Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like building small boxes, they're fun and a good chance to try new techniques. On one of my woodworking YouTube binges, I came across a video of someone making a miniature Japanese toolbox and I thought the design was awesome so had to try it.

The locking mechanism is really cool.

Wood is a mix of whatever thin scraps I had for the most part. The handles are made from Padauk, which was insanely difficult to work with which is why I didn't use it anywhere else in the build.

Looking forward to making the next one with maybe a few tweaks to the design. Want to make a larger one too at some point.
View attachment 159097View attachment 159098View attachment 159099
View attachment 159100
I did one of these too(theres a thread somewhere)

For the wedge, i found that if you make it overlong, then tap it in a tiny bit firmer than it would normally sit, mark the lines where it sits flush and cut off the excess, you get a neater finish to it.

Took a couple of goes to get the correct taper.

Finally finished (just in time for his birthday) my son’s cabin bed (with mega storage and secret compartments🤫 )

Very nice! I like the secret compartments, but what is preventing wear patterns on the shelves over time?

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone on another site made a similar secret compartment in a set of built-in book shelves. The hinge had a slight bevel that lifted the entire shelf a few millimeters as it opened so there was no contact with the floor. The top when the shelf facia was beveled at about a 45-degree angle on the hidden side so it cleared the moment the door started to open.

On Friday I went to look at replacing a couple of panes of glass for a customer as they have a decorator coming to paint the windows, found one of the sashes was quite rotten so ended up repairing it over the weekend :rolleyes:

The bottom rail was really rotten, it's a bathroom window and looks like condensation has rotted it from the inside, also one of the stiles was bad, luckily the rest was okay.

Sorry, no before photo. I decided to replace the full stile, often as easy as splicing and makes a better job.

rot sash 1.jpg

New parts machined out to match, was just a nice simple Ovolo moulding which makes life easier.

rot sash 2.jpg

I love PU glue for jobs like this.

rot sash 3.jpg

Broken glass replaced and a bit of paint, hopefully good for another 100 years.

rot sash 4.jpg

Spent the afternoon making various jigs to help with making kumiko strips and panels.

Top left is a thin rip jig for the table saw, back fence sticks out 2mm as the strips I'm making are 3mm.

In the middle there are two 3d printed jigs. The left hand one is creating 45 degree cuts on the ends and trimming to length. The right one was an idea I was playing with to help keep cuts consistent. It has a 3mm gap every 10mm. Not sure if it will be useful or more of a pain we'll see.

Top right is a thicnkessing jig for my Japanese hand plane. Made out of MDF. My first attempt used a 2x4 and I cut the dado out on table saw, one blade kerf at a time. Then I realised 3mm is a standard measurement so stole some 3mm black MDF that I originally bought for the laser cutter. Made creating the jig soooo much easier.

And at the bottom is a cross cut jig for hand saws. The rear fence has a line scribed across it horizontally to act as a depth indicator. Seen other people cut the height of the rear fence down so that as soon as you cut deep enough to touch it you stop. Might give that ago see if it works out better.
IMG_20230516_192430.jpg

Very nice! I like the secret compartments, but what is preventing wear patterns on the shelves over time?

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone on another site made a similar secret compartment in a set of built-in book shelves. The hinge had a slight bevel that lifted the entire shelf a few millimeters as it opened so there was no contact with the floor. The top when the shelf facia was beveled at about a 45-degree angle on the hidden side so it cleared the moment the door started to open.
Nothing stops the scuffs on the shelf except a bit of glossy edge banding I had lying around which is stuck under one side of the secret box. I couldn’t really be bothered as I expect there to be lots of scuffs, chips and scratches in no time at all what with the feral 7 and 8 year olds in the house.
🫤

I'm probably being extremely dense this morning but BIN?
Fantastic cabin bed though. Would have loved to make one for my grandsons but at 15+ now it would have to be a long one.
Zinsser B.I.N shellac based primer - great for sealing edges but expensive.
It’s a standard single bed size so hopefully good till his early teens.🤞🏻
Edit:
Lol - till he needs to fit someone else in there!

Got the new (to me) bandsaw set up. Brand new blade so not a fair comparison but sailed trough a 20cm chunk of oak. Even has a snazzy laser showing the cut line, which I’m not sure I see the point of! 2007 manufactured and the plastic insert in the table is barely damaged, looks like it’s had an easy life.
IMG_3018.jpeg

IMG_3017.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3021.jpeg

Spent the afternoon making various jigs to help with making kumiko strips and panels.

Top left is a thin rip jig for the table saw, back fence sticks out 2mm as the strips I'm making are 3mm.

In the middle there are two 3d printed jigs. The left hand one is creating 45 degree cuts on the ends and trimming to length. The right one was an idea I was playing with to help keep cuts consistent. It has a 3mm gap every 10mm. Not sure if it will be useful or more of a pain we'll see.

Top right is a thicnkessing jig for my Japanese hand plane. Made out of MDF. My first attempt used a 2x4 and I cut the dado out on table saw, one blade kerf at a time. Then I realised 3mm is a standard measurement so stole some 3mm black MDF that I originally bought for the laser cutter. Made creating the jig soooo much easier.

And at the bottom is a cross cut jig for hand saws. The rear fence has a line scribed across it horizontally to act as a depth indicator. Seen other people cut the height of the rear fence down so that as soon as you cut deep enough to touch it you stop. Might give that ago see if it works out better.
View attachment 159314
Looks like lovely fun! Watched a beautiful documentary about Kumiko on Youtube recently;

well apart from making a cradle yes from pallet wood for my hand sander I decided now good weather approach to get right into my camper trailer project. Sadly my shed is only 8 x 10 and it was just a mess and totally disorganized so past week I decided enough was enough and I gotta load pallet wood, so everything got a place now. The table I made yes from pallet wood 30 years ago and was used as a dining table for 20 years only following my wife buying a new one I decided 10 years ago it was for my shed ( I don't give pallets away easily ). anyway, lots of glue sawdust filling burn marks ( ehh I love recycling drink cans into ingots ), and the usual drill holes brad nails, etc It was time to give it a good going over. So now I am back on the camper trying to get it completed this summer. I am waiting for medical as I am disabled but the doc says ok to drive now but dvla being a pain wants a medical. Looking back I could have saved myself a load of hassle and not advised them about my leg and just held onto it and not drive rather than advise them 4 years ago about my accident. But ce la vie ... anyway shed now gleaming ...

Attachments

• 20230517_145036-min.jpg
    20230517_145036-min.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230517_143947-min.jpg
    20230517_143947-min.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230517_142709-min.jpg
    20230517_142709-min.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230517_153056-min.jpg
    20230517_153056-min.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 0
Today I hung a door that I'd made and fitted a length of architrave that I'd made to match the original.

Worst part of the job was drilling out and fitting the 5" deep latch, never fun in thin doors 😬

Before

Old door.jpg

After

new door.jpg

Architrave

custom arc.jpg

I had to cut the rebate off one side of the casing and fit a new piece full length as it was badly damaged. I found the old casing had been assembled using sliding dovetails, imagine the look on todays average site joiners face if you told him you wanted sliding dovetails on your door casings 🤣

dovetailed casing.jpg

I made another Kuksa for my eldest son this week, it has a longer handle and it's a bit more practical than the first one. He's out camping tonight and he's just sent me some photos.

After sanding and before applying mineral oil.

20230516_184534.jpg

With mineral oil.

20230516_191240.jpg

My son's pics from this evening.

IMG-20230520-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0002.jpg

Latest posts

Back