Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeddedhed":33lqkme4 said:
devonwoody":33lqkme4 said:
Next time I see a couple of 8x4 sheets in any condition I will grab them, must be some laying around unwanted.

If only you lived in Kent I could supply you with my surplus. I hate the damned things and always seem to have a few left over after a job. Today I actually abandoned 4 full sheets of 25mm MDF and left them on site after I'd finished the job. I couldn't bear the thought of lugging them up three flights of stairs, down a corridor, through a shop and into the van. Then I'd have to manhandle them down the garden to the workshop where I'd end up moving them every other day!!

I understand your problem and it makes me weep.
We had a builder a block away from us 12 years ago who did loft conversions and brought home each day his redundant 4x2 etc. and put them into a skip in the garden, my wife walking the dog used to tell me ;to get round quick. went on for around 5 years, I have got around 50 garden planters plus lots of garden furniture, he was pleased to see it go and I was pleased to receive, it got me off to a good start on my retirement but cost me lots of cash cutting up the stuff over the years, how about coming down to live in Devon?

DiscoStu":2psmieo7 said:
What size but do you need for tea lights?
44mm holesaw is what I use, however I use glass cups available from IKEA (£2 for a dozen) see pic below

Baldhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 141
DiscoStu":1agvwlw0 said:
So do you use a hole saw rather than a fostner bit? I assume you cut you board in half and glue if you use a hole saw?
I use a holesaw simply because there cheaper than a forstner bit, after drilling to the required depth I use a chisel to remove the wood.

Baldhead

DiscoStu":xoq08uzd said:
What size but do you need for tea lights?

I use a 38mm wood bit, but you need to make sure the holder Isis thick enough so you can make the recess for candle and not have tip of the wood bit protrude out the bottom.

And here's 1 of many I messed up today, I set up a system to get many made in a short period but I've gone wrong somewhere and the holes are off centre.

6nrsq0.jpg

7a7ubuta.jpg

Piano hinge, riveted on - with the help of Joe ! ( my workmates kid ) he doesn't know it yet but I've ordered a couple thumb turn catches that need riveting onto the perspex :D

Cross i made for vicar at fathers funeral, spalted beech and stainless. Vicars pic as i forgot to take any.
20141020_115730_zpsf2a7be2a.jpg
[/URL]

Made a noughts and crosses game for middle daughters school project.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414332891.647430.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414332891.647430.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414332891.647430.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 349
This is my first 'proper'(indoor) piece of non turned woodwork, a large chest/box for my wife(not put her in it yet :lol: ). It's made from pallets that have been accumulating from our house extension over the last several months. It's mostly put together with pocket hole screws and glue, apart from the boards in the front,back,sides which are glued and tacked in place. I sanded it just enough to remove the fuzzies and splinters to retain the rough look and used as many of the pieces with print on as I could. None of the timber was anywhere near straight, so a bit of fettling was needed to make everything fit as best I could get it to.....
No finish as yet as I don't know what would be best, advice please??

Anyway SWMBO likes it so it should be going at the foot of our bed, well when the bedroom is finished.....

johnny.t.":3q0my5it said:
Thanks John, I'll look in to that, if it doesn't mess with the colour too badly it might be just what I'm looking for :)
Johnny.

The liquid is also quite thin, so if you have a rough finish, the stuff will find its way into the irregularities without trouble.

John

johnny.t.":37geg4zj said:
not put her in it yet :lol:

I'm almost ready to put my missus in ours, although with no lid she'd easily come after me.

She wanted one out of pallets for the bathroom for towels and such, took me a bit too long to knock one together with just starting the hobby but since its been in place in houses the toilet rolls and two towels.

Very quickly knocked up a couple of these for tomorrow night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414693741.160533.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414693741.160533.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414693741.160533.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 228
Some really super work on display here, as expected. Way past anything my meagre skills could run to.

My personal favourite? The door wedge

Why? Because even I could make one of those.

K

Latest posts

Back