Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Viking' Tafl game. White pieces are Ash finished with BLO, black pieces are Oak finished with India ink. Board is plain old pine from local builders merchant, with Sapele inlay, bought a 2mm bit to use on the router for that. A box is being made to hold the pieces, and the board will act as the lid of the box.

Overall, happy with the pieces as they look rustic and aged. Happy with the board as I did a good job on it, problem is the pieces and the board don't match.. pieces are rustic and look hand made, the board is too pale and pristine, and looks machine made.. so I'll probably make another board. Runes are a mix of scandi and saxon, they have no significance, they are just decorative.

Attachments

• 20240305_115735.jpg
    20240305_115735.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
'Viking' Tafl game. White pieces are Ash finished with BLO, black pieces are Oak finished with India ink. Board is plain old pine from local builders merchant, with Sapele inlay, bought a 2mm bit to use on the router for that. A box is being made to hold the pieces, and the board will act as the lid of the box.

Overall, happy with the pieces as they look rustic and aged. Happy with the board as I did a good job on it, problem is the pieces and the board don't match.. pieces are rustic and look hand made, the board is too pale and pristine, and looks machine made.. so I'll probably make another board. Runes are a mix of scandi and saxon, they have no significance, they are just decorative.
That looks good and you researched runes too. I made one a few years ago but did not go as far as runes. Only trouble is I cant get anyone keen enough to have a game. They all say whats that then loose interest when I offer to show them how to play. I think you did right with the simple design and I saw some in Norway where the pieces were just pebbles and the playing grid drawn on a bit of cloth. The cloth doubled as the bag to hold them.
Regards
John

Bookcase for my study. Oak. Quite an energetic job as my raw material was rough sawn oak so quite a bit of sawing and planing. But I’m pleased with the result. Now I only have about 300 books sitting in piles on the floor without a home😀
IMG_5368.jpeg
IMG_5368.jpeg
IMG_5363.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5364.jpeg
    IMG_5364.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Prior planning….
View attachment 177313
My small trowel got left out in the garden and I found it in the compost heap. Of course the handle had mostly rotted away. I have a second-hand lathe, first project was a replacement handle so the pair are together again.
View attachment 177314
I haven’t done much turning but I’ve occasionally been taking bits out of my log pile. This piece looked interesting and I wanted to make a small knob for a key.
View attachment 177315
I poured in a bit of resin, but it got way too hot and cracked. Pressed on nevertheless. Slightly alarming as some bits pinged off all over the workshop.
View attachment 177316
Tried to keep the prettiest bit, but in the end it would have been too big to fit. Yes, you’re right, I didn’t measure before starting. lol. It will find a home somewhere!
In the end I used the small round piece off the end.
View attachment 177317
Think I quite like turning, need more hours in the day. I have a box of things needing new handles…
View attachment 177318
That's gorgeous Morag, you could make a cord pull with the leftover bit.

A rewarding Friday evening build. Finally a place for all my clamps that I got sick of being shoved in various random places.

Built using 12mm ply a had leftover, a french cleat to wall mount. Still worried about the weight of all the clamps, time will judge
IMG_4551.jpeg

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4553.jpeg

An experiment, Oak, 1.5m tall obelisk with some 10mm copper tube (I had lying around) rings, as you you do when you've got a shed full of 40 years of carp! I have drilled the end's of the legs and will stick some 15mm copper legs on it, to keep it of the ground:

copper trellis1.jpg

Oh and a bit of turning for the acorn ish, finial.

Acorn top.jpg

Finally finished, a gift for my headteacher who is leaving at Easter, one of my other hobbies is papercraft, there are many birds and animals around school that I've made, whilst looking to see if there was anything new here https://creativepark.canon/en/index.html I came across a file for a bouquet of flowers and had the thought of getting every child in school to write their name on a petal, having 426 children that meant I needed to print the file twice and upscale it to A3 instead of A4 to make them big enough for the kids to write on, this also meant I needed to use cardstock instead of paper so the flowers stems would support the weight of the flowers making it a little harder to cut some parts out, combined with the vase I turned I'm very happy with the outcome
20240316_181151.jpg20240316_181159.jpg20240316_181206.jpg20240316_181212.jpg20240316_181220.jpg20240316_181224.jpg

Finally finished, a gift for my headteacher who is leaving at Easter, one of my other hobbies is papercraft, there are many birds and animals around school that I've made, whilst looking to see if there was anything new here https://creativepark.canon/en/index.html I came across a file for a bouquet of flowers and had the thought of getting every child in school to write their name on a petal, having 426 children that meant I needed to print the file twice and upscale it to A3 instead of A4 to make them big enough for the kids to write on, this also meant I needed to use cardstock instead of paper so the flowers stems would support the weight of the flowers making it a little harder to cut some parts out, combined with the vase I turned I'm very happy with the outcome
View attachment 177642View attachment 177643View attachment 177644View attachment 177645View attachment 177646View attachment 177647
Hi Stigmorgan
What a stunning and thoughtful leaving present.
I hope you are doing well 👍
Fred

Latest posts

Back