Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mobilised my workshop, mobile bases are a board with corners attached. Work great if you can bolt onto the machine base also, else things are a touch too flexible.
IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3023.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

I built my first box! One small step for mankind but a giant leap for this man.
My partner is out to Scotland this week, visiting her parents with the girls and I had to stay down south. Had evenings all for myself and the weather helped, so I built my first box to store the girls’ toys. No fancy joinery and I cheated with pre-cut plywood. As my “workshop” is my garden table it was made with hand tools only.

IMG_2743.jpeg
IMG_2744.jpeg
IMG_2745.jpeg
IMG_2718.jpegIMG_2731.jpegIMG_2736.jpegIMG_2734.jpeg

I have also made a kumiko lamp, well a miniature one.

The kumiko panels were all cut with hand tools which was a great learning experience, not use hand tools for much in the past.
I messed up the measurements which is why the top and bottom beams don't protude.
Used tracing paper for the backing as it's what I had in.

I need to get better at finishing, used shellac but put too heavy of coats on and it became a bit gumy and streaky. I sanded it lightly with 600 grit to try and take some of the sheen off.

You can tell which order I created the panels in as they slowly get better.
IMG_20230521_162226.jpg
IMG_20230521_162316.jpg
IMG_20230521_162332.jpg

Finally able to spend a couple of hrs in the shed so came up with these tea-light holders for my sister's birthday. Apricot branch for the 3 tea light holder and Cedar for the single 👍.
Still learning but having fun while doing it 🙂

Attachments

• PXL_20230521_161829185.jpg
    PXL_20230521_161829185.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230521_161816601.jpg
    PXL_20230521_161816601.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230521_161801275.jpg
    PXL_20230521_161801275.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230521_161730820.jpg
    PXL_20230521_161730820.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Having finished the desk project I told my good lady I’d take a break. So I tidied the workshop, during which spotted a twisted board of cherry that I thought ‘hey I’ve wanted to try making a box for ages’.

Mainly hand tool work which made a nice change, and reminded me I need to do more for the practice. Cherry from my garden and it’ll be oak for the top and base.

A sharp plane on the shooting board takes lovely end grain shavings.

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

Thanks for posting that - facsinating sound - very 'rich'.

I'd never previously heard of the instrument.
Thanks a lot! It's a basically extinct Musical Instrument, so I almost never hear a 'I know what that is!'.

It's called an Englische Violett. It's a near extinct Baroque Instrument. There's some videos showing how it sounds here if you're curious :)
https://www.youtube.com/@samlamingluthier
Sam, Thank you for posting this, you learn something new everyday, had never heard or seen an Englische Violett, beautiful workmanship and a truly amazing sound

Thanks a lot! It's a basically extinct Musical Instrument, so I almost never hear a 'I know what that is!'.
On Saturday I took the opportunity to bring it to the attention of some members of a scratch orchestra who were playing for a performance of the Mozart Requiem - it proved a great 'talking point' :) (I was singing)

On Saturday I took the opportunity to bring it to the attention of some members of a scratch orchestra who were playing for a performance of the Mozart Requiem - it proved a great 'talking point' :) (I was singing)

How wonderful! Thanks for spreading the word haha. That's quite the piece to sing :)

Just made myself a wine rack lamp.
Seen the design of the wine rack on Youtube, so just guessed the dimensions and thought it may look good with lights shining through the bottles, so bought some online.
Its about 95% finished, just a bit to do to hide the wiring, put some foam inside (so the bottles are not directly on the wood) and sand the back board.
The foam will also raise the bottles and stop them moving around, so should create a better seal where the lights are.

Its only the third thing i have made, so be gentle.

IMG_9330.jpeg

IMG_9329.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back