Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! Pretty creative solution with the jack connector also, using a strat plate mounted on the back pointing upward, that is going to work well, at least when on a strap.
So did you fume the body wood? What kind of wood is it?
Currently building a little travel bass (neck through, 5 string, 530mm scale length) myself, when did you glue on the headstock veneer? The pictures show it with fingerboard on and off.

Very nice! Pretty creative solution with the jack connector also, using a strat plate mounted on the back pointing upward, that is going to work well, at least when on a strap.
So did you fume the body wood? What kind of wood is it?
Currently building a little travel bass (neck through, 5 string, 530mm scale length) myself, when did you glue on the headstock veneer? The pictures show it with fingerboard on and off.
thanks, the jack idea is stolen from a charvel guitar I played, the wood for the wings is english pear, fumed with ammonia for 48 hours, the control cavity plate is also pear that's unfumed from the same piece of wood, I glued on the veneer before gluing the fretboard on, using hot hide glue, hammer veneering it on, I think I took it off for the glue up so I could clean up any hide glue with water.

Started off like this.
Screenshot_20231125_143101_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Ended up like this

Its finished in this colour so that it can be used in my gynaecology clinic if I ever open one.
20231125_095333.jpg
20231125_095347.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working on a guitar for the last few months, will show the completed one soon, here's a video to show the progress so far, I glued on the fretboard with hot hide glue yesterday:

Wow, totally inspiring 👍

As a lifelong guitarist I don’t dare dabble in luthiery else I’ll never do anything else ever. However seeing yours does make me want to have a go.

Wow, totally inspiring 👍

As a lifelong guitarist I don’t dare dabble in luthiery else I’ll never do anything else ever. However seeing yours does make me want to have a go.
thanks a lot steve, yeah you should give it a go, I can guarantee you won't regret it, playing something you've made is so rewarding

Simple but powerful......A straightedge from walnut scrap to run my triangle along.

View attachment 169906

View attachment 169907
I am doing the online stereotomy course and noticed the book in the photo. Are you able to read it? The majority of books on the subject are in french, which I have, but Google translate or even fluent French speakers have trouble with them due to the terminology. Do you have a method for working out exactly what is meant?

Achievement of the weekend so far has been to nail drilling plane mortises accurately. May not seem like much but this is a #4 plane so a 1/8” bit going down a 3/16” mortise and ending up in the right place rather than out the back or the front or whatever. I’ve wrecked a lot of beech doing this in the past but now done it 6 times in a row and got it perfectly straight every time. Being honest there’s also a pillar drill involved to start the hole, but it’s still a good step forwards.

IMG_4453.jpeg

I am doing the online stereotomy course and noticed the book in the photo. Are you able to read it? The majority of books on the subject are in french, which I have, but Google translate or even fluent French speakers have trouble with them due to the terminology. Do you have a method for working out exactly what is meant?
He won’t tell you. It’s a secret 😎

Not done this week, but outdoor projects over the past few months.

A gazebo for my Chinese garden. A big screen planter for a friend, and a gate/door to the secret garden (still to be painted).

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
My scratch built greenhouse, the granddaughters’ castle/slide/swings, and a first attempt at veneering (it’s a triumph Vitesse dashboard in cherrywood)

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpeg
    IMG_2232.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • D978B4BA-395E-4946-AAC6-ABE02CF7D7FB.jpeg
    D978B4BA-395E-4946-AAC6-ABE02CF7D7FB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Doesn't come close to some of the wonderful stuff on here (make my own guitar? Wow! I'll stick to my Takamine though....) but I enjoyed making this. The shaping can be anything you want it to be and, happily, doesn't require accuracy. And the driftwood came from our local beach.....

Attachments

• PXL_20231130_191128716.jpg
    PXL_20231130_191128716.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back