Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noggsy":1ry3e9cv said:
This was requested by good friends for their wedding. The spec was 14", natural-edged platter for cheese. The only thing I could find was some cherry trunk which was only felled this year, so there was loads of movement and it was obviously end-grain. I sliced it with a chainsaw a few months ago, then sealed it with pva. I then mounted on a screw-chuck a couple of weeks ago and turned it slightly hollow. The cracks were then filled with epoxy mixed with brass powder, left to harden and then skimmed. Finally sanded up to 2000 and finished with osmo. They were the simple steps, but I've missed all the swearing out, especially when my lathe broke a few days before. I learned loads, especially about epoxy and brass.

Finished;

Forgive my ignorance but why is the epoxy green? Is that a tarnishing effect in the brass or was it the base colour of the epoxy?

What did you learn about epoxy and brass (or other metal) filings Rafe?

Years ago, I tried to 'cast' some fibreglass resin, mixed with brass filings, in an effort to turn some parts for a telescope (That I never finished. :oops: ) I just couldn't seem to get enough brass filings in the mix! :mrgreen:

There you go. Happy Days!

John

DSC00890.JPG

DSC00893.JPG

DSC00891.JPG

Completely wrapped my kitchen and bathroom 'return' in 2" polyiso insulation, topped off with twinwall, then wood framing to imitate half-timbering. First two pikkies show how, last one shows patio nearly finished.

Sam

Attachments

• DSC00890.JPG
    DSC00890.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC00893.JPG
    DSC00893.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC00891.JPG
    DSC00891.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 475
Another beginners project for me. A pizza board made from random hardwood scraps that I bought:

pizza_board.jpg

A nice simple project but good practice for edge jointing!

Attachments

• pizza_board.jpg
    pizza_board.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 448
Hris,

Are your Pizzas bouncy enough to play Table-Tennis? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Nice neat job. And useful. (I'd use it as a cheese board, as I don't eat pizza!) I can't stand the garlic. :mrgreen:

Cheers. John :D

LOL John!

Funny you should say that, my friend and I tried to have a game of table-tennis using it and the plywood template. Although they look the part they are a bit heavy to get any spin on the ball!

The shape was copied from a wooden pizza board I bought years ago but which got ruined when somebody decided that it needed to be cleaned in the dishwasher... I am very pleased with the replacement, it was satisfying to make but it will probably see more use as a cheese board with me too.

Cheers,
Chris

Last thin I made.jpg

This was the last thing I made. I started it in 2007 and it still needs some bits doing to it. However, I used Satin wood for the quarter columns and didn't have adequate dust protection so became sensitive to the Satin wood and the mahogany it's made out of. Also I filled my work shop with the toxic dust. Will fit out the top two drawers as a desk when I pluck up enough courage to work with mahogany again. Only just got it my garage/workshop clean and have been able to started work on another project. In oak this time.

Attachments

• Last thin I made.jpg
    Last thin I made.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 403
Beautiful SM.

The epoxy was green until it was polished and then it became brass/gold coloured. I don't know why it was green, possibly because the brass powder was retry old and had oxidised (my friend's theory).

It should have had the same flame veneer drawers as the doors. But I made the mistake of buying only the leafs I needed. I made a mess of one so I didn't have enough matching leafs to finish the job, and had to do the rather strange job, I've done. Lesson learned -buy one more leaf than you need.

This project does not have much woodwork in it but serves a useful purpose.

My wife is unable to walk without the aid of a rollator. Recently we bought a mobility scooter which has enabled her to get around town and see country parks etc. However if we cannot get access with the scooter to get refreshments or use the toilet she needs to revert to the rollator.

I made this simple frame of wood and steel hollow section that can carry either a three or four wheel rollator.

Carrier 1.jpg

Carrier 2.jpg

Carrier 3.jpg

Regards Keith

Attachments

• Carrier 1.jpg
    Carrier 1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Carrier 2.jpg
    Carrier 2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Carrier 3.jpg
    Carrier 3.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 308
Made this for the wife's sister, her married names Smith and she lives in Cramlington, face is 9mm MDF, I printed the lettering out onto thin card and after cutting it out I stuck it on with Prit, then I gave the face a final coat of white paint, then painted the lettering black. I cut the numbers out with a jigsaw, I did intend to cut the missing numbers and place them around the face, I decided not to because
1 I haven't got the time (sorry for the pun)
2 I'm not sure how I could stick them to the wall

Baldhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 257
Nothing special just a holder for my new chisels... I'm very happy with it as its far better than the holder I had for my flat handle chisels

2ijm7b7.jpg

Latest posts

Back