Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the big board manufacturers take the saw dust from Ikea and the like , That would be perpetual recycling now how green is that 😄😄
I would assume that they need a certain amount of new fibre.

A few years ago I listened to a program where they were making paper and they said that paper can only be recycled about five times as the fibers break and become shorter. I assume that less overlap means lower strength. Maybe they use the short fibres for those inserts that are now often used in place of polystyrene in packaging.

I would guess that wood in boards would act the same way. Recycled timber is good is generally dry so less power is required to make new boards.

We went to a wedding recently. The invitation had a link to wedding presents. The Rope & Oak Company wanted £180 for a length of 2" thick oak, with some carving and 10 holes. I think that my version cost less than £30 and I've factored in my time at £38/hr and the machines were amortised some time ago. And it's hand-made by a family friend: It has a couple of metal brackets recessed into the rear face edge and I even made them a template for drilling the supporting wall.
wine_bottle_holder.jpg

Wow! Stunning work!
Still looking for projects that I can add kumiko work. So this is a mirror frame as a birthday present for my partner.

View attachment 146587

The frame is from a lump of beech that's been sitting in the store for ages. I quite like the plainness of the beech against the kumiko.

This is a closer look at one of the sides

View attachment 146588

Now to get on with the Christmas presents ( yes, they do involve kumiko :LOL:)

A pair of illuminated floating shelves/pot plant stands for our dining room. Mainly to have a go at welding with my new welder. I'm pleased with the shadows they cast.

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_092222.jpg
    IMG_20221121_092222.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221121_092247.jpg
    IMG_20221121_092247.jpg
  • IMG_20221121_092606.jpg
    IMG_20221121_092606.jpg
A pair of illuminated floating shelves/pot plant stands for our dining room. Mainly to have a go at welding with my new welder. I'm pleased with the shadows they cast.
Very nice, although I would worry about the bulb burning the pot/plant, can you get an LED bulb to fit? It would generate a lot less heat

Very nice, although I would worry about the bulb burning the pot/plant, can you get an LED bulb to fit? It would generate a lot less heat

They are 2W LED filaments and don't kick out much heat at all. I think we'll only be putting artifical plants up there to avoid watering near the electrics. The frame and lamp holder are both solidly earthed.

Looks great. Are you not worried about the door sagging and going out of square without diagonal support?
Yes I am and can always add it as an afterthought but there are 4 full width (80mm) mortice and tenon joints on each side and it seems super-robust to me

Wow, that's a work of art 😍😍😍😍😍 can I ask how many work hours went into it?
This is my third attempt at answering your question. I must be really stupid! Thanks for the praise, I really can’t estimate the time. Elapsed time was about 20 months, but I didn’t work on them very quickly. As a guideline, each spindle took between two and a half and three hours for initial shaping. I hope that helps. Best wishes.

Having made 250 tree ornaments, yesterday I needed a break so mounted an oak crotch that was very very punky, roughed out what I wanted then saturated it with CA, today I finished the outside then hollowed it out. Sanding to 600 gave a lovely finish to the CA hardened wood, hitting it with abrasive paste followed by hardwax made it really pop
1669158702394128167448303885085.jpg
16691587388684433309230363182128.jpg
16691587599394904402944161717031.jpg
16691587834346774959832263355389.jpg
16691588086227077088164022445882.jpg

Current state of the previously mentioned Santa sleigh.

Question I have, is that the commissioner has purchased scrounged 240v amp and speakers, inverter and batteries.

I'm thinking this is the wrong way of doing it. 240v in the possible rain, when there is no need for it.

Worse still they want 2' holes cut front and back into the sleigh!

I'm thinking......

Bluetooth stereo, 12v amp and speakers.

Led lights are 12v these days.

Any thoughts esp those who are acoustic experts or car stereo mods in days gone bye.

Many thanks
IMG-20221118-WA0002.jpg

Current state of the previously mentioned Santa sleigh.

Question I have, is that the commissioner has purchased scrounged 240v amp and speakers, inverter and batteries.

I'm thinking this is the wrong way of doing it. 240v in the possible rain, when there is no need for it.

Worse still they want 2' holes cut front and back into the sleigh!

I'm thinking......

Bluetooth stereo, 12v amp and speakers.

Led lights are 12v these days.

Any thoughts esp those who are acoustic experts or car stereo mods in days gone bye.

Many thanks
View attachment 147777
Stunning 😍 can’t help much with the technical stuff but I’d not want to be anywhere near 240vac in the damp let alone in the rain so 12 or 24 volts dc is the way to go ( imo)

Stunning 😍 can’t help much with the technical stuff but I’d not want to be anywhere near 240vac in the damp let alone in the rain so 12 or 24 volts dc is the way to go ( imo)
I would be extra careful about water ingress with DC as AFAIR there is much more corrosion with DC that gets damp.

So I had last week off to do so pressies for Crimbo - you may have seen my apple but thought it looked a bit bare so more fruit, another bowl, a camo razor - and there are couple of projects that aren't quite finished yet ;)

IMG_2782.jpeg
IMG_2768.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg
IMG_2773.jpeg
IMG_2775.jpeg

Regards

Padster

I would be extra careful about water ingress with DC as AFAIR there is much more corrosion with DC that gets damp.
But definately not as dangerous as 240V AC. Corrosion will just stop it working in a few years time. I would definitely go for 12V for sounds and lights.

Back