Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange how ideas evolve! - For the two boxes I've made recently I used the same Catch (a close up photo is on the early December post) but I had to add a [Pop Up] pin so that when the catch was released the box lid did 'pop up'. Whilst the arrangement works, it occured to me that I could combine the two elements into one and the 'action would be much more efficient. The separate element relied upon a 2mm Ø hole drilled in wood into which a spring & a brass pin were held in by a 4mm Ø Ebony plug CA Glued in.

Today I made a prototype of the combined catch :
Button Catch with Pop-up.png

It's difficult to appreciate the scale but the main body is 12x12x5mm, the 'Pop-Up' pin is 1.5mm Ø and the spring 3mm Ø.

The images below show the components exploded - I've added a 5p coin to give a better sense of scale but that only appears in the second.

Catch Hook.png

Catch Pop-Up.png

The Pop-up spring is 1.5mm Ø and sits in a 1.6mm Ø hole drilled 2mm into the M3 x 5mm Grub Screw.

I don't yet have a box to make but this will most likely be fitted to the next one I do.

[EDIT]
Overnight I thought on the potential problem that the actuating rod might 'wander' - my normal rod is 1mm Ø and in previous versions of this catch I was able to drill a 1.2mm hole in one side and a 3mm hole in the other for the spring.
With the combined unit I had to drill the 3mm Ø spring dimple from the actuating side, which means that there is a 3mm hole for the 1mm rod to wander about in. You can see it quite easily in the first image.

This morning I machined a 3mmØ x 1.5mm 'plug' with a 1.2mmØ hole which I glued (CA) into the 3mm hole. After 5 minutes I was able to re-machine and re-polish the dovetailed side.
Button Catch Infill.png

The 'plug' becomes visible purely due to the various stresses incurred.

This time I did remember to add the 5p coin for scale comparison:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Very lucky, not much point of pondering the "what if's " but had it been a piece of solid oak instead then either it would not have come off the lathe or I would currently be undergoing reconstruction surgery to my face, a sobering thought to be sure. Use you're PPE guys you never know when you will need it until it's too late.
Perhaps standing to the left/right of the workpiece might help?

As I was often told with model aircraft never stand to side of the prop. Always in front or behind.

Last edited:
Behind a beehive, in front of a horse and by the side of a bull.
During my early days as a junior beekeeper with my dad, got stung and ran accris the felt tripping on a stone if something and land headlong into some nettles. Crazily I still went back for more!!

when my two lathes come outta storage they will be retro fitted with foot switches...

Manufacturers only put switches in the cheapest "STUPID" places......

Inspired by @petermillard and his recent Mondrian table I spent a wet and miserable day in the workshop creating a some "pallet wall art" for our garden (the door is faux)

Pallet timber planed and thicknessed, strips cut, all stained/painted and glued/pinned to an oddment of OSB.

Attachments

• mondrian1.jpg
    mondrian1.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • mondrian3.jpg
    mondrian3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
During my early days as a junior beekeeper with my dad, got stung and ran accris the felt tripping on a stone if something and land headlong into some nettles. Crazily I still went back for more!!
@Jameshow In case you are interested (and don't know her), ERIKA THOMPSON aka @texasbeeworks on YT has some really excellent videos.

She just did an appearance on YT Joe Rogan 8th December.

Three home made oval shaker boxes successfully gifted to my three favourite girls for Christmas. The product of some new woodworking skills learned from a master craftsman earlier in the year. The most tactile and appreciated gifts I've made to date 😎View attachment 150163
View attachment 150165
Hi, Peter.
Did you use a template/jig to make those nice boxes?

View attachment 150665

We built a men's shed!

Shipley, west Yorkshire!

Pm if interested in joining us!

Cheers James
This might be a really dumb question but bear with me I'm from Canada. What is a man's shed. Is it a workshop that people bring their own tools to and share with other people that bring tools. Or is it a place that the local qovernment sets up and membership charged to use. Or is it totally private and you get insurance etc so anyone can use. So many questions. This could be awesome for retired people to build stuff.

Okay did a little digging. It seems men's sheds been in Canada for 10 years. seemingly a new idea here, obviously from England or Europe, but still don't understand how you set them up there and who owns them. This could be a very good idea in my area. I don't know if there is even an other woodturner in my area!

Attachments

• D8598602-4A2B-44E8-9B85-2237709C43A3.png
    D8598602-4A2B-44E8-9B85-2237709C43A3.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
I do volunteer work for an Essex based charity and one thing I offered them was workshop time with a mixture of hand tools and supervised machine tools, however the charity weren't interested because my workshop is on private land - i.e. my back garden!
A quick google and I found this -https://menssheds.org.uk/ - boy they are just like the charity - sticklers for rules, endless officialdom and everything decided by committee's run by mainly paper-pushers!
I said to the guy who approached me, I'd be happy to provide training/instruction at their chosen 'shed' and that was over a year ago and its been all very quiet since...
I must admit I know on multiple occasions they have been sizing me up for a full time position however tbh they would drive me nuts with their procrastination and their total detachment from the real-world.
In my former IT career I used to be a systems troubleshooter in investment banking and usually reporting into directors and the like, where calling a spade a spade and not glossing over technical foul-ups but offering pragmatic workarounds to save the bank being fined e.g. by the regulators for some misdemeanour, my input was generally well received even if on occasions I was delivering news they didn't want to hear..
AFAIKT the charity I volunteer with are not exceptional in this regard, it just seems to go with the territory!

Back