garage so my first introduction to creative things was building my workshop, 10m x 3m. Since then I have been happily populating it and learning and enjoying myself. This forum is an amazing resource, welcome to it. John
Ps. If there is one thing that I have learned is how true carpe diem is. Enjoy every day and do what you enjoy. J

Hello, welcome!

One thing to really put some thought into, as your first priority, is dust extraction. I wont go into it here, but basically, you need more powerful kit than you think and its not cheap. But firstly it will save your health and secondly, a great extraction system will eliminate a Lot of tidy up time.....

Kev 👍

Back