Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder who stole the fibres / scrim out of the first lot of staff..They are also not very crisp , nor symmetric / balanced when seen up close..Must have been a lot of Fridays in the month they were done..Presumably the new team of staffers indulged in much head shaking and sucking in of breath through teeth when they saw them if your close up photos are indicative of the rest. Total Re-Do ?

Last edited:
A few more hazel bud vases today, this time sanded to 240 and left bare wood
20230420_172616.jpg
20230420_172608.jpg
20230420_172600.jpg
20230420_172550.jpg

Then I decided I wanted to do something different, a burl caught my eye, wasn't sure what wood as it was covered in green dust from being in my tree surgeons barn for years, it's bone dry and very very light, I got through the bark and into wood and I think it is possibly Yew. Quite soft in places but not too bad, I'm not too sure what to do with it next, I like the idea of keeping it as a globe but not sure I want the voids, I'm not set up for resin (and can't afford to go that route either) I do have several boxes of milliput, black or red would look good but may be too much space to fill? Would appreciate some suggestions from you lot 🙏

A replacement internal door, the original had been badly chewed by a dog, was hoping to fill it and make good but found it was worse than we thought and had already had broken tenons etc bodged so got the go ahead to make a new one. I know it looks like just a normal 4 panel door but it's only 6' high (why do big old houses have small doors?) and it's a nice old period property with lots of doors the same so they wanted it to match.

ST door 4.jpg

No photos of making it but here it is glued up on the bench, it was quite a stressful glue up. I normally use PU or Titebond 3 but had run out so used some Everbuild 502 and I had forgotten how quickly that stuff grabs, I was sweating a bit at one point!

ST door 1.jpg

I had to grind a couple of cutters for the spindle moulder to get an exact match of the big ovolo style mould

ST door 2.jpg

And here it is next to the original, might be hanging it tomorrow.

ST door 3.jpg

View attachment 157621View attachment 157622View attachment 157623View attachment 157624

Then I decided I wanted to do something different, a burl caught my eye, wasn't sure what wood as it was covered in green dust from being in my tree surgeons barn for years, it's bone dry and very very light, I got through the bark and into wood and I think it is possibly Yew. Quite soft in places but not too bad, I'm not too sure what to do with it next, I like the idea of keeping it as a globe but not sure I want the voids, I'm not set up for resin (and can't afford to go that route either) I do have several boxes of milliput, black or red would look good but may be too much space to fill? Would appreciate some suggestions from you lot 🙏
View attachment 157627
Hi Stig that looks fabulous my opinion is try to level the bottom or make a contrasting base and convert it to a table lamp your skill levels are increasing at a greater rate of knots excuse the Pune 👍

View attachment 157621View attachment 157622View attachment 157623View attachment 157624

View attachment 157627

Hi stig as Mick p suggests put a foot on and with the same wood an additional small dish or bowl then turn out the top of the sphere to the same dimensions then glue in place and after you finish starting up you'll have your self an ornamental grab dish for a sideboard or table. Very nice piece as is.

@Mick p @pat from Marck thank you guys, Mick I'm absolutely obsessed, if I'm not turning wood I'm watching YouTube for ideas and inspiration 😁😁😁, I've got a notepad dedicated to sketches and drawings of ideas.
Got this morning off work so decided to spend it in the makerspace, i decided to leave it "open" so after spending hours picking the bark and soft bits out of the burl I then rounded it off a little more and sanded it to 500g then liberally brushed in linseed oil and allowed it to soak in for 20-30 minutes before putting a cardboard box over it and turning it on to spin off the excess oil, I'm really happy with how it turned out, still no idea what the wood is but I don't think it really matters with this piece 😁

Been a while so here's the latest project, I'm not 100% certain what the wood slab was that I used for the table - but it is beautiful and rock hard!
The chess board though is made from Walnut & Oak with an oak trim.
The last two show it's resting place as it was made to Nest under the other table.

IMG_2948.jpeg
IMG_2949.jpeg
IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2951.jpeg
IMG_2954.jpeg

Regards

Padster

made a box frame out of american white oak, also cut some mountboard for the first time so learning some new skills, ended up buying a decent glass cutter as I plan on doing a lot more custom size frames, the finish is de-waxed shellac.

Attachments

• musicalpitchchart-1.jpg
    musicalpitchchart-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • musicalpitchchart-4.jpg
    musicalpitchchart-4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • musicalpitchchart-6.jpg
    musicalpitchchart-6.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • musicalpitchchart-8.jpg
    musicalpitchchart-8.jpg